Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

travel sick awfulness!

(13 Posts)
CatFaceCrayola Tue 15-Apr-14 10:09:53

Can pregnancy enhance travel sickness??

I've never travelled well but yesterdays train journey was horrendous!

Is it because I'm pregnant or just because I couldn't take my travel sick pills??

Any recommendations??

britnay Tue 15-Apr-14 10:53:01

Accupressure travel sickness bands smile

Boogles91 Tue 15-Apr-14 10:58:21

Yep! I gotten over mine when i was 16....just came back out of the blue >.< now everytime im on a bus or in a car i just wanna puke!!!its horrible innit! X

GoooRooo Tue 15-Apr-14 11:12:09

Yep. I am not the best traveller anyway but when pregnant I get travel sickness really really badly. I take a ziplock sandwich bag with me in case i need to throw up (although, thankfully, have managed to never do it on the actual train).

I have to make sure I am facing forwards on the train. Travelling backwards makes it 100 times worse.

Nocomet Tue 15-Apr-14 11:20:32

I only get travel sick when I'm pregnant. It's the one time I do all the long distance driving.

Normally it's DH who doesn't like being the passenger. Partly he feels vaguely grotty and partly he's an awfully nervous twitchy passenger.

Tough when I PG you can put up with it.

CatFaceCrayola Tue 15-Apr-14 11:33:53

I already have/wear acupressure bands whenever I travel.

is there anything I can take?? My usual tablets aren't suitable for pregnancy

not looking forward to the 2.5 hour train ride home on Friday. And hoping that tubes don't effect me too bad or it's going to be a lousy London honeymoon trip!

saranga Tue 15-Apr-14 11:39:20

I never got travel sick before being pregnant then experienced a horrendous 3 hour train journey. Get those acupuncture travel bands and flight socks. They made several 8 hour journeys so easy for me.

SassehMonsta Tue 15-Apr-14 15:05:58

Blergh, I get travel sick when a passenger in a car, but I have it worse now (5+4weeks) and have to wear my bands when driving! Was awful as the day I found out I went on train to the London with my mother, and couldn't tell her, was sooo sick on the way there. Tubes didn't seem to affect me (thank god!) but the tilting trains are the pits.

Afraid I can't add anything other than travel bands, and maybe nibbling on biscuits? Doesn't work for me anymore, but used to.

LondonJen Tue 15-Apr-14 16:11:37

Oh no! I am (selfishly) filled with dread after reading your post op!

I normally get travel sick on windy roads or if I'm in the back but we spent this weekend driving to in laws and it was horrible. I was front passenger and it was motorway but I felt dreadful the whole journey.

Thinking I was being clever I booked a train to visit my own parents in 2 weeks time, as I've never had trouble with trains. I think I might have to get some travel bands just in case!

I'm sorry for your discomfort putting it mildly and I have few suggestions to help. Sucking fruit sweets took the edge off a teeny bit for me. I hope someone else has a secret rememedy for you.

GoooRooo Tue 15-Apr-14 16:13:50

It cost me a fortune in my last pregnancy as I could not bear the tube. I was so scared I was going to be sick that I got really anxious about it. I ended up getting buses where I could and then taxis if I had to.

I'm still not that fond of the tube and will take a bus if it's an option even if it takes twice as long! As least you can open a window on a bus.

CatFaceCrayola Fri 18-Apr-14 15:03:38

Preparing for train back home.

Ginger capsules, ginger biscuits, wrist bands, boiled sweets, juice, audio book and ALL the panic!

LondonJen Fri 18-Apr-14 21:06:16

Good luck Catface!

CatFaceCrayola Fri 18-Apr-14 21:31:40

Made it home. Only threw up twice (a significant improvement on the journey down)

embrace the positives

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now