Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

I'm pregnant!!! Woo hoo! :-) help?!

(15 Posts)
Helsim Mon 14-Apr-14 20:49:23

So I found out this morning I'm pregnant, worked out roughly 5 weeks?! I called my docs this morning and 1st appt with midwife is 22nd may! Ill b nearly 10 weeks! Drs receptionist was as helpfulness as ever gave me midwife number and told me to call in for a bounty pack. Collected it tonight and called midwife and left a voicemail but I'm worried that's too late for a 1st appt with my 1st ever pregnancy?!

Does anyone have any advice for me? Shud I kick up a stink if the midwife ever calls me back? Has anyone ever been for an early private scan? Worth doing? Just feel I want some reassurance and info as the pack says I shud b having bloods n tests by 10 weeks?!

Help pls?!

H x x

weebairn Mon 14-Apr-14 21:01:11

Congratulations smile

Normally 1st appointment is somewhere around 8-12 weeks so that sounds about right! The early bit goes really slowly…

You need to take folic acid if you're not already but there's not really anything else you need to know at this stage!

Good luck and hope you have a lovely pregnancy smile

Boogles91 Mon 14-Apr-14 21:07:33

I had my first mw appmnt at 7wks, and your first one is booking in. It normally takes about an hour as she has to get all the correct info, and also takes a load of bloods. Aslong as you have them by the time you are 10wks i wouldnt worry. The only reason i had my first appmnt so early was because my first pregnancy resulted in mc at about 9wks. I was also given an early scan at what was 8wks, but it turned out i was actually 9+5wks lol if you have an early scan privatley, i wouldnt reccomend before 7wks, as normally you wont be able to find a heartbeat. They like to do early scans from 7wks onwards as a heartbeat can be seen from this stage. Theres nothing wrong in having one just wouldnt want you to have one too early and then start panicking if you cant see the heart and stuffs. I am now 27wks and lil man is stuck in there with his superglue bottle smile lol as a whole i really wouldnt worry too much chuck smile only if it was after 10wks the. I would kick up a fuss x

Inbl00m Mon 14-Apr-14 21:09:11

Congrats!

Yeah that sounds normal. I had visions of the doc seeing me straight away and doing some sort of test to verify pregnancy, etc., but there's nothing they can really do other than to tell you to take folic acid until later.

If you go for an early private scan I'd leave it until you think you're about 9 weeks as earlier scans might not pick up everything you expect to see and you could worry yourself more, especially if you're not 100% certain on dates.

EdithWeston Mon 14-Apr-14 21:13:24

An appointment at 9+ weeks is in plenty of time for bloods/tests that need to be done by 10 weeks.

If you want to "kick up a stink" and go for "private scans" the it is claer that the levelof NHS provision is unlike to be satsifactory for you, and arranging now to go privately throughout would be a better fit.

Helsim Mon 14-Apr-14 21:20:52

Thanks ladies, my sis has type 2 diabetes and my partner had a sister prior to his birth that died in infancy of spina bifida complications so I'm just a bit worried I shud see someone prior to being at least 10weeks?

Also ladies I had very irregular periods so I've used the nhs pregnancy due date calculated but looking to confirm I've worked it out right?!

1stly I had what I believe was an implantation bleed a week before my period was due so I've not counted that as a period?! Is that right, was to light to b a period!

So the 1st day of my last period was 7th march that cycle was a 30 day cycle. Month before was 24 do I average out my cycles or go with the 30days prior to my last bleed?!

I'm so confused?! Lol

H x x

WhoAteAllTheCremeEggs Mon 14-Apr-14 21:25:03

Those clear blue tests which tell you how far along you are were very accurate for me.
Congratulations

Helsim Mon 14-Apr-14 21:26:19

Sorry EdithWeston it's not that I feel it's unsatisfactory just feel a bit worried as it's my 1st ever pregnancy and there's family history on both sides of complications so was just after advice :-) consensus is that 10weeks is fine so I'll stop worrying and wish my life away to 10weeks, I know it's going to drag! ;-)

Thanks ladies

H x x

jodyb30 Mon 14-Apr-14 21:56:50

Hi all I have just found out I am pregnant after trying for nearly 3 years with pcos I am over the moon! I have a 6 year old daughter too... I took a clear blue digital test and it came up 2-3 weeks.. is it true they are different results from how the doctors calculate how far you are? I can not remember when my last period exactly was? I believe it was the start of march... smile

babymouse Mon 14-Apr-14 22:39:25

I thought that if there was family history of spinal bifida they recommend a larger dose of folic acid early on. It may be worth discussing this with gp/midwife now rather than later.

icklekid Tue 15-Apr-14 05:14:00

You've rang the midwife so just mention your medical history concerns when you speak to them- if they are happy you can relax and if not they may move your appointment earlier. 10 weeks should be fine though, obviously the waiting is frustrating but won't be long between that appointment and your first scan :-)

In terms of dating go from last actual perioand average cycle I believe is 26 days unless you know def 30 for you (using ovulation kits etc when ttc) they may well change dates during your scan!

meditrina Tue 15-Apr-14 05:28:56

As you have medical concerns, which you mentioned in your later posts, then it might be worth seeing if there is a drop in Early Pregnancy Unit nearby. That's usually the easiest way of securing an additional appointment.

Are there any other health issues that are on your mind but not in the opening post?

(And have you joined the relevant chat thread in 'Antenatal Clubs'? Ther are hundreds of posts on the two December threads).

Helsim Tue 15-Apr-14 05:59:32

Thanks so much ladies! Will join the other thread for sure.

No other health issues just the fact I'm 36 eek :-)

Clear blue confirmed this morning we conceived 2-3 weeks ago so I'm 4-5 weeks pregnant as I thought!

So excited it's almost a year to the since we've been trying!

Good luck to all of you and thanks again,

H x x

Heatherbell1978 Sat 19-Apr-14 12:01:05

I think you just have to be patientsmile I'm in Edinburgh where the first mw appt is at 8 wks. I had a m/c in November so didn't get as far as my first appt but then fell pregnant again immediately and now 23 wks with no issues:-) I understand your concerns cos I remember feeling pretty anxious the 2nd time I was pregnant because of the m/c but we decided not to opt for any private scans and just let nature take it's course. Oh, I'm also having my first at 36 and when I mentioned to the mw that my age was concerning she laughed out loud and said 'do you have any idea how many women in their 40s I see?' So I would rest easy about that:-)

callamia Sat 19-Apr-14 12:12:41

Don't worry. It's absolutely normal and fine.
If you're worried about your family health histories ring the community midwife team for advice. You know to take frolic acid, you know not to smoke and drink, there's not a good deal else a midwife could do for you at this stage. It's not unsatisfactory - it's just sensible. I remember feeling horrified that there were sometimes weeks between midwife appointments - seriously, they're leaving me in charge of this baby!? But it's ok - pregnancy has become quite medicalised, and it's ok for us to be in charge of ourselves for a bit!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now