Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Bumps measuring big :(

(10 Posts)
Boogles91 Mon 14-Apr-14 21:21:47

Well im 27wks, and had mw appmnt today. She said hes going to be a big baby lol my bump has gone from being the right size for stage, to being big in 5days! Im now measuring 31cm....i have niticed he has just shot out my belly all of sudden, hardly had a bump at all until last few weeks. Is there anything i should worry about much? I also have a blocked kidney wich is more than it should be at this stage of pg aswell, and i also have a small frame. I just dont want any complications to arise when it is time for lil ma. To make his arrival smile x

StarsInTheNightSky Mon 14-Apr-14 22:01:39

I don't think it's anything at all to worry about tbh. Measuring bumps is notoriously inaccurate at predicting baby size, our very reknowned and experienced consultant calls it "witch-doctor nonsense."
If you consistently measure big, you'll probably be sent for a growth scan just to check all is well and make sure you don't have a lot of extra fluid or any other issues. In our area you have to measure at least five weeks bigger for them to be fussed about it and to re-scan, even if you have other complications. It might be different in other areas though.
At 28 weeks I was measuring 42 weeks by bump size, and scan confirmed that our baby was on course to be 11-12 lbs at 40 weeks, there was nothing to worry about, he's just big, but DH and I are both pretty tall and slim so we had expected a big-ish baby. That being said, estimating size by scanning is also known not to be very accurate.

If you're worried, perhaps have another chat to your midwife? smile

HolyDrinker Mon 14-Apr-14 22:08:53

Bump measuring is very inaccurate. I was measuring 4 weeks bigger - dd was an average 7lb 14. Try not to worry, it's really not very scientific - measuring the length of your belly in cm to gauge the weight of the baby inside!

Boogles91 Mon 14-Apr-14 22:14:52

Thankyou peeps smile i do have a growth scan next wensday due to my kidneys being bad and one is blocked more than it should be at this stage of pg so im a high risk :/ cant wait to see lil man again :D :D hehehe x

weebigmamma Mon 14-Apr-14 22:33:26

i was told mine would be a whopper. was just 8lb in the end! they had me so worried about it.

Suzanne73 Tue 15-Apr-14 12:12:49

At 36 weeks I was measuring 52 weeks. I was huge and in such discomfort. I had polyhydramnious. My AFI was off the chart. Tested neg for gestational diabetes. My little girl was born 3 weeks ago at 38 weeks. Was induced. That's another story. She weighed in at 8lb 7. No apparent cause for the excessive fluid. Apparently they drained 10L of fluid.

Confused13 Tue 15-Apr-14 12:57:23

It is unscientific as others have said. Also (trying to think of a way to say this without sounding blunt) measuring big is unlikely to have any real impact on how you are dealt with anyway. I measured big from 16 weeks and DS was 10lbs 14ozs. It was noted from early on but the reality (for me anyway) was that nature was left to take its course. Even in my labour notes the MW had written 'very large baby but mum is tall' and that was it!

Large babies can lead to complications but so can small babies, so try not to think that big = problem, because it might not be the case.

My friend was huge (and I mean HUGE) and her baby was 7lbs, as a previous poster has said it was all fluid!

AnythingNotEverything Tue 15-Apr-14 13:03:02

Suzanne - I was similar but went to 41 weeks before induction. My waters almost flooded the delivery room!

Wanted to say what everyone else has said really - bump size is not an accurate indicator of foetal health or size. They may worry if your bump grows erratically but having a big bump is not in itself a problem.

Rubyshoe Tue 15-Apr-14 19:49:18

Booglea, with our daughter I measured big. At my growth scan at 34 weeks was told she was already 5lb 4oz and to expect her to be 8-9 lbs. on the Friday before she was born I was seen and the obstetric Dr said "it could be fluid....but I have to say it's not. I can feel a lot of baby parts in there, it's a big baby" Quite frankly it was our first and I was terrified. She was born a week later weighing 7lb 1oz. All the Godzilla size clothes we had taken in swamped her. Bump measurements are complete tosh. Even the consultant said growth scans are frequently inaccurate unless you little one is very small. Don't worry as long as you feel well and babe is doing well it's fine. X

WinterLover Wed 16-Apr-14 08:26:42

really don't worry. They were adamant DS was measuring 5cm big at 35+5 on the Friday, booked in for growth scan on the Monday as he was a big baby etc, put the fear of god into me. I never made it to the growth scan. DS arrived early on the sunday weighing 6lb 3oz!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now