Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Bed-nest, cot, Moses basket or cot bed??

(25 Posts)
NoraRobertsismyguiltypleasure Sun 18-May-14 06:55:36

If you have room, I would suggest a cot that you can take one side off and attach to your bed. We found a cot from John Lewis.
We went the whole Moses basket route for first 3 months, but my Dd never got comfortable in it. If I was doing it again I would start off with the cot and just keep the Moses basket for downstairs during the day.

Roxie85 Sun 18-May-14 06:48:13

I borrowed a moses basket from my sister and was glad i didn't waste money buying one. My little one didn't really like sleeping in it as she likes to spread out.
We now have a travel cot in our room which has an upper level. We can't fit the cotbed in our room and were going to need a travel cot anyway at some point. She sleeps so much better in it.

I've got one of each, apart from the nest thing. All of which were donations from friends/family. I just need to purchase new mattresses for them. Moses basket will be moved around house as a when required until DC gets to big. The crib will go into our room and cotbed will go in the nursery.

There's nothing wrong with buying second hand and replacing the mattress on things. I found a website that does custom made mattresses for quite cheap. here

Marnierose Sat 17-May-14 22:34:14

Bednest is £200 for a limited time if anyone is interested. I've heard lots of good things about them and can't wait to tuck my little one up in it this summer. It makes sense to me to have your baby at eye level throughout the night.

hubbahubster Sat 17-May-14 22:05:44

I got my Moses basket and rocker for a fiver on eBay. DC1 was happy in it until he moved into his own room and a cotbed at 6 months (and he wasn't a small baby). A new mattress for it was super cheap in Mothercare too.

For DC2 I've got a secondhand swinging crib to add to the mix, a new mattress is only £16.99 from Amazon. There's no need to buy everything new!

niccamor Sat 17-May-14 21:17:40

For our son (who is almost 6 weeks old) we have a wicker snug basket (https://adventuresofamum.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/moses.jpg) for during the day and a chicco next2me co-sleeper for night time. Once he out grows these we will move him into his cot-bed (mia from mama's and papa's).

We started with just the basket but soon found that we needed the co-sleeping option as I have carpal tunnel syndrome and needed to have him within an easy reach for the night time feeds.

I really love having both options, but if you have a limited budget I would opt for the next2me co-sleeper as it will also double as a travel cot.

As new babies seem to be asleep almost all of the time it is really worth investing in good sleeping arrangements for them. This is why I am happy to have both - the basket is very decorative and I love having it in the living room with me during the daytime. Sometimes he will go in his chicco chair, but I think he really is still a little bit too young to enjoy it yet and it is not a good place for him to sleep.

niccamor Sat 17-May-14 21:17:39

For our son (who is almost 6 weeks old) we have a wicker snug basket (https://adventuresofamum.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/moses.jpg) for during the day and a chicco next2me co-sleeper for night time. Once he out grows these we will move him into his cot-bed (mia from mama's and papa's).

We started with just the basket but soon found that we needed the co-sleeping option as I have carpal tunnel syndrome and needed to have him within an easy reach for the night time feeds.

I really love having both options, but if you have a limited budget I would opt for the next2me co-sleeper as it will also double as a travel cot.

As new babies seem to be asleep almost all of the time it is really worth investing in good sleeping arrangements for them. This is why I am happy to have both - the basket is very decorative and I love having it in the living room with me during the daytime. Sometimes he will go in his chicco chair, but I think he really is still a little bit too young to enjoy it yet and it is not a good place for him to sleep.

PragmaticWench Mon 14-Apr-14 21:03:54

I totally loved the bednest, it was easy to slide my baby in and out of, or put the side up between us. We were lent one but I think the NCT hire them for a really small amount (£50 or so), with a new mattress, when they're hundreds to buy new. It's bigger than a moses basket and much more secure/steady as it fastens to the side of your bed. My daughter was very long but fitted in it until ix months when we moved her purely because she was a noisy sleeper. A cotbed would be my second choice but you don't get that easy access between you in bed and them in their bed, you'd have to stand up to get them in or out.

SweepTheHalls Mon 14-Apr-14 15:52:05

Moses basket from eBay or carry cot for your pram during the day, drop side cot that attaches to your mattress for the benefits of co sleeping without the worry at night. Sorted!

ithoughtofitfirst Mon 14-Apr-14 15:49:02

Cotbed every time.

Thurlow Mon 14-Apr-14 14:35:07

Moses baskets can be quite convenient as they are easy to move around but I agree with others, unless you find a very good deal or can borrow one from a friend, it might not be worth the money.

If we have another DC I am tempted by some sort of bednest, next-2-me job, if I can get one for a good price.

A cotbed for me is a must in the longterm, the ones that turn into toddler beds. They last from birth all the way through to 4 or 5 years old, you just take the side off. You can get really good ones quite cheap from places like Kiddicare and Ikea. Even if you have a baby who ends up not sleeping along for a very long time, I wouldn't imagine it's a waste as they will at some point in those 5 years end up in their own bed!

HowAboutNo Mon 14-Apr-14 14:28:49

captain it's fab. I went back and forth on which co sleeper to get, but the snuzpod is perfect.

captaincake Mon 14-Apr-14 10:04:50

I'm really glad you said that how as we've bought a snuzpod too but haven't put it up yet. It looks great and I'm looking forward to getting it ready when we get a spare 5 minutes.

HowAboutNo Mon 14-Apr-14 09:52:39

I really really recommend the Snuzpod from the little green sheep company. Would cost £200 for the frame and mattress, but if you can go and collect from their head office, they have ex display that are £99, which with a new mattress (£50) brings it down to £150, which is the same price as the chicco next 2 me. The Snuzpod is HUGE and rocks which will be great for getting my little one to sleep. I'm in love with it (if you couldn't tell...)

Cariad007 Mon 14-Apr-14 00:53:22

You can hire a Bdnest for 6 months which tbh is as LNG as you'd se it anyway. That's what I did but it was in vain as DS prefers to cosleep!

Poppet77 Mon 14-Apr-14 00:20:45

Many thanks for all your suggestions and experience.

Shukran Sun 13-Apr-14 19:28:27

If money wasn't an issue then bed nest every time, I loved ours. Bought a cot bed when DD went into own room at 6 months as cot wouldn't fit in our room.
Had Moses basket downstairs but it was so low it hurt my back so mainly used the pram (ventilated base) for naps, she looked too big for Moses basket by about 8 weeks anyway.

Clargo55 Sun 13-Apr-14 16:30:44

We're going to get the Chicco next 2 me crib, which should last until six months for our room.

whereisthewitch Sun 13-Apr-14 10:40:56

You can buy a small basic cot and mattress in ikea for £45.
We have a moses basket but we also have very big babies and it only lasted us 8 weeks last time so going to put the ikea cot in our room and keep the basket for downstairs. Once the baby is big enough for its own room it will go into the cotbed we had for DD.
we borrowed a ctib last time but dd hated it because het arms always got stuck in the slats and the mattress was so thin!

OneLittleToddleTerror Sun 13-Apr-14 10:39:08

I think this answers your question Cot beds are a bit big for fitting in the same room but last longer!

We had a cot bed from birth and it's been great. DD is still sleeping in it at 3! They are the same size as toddler beds, which is supposed to last to about school age. We can fit a cot bed at the end of our bed, so that's what we went with. I'd love a bed nest but there is only space to fit a person standing on either side of our double bed.

I wouldn't want my newborn to be sleeping in another room. So for me, it's whatever that will fit into your bedroom really.

PeaceLillyDoge Sun 13-Apr-14 10:36:29

We borrowed a moses basket from a friend and bought a new mattress f for it for a tenner. Some are bigger than others so I'd recommend getting a bigger one if you do go down this route.

We've also got a cot bed for when she's grown out of the moses basket which the grandparents bought. It was 200 quid inc mattress from John Lewis and should last until she is five.

SellyMevs Sun 13-Apr-14 10:31:06

I went for a swinging crib.. A bit bigger than a moses basket so could last longer. It does take up a lot more room, but I bought it for a tenner on Gumtree. I just need to get a new mattress for it! Our travel system also has a cot that is ventilated and suitable for over night sleeping so I will probably use that for naps during the day downstairs.

Mummymidwife87 Sun 13-Apr-14 10:00:29

We have gone for a petite cot from mamas and papas. They last for up to 12months, 65cm x 95cm I think. It was £89.95 online inc mattress. You can buy cheaper ones in kiddicare. We live in a 2 bed flat so short on space. This cot will fit comfortably in our room and easily moved to the nursery as required

I personally think Moses baskets are a waste of money, rarely last the full 6months as advertised.

laura2323 Sun 13-Apr-14 09:56:39

I have a Moses basket for downstairs (which my dd still fits in at 24weeks!) and a swinging crib next to my bed. Also just got a cotbed for the nursery. Can get good deals on 2nd hand stuff but you will still need a new mattress x

Poppet77 Sun 13-Apr-14 09:52:57

Hi, I am at a bit of a loss at what to get for the baby's sleeping arrangements. We don't have a lot of money to spare but want to get something convenient for having baby sleep in the same room as us for first six months I think. It seems that Moses baskets are good because they are quite cheap and portable but don't last very long. Cot beds are a bit big for fitting in the same room but last longer! Very confused! Any advice on this matter is welcomed. Thanks x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now