Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

4th pregnancy/labour...

(9 Posts)
lucyfluff Sun 13-Apr-14 17:09:37

Tell me your stories please MN'ers!!!

Im only 21 weeka but would love to hear how you found it fourth time around grin

InspirationFailed Sun 13-Apr-14 17:19:40

It was quick! Under an hour from start to finish and bang on time date wise. I had a few niggles when I woke up which got a little painful a few hours later. I was on my own with 18 month old ds3 at the time and had to keep waddling to the toilet as I thought I was going to have an upset stomach. Ended up kneeling on the sofa trying to remember to breath and wondering whether I was in labour blush the contractions weren't unbearable but were pretty constant, every 2 minutes right from the start.

I decided after about 20 minutes of it that I ought to phone someone to take me to the hospital. I was only wearing a t shirt, ds3 was running around throwing toilet roll everywhere in just a nappy - I was totally unprepared! By the time my lift arrived 20 minutes later the contractions were every 30 seconds lasting for 2 minutes. Still not to painful, although I did have to stay on my knees! They dressed ds3 quickly and tried to tell me to get dressed - I refused blush and was pretty much incapable of speech!

Got to the hospital and I just jumped out of the car and rushed into the maternity unit, leaving them behind! Half dressed with my privates on display! I didn't even give my name at reception just said 'gas and air please' they asked if it was my 1st baby and I held up 4 fingers - I got the gas and air straight away grin

Ds4 was born 8 minutes later! Pain free and easily, not stitches or anything. I would do it all over again tomorrow.

The after pains were horrendous though.

MissSmiley Sun 13-Apr-14 17:23:22

My 4th was a VBAC 2. Fast labour about 3.5 hours. Not as fast as number VBAC 1 which was all over in 1.5 hours. Bit of gas and air no time for epidural.

Main thing to be aware of is the after pains. They get worse with each delivery. Which I'm sure you know. If you haven't had them after 3 deliveries you probably won't. Can't remember having then after my second section because of the pain relief. But they were terrible after last delivery. After the birth I had to continue with the gas and air for hours. Needed much stronger painkillers to get the contraction like pains under control. Someone I know who's had 6 kids takes her own painkillers into hosp so she can have them when she wants. But I wasn't prepared for that.

Congratulations on your pregnancy.

MissSmiley Sun 13-Apr-14 17:41:05

Hey Inspired my 4th delivery was on due date too!
Glad you mentioned the after pains too.

lucyfluff Sun 13-Apr-14 17:52:35

Oh wow ladies...two stories of super quick deliveries problem free smile I like that!!

I do labour quickly too, last ds was 1.5 hours so hoping it happens pretty quickly again, I think I'm more worried about getting the other three sorted out and getting to the out of area hospital in time!!!

I will DEF be packing painkillers re afterpains...thankyou for that reminder confused

Thankyou smile

InspirationFailed Sun 13-Apr-14 18:00:49

I took my own painkillers with me - 2 paracetamol every 4 hours (if I was lucky!) just wasn't going to do the job! Just remember the after pains makes me feel queasy!

I am so broody now!

lucyfluff Sun 13-Apr-14 18:55:20

Go for it inspiration wink

ImBrian Sun 13-Apr-14 18:56:14

I had 2 normal straight forward deliveries, then and induction with an epi which ended in a ventouse as I forgot how to push! Number 4 unfortunately was horrendous, I started bleeding in labour which turned out to be a partial abruption and baby was in bad position trying to come down face first. Ended up in theatre with a forceps delivery and baby went off to nicu due to inhaling blood, having a cleft and needing incubating etc.

It was all pretty fast and normal till near the end and apparently if she hadn't been in such an awkward position would have shot out. Pain wise it was the least painful till it went wrong.

I'm pregnant with number 5 so it didn't put me off grin

InspirationFailed Sun 13-Apr-14 20:25:30

That sounds scary ImBrian, I'm glad everything turned out well.

No chance of number 5 for me at the moment, I've been a single parent since I was 6 weeks pregnant with ds4. Maybe in a few years time, never say never :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now