Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Whooping cough vaccine

(25 Posts)
smidge1717 Tue 15-Apr-14 13:58:26

Hi all, I'm 25 weeks with first baby. Midwife has asked me if I want to get whooping cough vaccine. I didnt bother with the flu one as I felt not critical, however Reading about whooping cough it seems the WC Vaccine would be a wise decision?? Any one got thoughts on this! X

Boogles91 Tue 15-Apr-14 14:10:38

Ive got mine booked for the 28th this month. Im getting it done because i want everything possible for lil man to have the best start in life as there is a strong chance he is going to be born with kidney condition i was x

theborrower Tue 15-Apr-14 15:00:21

There's another very recent thread about this with a lot of discussion - have a wee scroll through the threads

Spaghettinetti Tue 15-Apr-14 15:08:49

the borrower's right. There's been a lot of talk about this. However, for what it's worth, in my opinion it's best to have it done!

ChicaMomma Tue 15-Apr-14 15:22:34

and for fwiw, in my opinion, it's best not to bother!!
but everyone has to make up their own mind on vax really. It's such a personal thing. My midwife and consultant told me that if either of them were pregnant, they wouldnt get it- that or the flu vaccine- that was enough for me.

i was told that because i'm having a baby outside of the WC season (due on 21 june) that it really was not necessary. Baby will get it as part of the routine vax schedule at 4 mths (or whatever it is..)

icklekid Tue 15-Apr-14 15:48:36

Here's the link to the other recent thread mentioned www.mumsnet.com/Talk/pregnancy/2051867-Whooping-cough-vaccination-at-30-weeks-To-have-or-not-to-have

I'm having it but I am pro vaccination!

OooOooTheMonkey Tue 15-Apr-14 15:49:57

I had it! Don't have it in your left arm though or you won't be able to sleep on your left side for about 3 nights!!! shock

smidge1717 Tue 15-Apr-14 15:56:42

Thanks everyone! Sorry I missed previous thread, have the app so sometimes
I can't view all the chats that are going on :-)

flymo79 Tue 15-Apr-14 16:27:28

the other thread is fascinating, I would like to see what evidence there is for not having it...

CarlyKins Tue 15-Apr-14 16:32:20

I definitely recommend having it done, had mine at 28 weeks as midwife mentioned it and I didn't hesitate to book for the vaccine. I personally think it's absolutely worth it knowing your baby is protected against whooping cough as it is horrific, yes it may only be a slight chance of them developing it but it's still a chance. I'm just a massive worrier though haha. Still would say get it done tho smile x

Moonshine1 Tue 15-Apr-14 16:36:46

I'm having it done. I know the chance of the baby getting it when he/she is here is very small, but I'd never forgive myself if they did get it and there was something I could have done to help prevent it.

Mabelandmaude Tue 15-Apr-14 18:04:58

As a midwife I will be having it

moomin35 Tue 15-Apr-14 18:20:24

I had mine at 33+3 (although optimum time to have it is apparently at 32 weeks?) and unlike some of the posters on the other thread found it didnt hurt a jot (it took a fraction of a second) and had no side effects :-)

DebH1975 Tue 15-Apr-14 20:10:22

I'm having mine tomorrow - wouldn't even contemplate not having it to be honest

moomin35 Tue 15-Apr-14 21:02:06

I spoke to soon....6 hours later and my arms gone sore!! Still wouldn't risk not having it though :-)

RAFWife12 Tue 15-Apr-14 21:06:46

As a nurse, I will definitely have it. Whooping cough can be fatal for small babies, so its best to do everything possible to protect them.

WishUponAStar88 Tue 15-Apr-14 21:08:58

I have looked a baby who sadly died from it so have no doubts in having the jab myself.

DebH1975 Thu 17-Apr-14 13:27:26

I had it yesterday morning - no side effects or pains (so far anyway)

smidge1717 Thu 17-Apr-14 16:10:28

Think I will go for it!!

PigletJohn Thu 17-Apr-14 16:31:32

I'm a bit surprised it isn't routinely offered to adults, it can be quite a debilitating disease.

Is there a reason for not having it while TTC?

KatraAllandra Thu 17-Apr-14 17:59:48

KatraAllandra Thu 17-Apr-14 18:02:01

Had mine done an hour ago, the injection site stings a little but otherwise fine so far. I feel much happier knowing my baby will be protected when it arrives.

KatraAllandra Thu 17-Apr-14 18:03:12

Had mine done an hour ago, the injection site stings a little but otherwise fine so far. I feel much happier knowing my baby will be protected when it arrives.

fluffandsnuff Thu 17-Apr-14 21:11:07

I know it's not the main point- but I had whooping cough as a teenager and honestly it is awful, even when you're older, so if you get offered a top up I would take it for yourself as much as your baby. I'll be having my jab done in a couple of weeks.

RAFWife12 Thu 17-Apr-14 21:57:41

Piglet - its part of the childhood vaccination programme. The reason it is given to pregnant women after 28 weeks is because that means the antibodies cross the placenta and give protection to the baby. Its a bit of a booster for the woman, but basically given for benefit of the child. Giving it when TTC is too soon as the baby wont get any benefit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now