Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Morning sickness 24/7...any ideas for coping at work?

(27 Posts)
jessikins24 Mon 21-Apr-14 15:56:15

I'm 7 weeks pregnant and I have been suffering morning sickness for the last 3 weeks. In the last 5 days it has been round the clock, with very little respite. I have to go back to work tomorrow and I'm dreading it, as I get really sleepy mid-morning and feel constantly nauseous.

Does anyone have any tips? I've found that plain mild cheddar is pretty much my only want!! I've tried ginger tea/biscuits and also oatcakes but neither have helped, oatcakes did the opposite!

I know worrying about if isn't helping but if anyone has any good advice I'd be really grateful. Thanks!

icklekid Mon 21-Apr-14 16:36:17

Go to gp and ask for anti sickness medication?
I found salty food good- crisps particularly. When I couldn't keep water down ice lollies were amazing! I couldn't have coped at work without medication!

Bitofadilema Mon 21-Apr-14 16:38:10

Marking place. Didn't have sickness last time but was very bad yesterday. Also seven weeks. I ate a good dinner last night and today and feel better for them.

aclxxx Mon 21-Apr-14 16:42:55

first congratulations on your pregnancy. I have suffered with morning sickness - not necessary mornings but all day especially evenings. What helped for me was to keep busy and try to distract my mind!
I also snacked on dry crackers and oranges x
Best wishes, for the rest of your pregnancy and hopeful it will get better

I found googling kittens at work helpful. I was just trying to find my happy place/ distraction. Eat what you can when you can. It's not forever.

SouthDerbyshireMamma Mon 21-Apr-14 16:58:22

Nothing worked for me. Round the clock sickness is horrific. My friend suggested rich tea biscuits. Lets just hope you dont endure it until 18 weeks like I did. Its also made a returm at 27 weeks sad

LIG1979 Mon 21-Apr-14 17:19:49

I found b6 helped. I had to take 10mg 5 times a day and it took the edge off it. It did however take a day or two to start working and if I stopped taking it I would feel ok for about 24 hours and then start feeling bad again. (I didn't think it was helping and so would stop and realise I felt even worse without it!)
Hope you feel better soon.

LIG1979 Mon 21-Apr-14 17:20:41

Including taking it at 3am so I could get out of bed. 50mg once a day didn't have the same impact.

jessikins24 Mon 21-Apr-14 18:35:28

Thank you
icklekid I didn't even realise such a thing existed! I'll get an appointment asap smile
I've tried crackers but they make it worse sad
Thanks LIG1979 for the b6 tip, I've not heard that one before so will def give it a go. Will be good to take at night too, I've been feeling really sick throughout the night, especially when my damn bladder wakes me up!
Fingers crossed!!!!

LightTripper Mon 21-Apr-14 18:42:37

I actually found nausea slightly better at work due to distraction. But when it was at its worst I couldn't carry on much past 4pm (mine got worse in the evening). All you can do is give it a go and see how you do. Can you talk to your boss?

I would take squash, some protein (chicken, cheddar, hard boiled eggs I found good), salty snacks (cheddars are fab!), some sour fruit (I liked citrus, grapes, plums), and some sucking sweets (personally I went off mints, but found pear drops and those raspberry and custard sweets good, Tesco have loads of different hard sweets). Just really good to have a range of things so you can graze on whatever seems least off putting at the time.

Good luck, LT x

LightTripper Mon 21-Apr-14 18:48:34

Oh yes, and do talk to GP. Unfortunately what they prescribed didn't make me feel much better, so only took before meetings to stop me actually throwing up. But some people get better relief, and I think there were other things I could have tried if I'd gone back.

Hang on in there, it does eventually get better, and there is lots of support here to help you through the slog xx

CuttingOutTheCrap Mon 21-Apr-14 18:56:49

I found the distraction at work helped a bit. Also going to get fresh air when the nausea got too much. I found that getting too warm made it much worse. Food-wise, sipping lots of liquids (Squash), plain biscuits, boiled sweets. To be honest though, grinning and bearing it has been the main coping mechanism. Good luck!

jessikins24 Mon 21-Apr-14 19:43:51

LightTripper I'm planning my grazing bag very carefully, will look like I'm moving in!!!

Don't really want to talk to my boss yet if I can help it, though she is a mother of two so will hopefully be sympathetic if I do. I am sure all my colleagues will guess before long as I've completely gone off tea - used to always have one on the go! Will remember to take a bottle of squash too, water isn't too appealing at the mo.

I'm hoping too that the distraction will help, and now that lent is over I'm taking advantage of the boiled sweets!!

Thanks again LightTripper & CuttingOutTheCrap, much appreciated

Monkeybrain10 Mon 21-Apr-14 20:00:43

I literally just ate 24/7...make sure u have loads of snacks at work. Strangely i found fruit juice and salt and vinegar crisps helped. I found milk didn't sit well for a couple of months so used koko coconut milk instead...great for cereal as doesn't taste of coconut. Congratulations...it Will be worth it!

Kels13 Mon 21-Apr-14 20:48:07

I feel your pain, mine started about week 5 and I'm now in week 15 and it's still very much here! I haven't found any of the usual help except I do think travel sickness bands helped a bit at first. Boiled sweets and fresh air have got me through car journeys and I find I'm worse when hungry and tired - so early nights and constant eating. I tried medication but didn't get on with it, hopefully it works for you because constant sickness is bloomin miserable! Keep eating xx

Kels13 Mon 21-Apr-14 20:49:35

Also don't push yourself at work, if you need a break have one x

Barbsta Mon 21-Apr-14 23:03:44

I don't think there is one fix for everyone you need to find what works for you unfortunately. I found most things worked for me for a while then stopped sad have you tried anti sickness bands? They were quite effective for me for a while

Jcb77 Mon 21-Apr-14 23:11:51

Grim, isn't it. You have much sympathy from me! I found it was worse on an empty stomach so tried to keep something in it. Dry toast worked ok. Fizzy water too. Important to stay hydrated. If you're not managing/keeping down fluids or your wee is dark and or infrequent you must see your gp. There is often reluctance to prescribe anti sickness medication but it is safe (more so than getting dehydrated) and there is guidance available if you have trouble. Hopefully your nausea will be manageable, if horrible, and over soon. If not (you start losing weight,get dehydrated or it goes on and on) then there is a great hyperemesis support thread on here with tips and advice.
Telling your boss might also help. It's early days, but if you're struggling, praps better she know there's a reason than not?
Hope it gets better soon.

letsmakeababy Tue 22-Apr-14 10:49:55

You have my upmost sympathy, it is horrid.

I found the following helpful:

Plain breadsticks
Fizzy water
Mints (sometimes!)
Blocks of cheddar cheese
Toasted white bread
Ice lollies
Sea bands (worked a treat!)

Also eating a breadstick or two before I got up in the morning, not rushing around too much and walking for an hour each evening in the fresh air (however much I didn't want to, I swear this helped)

Best of luck and cross fingers it eases off for you (mine went literally overnight at 12 weeks, I could have kissed the ground I was so relieved) x

Kels13 Tue 22-Apr-14 14:25:52

Also the lucozade isotonic drinks have been amazing in helping my energy levels following being sick - worth a go. My midwife recommend them so they are ok to drink x

livingzuid Tue 22-Apr-14 14:54:14

There are many medications that are safe to take during pregnancy. If your gp is dismissive, and some unfortunately are, take the NICE guidelines with you.

cks.nice.org.uk/nauseavomiting-in-pregnancy#!prescribinginfosub

Don't struggle in silence or worry about taking medicine. It really does help. My baby is in the 90th percentile and I have been on a cocktail of different medication throughout. Doesn't stop her thumping me regularly throughout the day, now at 34 weeks!

And a read through the hypermesis support thread will give you more ideas. Diet coke saved my life in the first trimester at work, as did McDonald's. Gross but it really helped!

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/pregnancy/2027794-Hyperemesis-Support

Hope you feel better soon.

jessikins24 Tue 22-Apr-14 17:28:03

I can't tell you all how helpful these ideas and comments have been, I'm so very grateful, thank you everyone!

LightTripper Wed 23-Apr-14 07:49:55

How did it go, you made it through? At least it is only a 4 day week!

Littlef00t Wed 23-Apr-14 07:59:58

I personally found bananas really great. Also had orange fanta lots, the fizz sugar and fruitiness was a great pick me up at 3pm.

Also make sure you have a bite of something every 1.5 - 2hrs, I found this was my nemesis and if I missed the window nausia ramped up to sickness.

jessikins24 Wed 23-Apr-14 08:18:32

LightTripper it wasn't toooo bad thanks! I went in armed with a myriad of snacks and boiled sweets and tho I felt pretty horrendous at times, the snacks definitely helped! Lots of travelling around town today with colleagues who all walk at 100mph, which I can't seem to do at the moment, so they'll have to stick to my pace!!

Actually a 3 day week for me, as it's my DPs birthday on Friday...booked lunch at a posh restaurant back in December as a surprise for him and now dreading it!!!! Oh the joys....will all be worth it come Decemcer smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now