Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Whooping cough vaccine, again!

(2 Posts)
PJ67 Tue 15-Apr-14 21:29:30

Hi. I'm posting for my sister who is trying to decide about this. I see there's another thread but have a few specific questions. I have read that the current vaccine repevax is changing to one called boostrix ipv in summer. Similar but different manufacturer. Does anyone know why this is happening?
Also, as babies need 3 vaccines age 2, 4 and 6 months to be protected, is there any evidence that antibodies from the mother provide full protection, even for a short period.
Thanks

KatraAllandra Wed 16-Apr-14 10:20:42

Hi,

I've been looking into this today. There is a really good factsheet available from www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/whooping-cough-vaccination-pregnant.aspx#whooping

In terms of the change in vaccine it seems to be purely a value for money issue - the new vaccine is essentially the same but the NHS is getting a better deal from the new manufacturer.

I've just booked to have mine done tomorrow afternoon.

K

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now