Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

I am one of those crazy people..

(13 Posts)
nc060 Mon 21-Apr-14 09:44:39

whose imagination goes into overdrive before a scan! I havey 20 week scan (at 21+3) tomorrow and so far have convinced myself baby is not moving as much (was inly feeling flutters anyway!) and it is going to be terrible news. I need to find a way to keep my mind off it today or I will go mad! Anyone else do the same? x

Matildasmam22 Mon 21-Apr-14 11:05:57

Yes I'm only 12 weeks but panicking over everything (doesn't help that I keep catching every bug going) and it's my third so I should know better blush

I'm sure you'll be fine tomorow, think the hormones send loads of people a bit loopy smile

Weegiemum Mon 21-Apr-14 11:15:45

I was that crazy woman!

Dd1 (14) has just left to go shopping with her bestie, and is going to her boyfriend's house for tea.

Ds and dd2 are having a "Star Wars" marathon.

The house is in chaos.

Oh for the "before they were born" days!!

MinionDave Mon 21-Apr-14 11:24:23

I was one of those crazy people too. Paranoid, worries if I didn't feel movement often enough, convinced something was going to go wrong.....
Pregnancy wasn't a lovely time for me!

squizita Mon 21-Apr-14 11:32:14

I think it happens to many people especially with the frankly unrealistic "I felt movement in the 1st trimester" brigade saying things that MW after MW deem impossibly rare. I have even rang the MW in a panic!

At 20 weeks, patterns of movement aren't always established at all. That's why they only get worried if you've felt nothing by 24 weeks: nothing not light movement even!

I have my scan this week and am pretty scared. But the vast, vast majority of women have a normal scan: and for the tiny numbers where something is picked up, many conditions picked up on the scan are treatable with good outcomes.
Still bloody scary though!!

nc060 Mon 21-Apr-14 11:45:17

Thanks ladies! we were ttc for 2 years and got pregnant using clomid so think im just super paranoid (dont believe it is real yet!) not helped by my midwife asking about movement at 16 week appt and not really putting my mind at ease when I said no! good to know im not alone and think we should all take a chill pill and enjoy the bank holiday! x

squizita Mon 21-Apr-14 11:51:59

helped by my midwife asking about movement at 16 week appt and not really putting my mind at ease when I said no!

hmm I would be tempted to speak to her supervisor. I am hyper aware of risks and cut offs as under a consultant following RMC. My MW laughed when I rang her in a panic at 18 weeks and told me it's 'rather early' to feel anything for a 1st baby then and not to worry.
Every MW I have spoken to (a lot) has a gripe about internet forums making women think they need to feel 1st baby by 15 or 16 weeks when 20 is much more average and there are no concerns until 22-24 weeks.
Here's an example of a reliable online source (NCT) they all say kind of the same thing: the 'average' time for a 1st child is 19 weeks+ www.nct.org.uk/pregnancy/19weeks smile

FoodieMum3 Mon 21-Apr-14 12:49:41

Very sensible posts squizita. I agree with everything you've said. Actually, I was at the GP at 18 weeks and she was very surprised that I'd even had flutters.

OP I never funky relax until baby is in my arms, and then a whole new set if worries set in confused

EllaBella220 Mon 21-Apr-14 13:38:32

I'm on my 3rd also and am a bit worried about the big scan even though I wasn't slightly worried with my first 2. I think it is because I am 18 weeks now and still not feeling anything but Squizita's post has reassured me a little for now.

hubbahubster Mon 21-Apr-14 16:00:57

I'm on DC2 and felt a movement at 18 weeks, then nothing until 22 weeks. Am now 34 weeks and baby is fine. Please don't stress! (Easy to say, hard to do...)

22honey Mon 21-Apr-14 17:03:23

My midwife also asked me about movement at 16 week appointment, I'd had what I thought were flutters but nothing remotely definate at all, I just sheepishly said I think I felt flutters and she wrote it on my notes under a tab that said 'Movement'! I was honestly quite worried at the time even though they found a strong HB straight away because as I said I'd felt nothing definate and felt like the question meant it was abnormal not to have felt anything yet! This is my first baby aswell and I wasnt worried about movement as had read it can take up to 24 weeks!

My 20 week scan was fine and I'm 23+1 now and feeling movement everyday. Its not in a regular pattern though with some days more active than others, so yes I still worry even now! Don't think it will ever stop.... xx

Chivesmum Mon 21-Apr-14 18:38:22

Although not the same situation at all I kind of feel similar....my DS was diagnosed with ASD last year and I've got my 12 week scan coming up soon and I'm petrified.

Chivesmum Mon 21-Apr-14 18:40:39

Sorry pressed post too soon!

Obviously the scan won't show up asd (I can't just symptom spot that for the first few months/years) but I feel it's burst my naive bubble that all will be well and it's opened the possibility that something might not be right.

Everyone keeps telling me not to be so negative but I am literally worried sick and would be nice if people actually listened rather than fobbed me off! But that's another thread ;)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now