Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career x

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Tests just don't seem to be getting darker

(20 Posts)
Divster Sat 19-Apr-14 08:59:52

I am now 5+2, and by now tests are getting very dark but not this time. I have had lots of early losses in the last 3 years, but not even got to a day or so after period due. This made me feel hopefully for this one, but the lines are just not getting darker. They have got darker, but are still very faint. I am worried the pregnancy isn't progressing as it should be.

I have been using Internet cheapies and this mornings at the bottom looks lighter than yesterday. The top test was taken at 14 dpo

Any advice?

beela Sat 19-Apr-14 09:09:38

Try a clearblue digital one?

ImBrian Sat 19-Apr-14 09:12:26

I think the internet cheapies can take a long time to get darker. Maybe try an asda or superdrug one.

zoemaguire Sat 19-Apr-14 09:16:27

What imbrian said. Mine looked like that with dd2. She's 8 weeks old now.

Divster Sat 19-Apr-14 09:17:34

I will go out later and buy some other tests smile

JustAboutAdeqeuate Sat 19-Apr-14 09:19:56

I know it's hard but please stop testing. The tests aren't designed to show how your hormone levels are progressing, how dark they get has as much to do with how much dye went into each particular batch as anything else (internet cheapies often not much dye, because they're made cheaply).

Are you under anyone's care for your losses? If not, speak to your GP on Tuesday, explain the situation and ask for blood tests to check your hcg levels. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Divster Sat 19-Apr-14 09:53:38

No I haven't had any medical care for the losses, they were all really early and just past without problems. Would the gp do blood tests, thought that was just in private health care which I don't have?

squizita Sat 19-Apr-14 10:07:39

Divster Congratulations! Step away from the tests... they aren't really accurate for use like that. If you're concerned, you could ask your GP for "48hr bloods" (2 blood tests, 48hr apart, showing an accurate number for the increase in HCG and progesterone).

On the topic of having had several early losses: if you have had losses, even early, and have had 3 or more in a row you are entitled to tests on the NHS. This would be done by a consultant gynacologist at a hospital and in the first instance would be a scan and a series of blood tests over 2-3 cycles (or one if you're pregnant and you alert them: they can only check certain things once pregnant). Early losses can be caused by various factors (blood texture, cycle issues etc') and these can often be treated with common drugs like aspirin or progesterone once they know. Did you report each one to the GP at the time? Even if they pass without issues, it is worth doing this (even very early losses can cause infections etc') - sadly some GPs aren't aware of the NHS guidelines for testing. The Miscarriage Association can get you support (or simply a leaflet to print and show your GP if they're clueless).

There is a thread here for those pregnant after losses: www.mumsnet.com/Talk/pregnancy/2051073-Today-we-are-pregnant-Thread-for-those-pregnant-after-miscarriage which is a great source of support.

lentilpot Sat 19-Apr-14 10:28:29

I drove myself crazy retesting and worrying that the lines weren't getting darker, but I'm now 27 weeks pregnant so I think it was just the tests being rubbish! The clear blue digitalis were reassuring (limited myself to one twin pack) xxx

Divster Sat 19-Apr-14 11:14:11

I don't think they would look into the early losses as I am 42, with 6 children. Feel like I am really pushing my luck now. I have lost 12, all early apart from 2,the last 6 have been in the last 3 years. I thought loss was a normal part of having lots of children, found out it wasn't when I spoke about to other women.

Divster Sat 19-Apr-14 11:14:50

I don't think they would look into the early losses as I am 42, with 6 children. Feel like I am really pushing my luck now. I have lost 12, all early apart from 2,the last 6 have been in the last 3 years. I thought loss was a normal part of having lots of children, found out it wasn't when I spoke about to other women.

Divster Sat 19-Apr-14 11:22:10

squizita Sat 19-Apr-14 11:24:39

They should investigate after 3 regardless of whether you have kids ... but as you say, some NHS trusts have an age cut off (which can be 42 unfortunately, although do check this) as that is when most women may well have more losses just down to all their best eggs having been used up. But it is worth asking!
If you already have kids, it is a good sign: again cold comfort when you have the loss, but a 'mixed' pattern suggests that whatever the problem is, it won't strike every time even with no treatment.

There is a book called "Coming to term" by Jon Cohen, his wife had a diagnosed problem and managed to have several kids including one at 45! Even with her condition. I would recommend it, it is very comforting if you have a pattern of loss.

Tranquilitybaby Sat 19-Apr-14 11:37:46

Get a classic clear blue and retest x

Divster Sat 19-Apr-14 16:27:58

I don't know, just took another one and it did this! Feeling much happier now, thanks for all your input smile

Mummytobeforthefirsttime Sat 19-Apr-14 20:41:28

Just to reassure you I bought the Internet cheapies and they were very faint until a bit later. I'm now 26 weeks pregnant. I'm also 42 and had 5 recurrent miscarriages and have been investigated.

Divster Sat 19-Apr-14 21:43:41

That's fantastic news for you! smile

I forgot how anxious about pregnancy I get! Blimey, hold your hats for the next 35 weeks!

Divster Thu 24-Apr-14 07:55:08

Just to add, did another one this morning, hadn't peed all night and it's near enough negative! Went and looked on Amazon for reviews and lots are getting near negative results at 6 weeks but bold positives on other brands.

If anyone stumbles across this thread in the future, the test is called One Step

HopefulHamster Thu 24-Apr-14 09:11:08

I did bazillions of that test and it gets darker very gradually meaning it often stays the same level for a week or so - and the dye can vary from test to test. Mine didn't start getting very dark until 7 weeks. Eeep!

Hamnvik Thu 24-Apr-14 10:10:12

My internet cheapy tests never got darker and my one year old is now clambering on me instead of napping. I would definitely go and get a digital. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now