Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Passed GTT but now bloods are strange at 34.5 weeks?

(30 Posts)
HowAboutNo Fri 18-Apr-14 21:52:12

Passed the GTT at 28 weeks, well within range. Decided to buy a blood glucose monitor the other day on a whim as I've been feeling so tired and have thrush that won't go away.

Results for today are:

5.2 before breakfast
8.2 1 hr after breakfast (whole meal toast, 2 eggs and some ketchup)
4.2 - 2 hrs after breakfast
6.1 - 1 hr after lunch (avocado wrap)
8.2 - 1 hr after dinner (chicken salad)

The idea was just to monitor it myself this week and then show the midwife next week just in case I've developed GD after the GTT. Looking for some advice on these numbers from those with GD, would really appreciate it!

BEEwitched Sun 20-Apr-14 21:13:04

Sorry hubba, I've just seen in your second post that your hospital wants you readings even lower.

I find that with my hospital that they are just casting a very wide net, I was diagnosed because my fasting level at my GTT was 5.4 (post glucose-solution levels were fine) and my readings haven't blipped since then no matter how much carbs/sugar I eat, in fact I'm 34+3 and my readings have gone down in the last few weeks (never above 7.0 after food) and I'm constantly starving, yet I'll still be induced on my due date.

HowAboutNo Mon 21-Apr-14 10:20:24

Really just want Wednesday to get here so I can speak to the midwife and show her my results and get a GTT arranged, just to be on the safe side.

Thank you for all the posts, they've been really helpful thanks

hubbahubster Mon 21-Apr-14 10:21:21

BEE there does seem to be a very heavy-handed approach to GD in many areas, I'm amazed that you're being induced despite your GTT and subsequent readings being fine! That's why I refused testing this time - once the GD label is on, your options are removed sad I think the OP's approach is very sensible

Yes my levels are fine too but the only concession they've made is to say I can go a couple of days past my due date before induction. Once the label's on your notes it doesn't matter what happens confused

In a normal pregnancy glucose levels will measure 20- 25% lower than the average non diabetic person, hence the seemingly very strict guidelines (ie 7 one hour after eating, fasting below 5.3 etc).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now