Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Requesting an induction/sweep/something before due date?

(7 Posts)
EllaJayne123 Sat 12-Apr-14 18:38:24

Hi just wondering as this is my first pregnancy if you can request something to get labour started on your due date or atleast post 38 weeks once bubba is term? I've had an awful pregnancy, sick all through the day, back ache constant Braxton hicks, unbearable backache and working full time until 40 weeks (if I can) just wondered if midwife would allow anything before I'm over due? Can't imagine coping any longer than I have too, as long as bubba's cooked an well I don't see why I can't? Any one got an experience of this? Or would I be looked at like a crazy person? Thanks smile

If the baby is ok then no, they won't do anything that early. It depends where you live - I know people who were offered a sweep at 40 weeks but where I live it's 41 weeks.

snoggle Sat 12-Apr-14 18:43:00

Not unless there is an urgent risk to your or baby's health, in which case you could be induced. But otherwise they wouldn't do it as induction can carry complications.

A sweep doesn't work unless you are very close to getting there anyway, and they won't do it before 41 weeks. If there is no reason to speed things up, then it's better for you and baby to go into labour naturally.

RandomMess Sat 12-Apr-14 18:43:30

Inductions come with increased risks so they are unlikely to consider it for the reasons you've given so far.

You can ask for sweeps however they are painful and unlikely to work unless you are already starting to show signs of heading that way tbh. You may be someone who has short pregnancies and baby turns up befor 40 weeks anyway.

Speak to your midwife about it see what there standard policy is.

Meerka Sat 12-Apr-14 19:09:19

Im not in the uk so anything I say may not be that useful sad but I asked the same thing due to HG and advanced maternal age. Gyne agreed that all was well with the baby but that the preg was too heavy on me so I am being induced on the day I get to fullterm, 38 weeks, probably with p-whatsit pessaries as my cervix is pretty unripe.

It can't hurt to ask. You never know.

PenguinsEatSpinach Sat 12-Apr-14 19:35:02

Agree with what others have said. Assuming you are in the UK, no, they will not do anything before at least 40 weeks without specific medical indications. And in many areas 41 weeks for a sweep. You aren't 'over' until 42 weeks, just as you aren't 'under' past 37.

Bear in mind that, whilst 38 weeks is term, that doesn't mean that all babies are ready to come at 38 weeks. Babies who come by themselves at 38 tend to be ready. But, for example, planned sections now rarely take place before 39 weeks because of the risk of lung immaturity (and that is balancing the risk of going into labour before the planned date, hence 39 weeks and not 40).

Also, as others have said, a sweep is only something that might nudge you along if you are nearly ready, not something likely to get you going if not.

Sammi1986 Sat 12-Apr-14 19:39:35

I'm having this at the moment. I'm 38+3 and I'm not coping due to spd and no sleep. I also have a history of severe anxiety and depression, because of that it has been agreed that I can have a sweep at 39 weeks, but was refused at 38 weeks.

I was told today they won't induce me at due date but I will have an appointment to discuss it once I reach 40 weeks.

So basically no, if nothings wrong they leave ypu. I'm bloomin lucky to be getting a sweep!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now