Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

QUICK / URGENT ADVICE NEEDED - doc's appointment in half an hour

(11 Posts)
loubylou8 Fri 11-Apr-14 15:59:20

I am going for first doctor's appointment since I found out I'm preggers - should my DH come with me?

He wants to - not least as he's lovely and supportive - but I feel a bit weird about that. Is that odd?

So should I let him come along or should I go it alone?

gamerchick Fri 11-Apr-14 16:02:03

I wouldn't bother.. you'll only be in minutes. In..Tell Dr.. he'll update the computer and do you a script for folic acid.

Bobs your uncle.

All they do is check your blood pressure, say congratulations and tell u to take vits. I didn't even bother seeing gp this time, just rang him and told him. Up to you, but it isn't a big deal unless you have lots of questions which you can go over in your booking appt with MW

3DcAndMe Fri 11-Apr-14 16:03:41

It's up to you really not a great deal happens

LouisaJF Fri 11-Apr-14 16:04:07

There's no reason why he shouldn't go, there are no examinations. They will work out your dates, book you in with the midwife and go over your general health. If he wants to go, I would let him. It's easy for dads to feel very much on the outside during pregnancy so let him get involved.

Mummywithlove Fri 11-Apr-14 16:04:38

I would personally say to go with u because men will only think ur leaving them out lol you will only be in there about 5 mins but its totally down to u lol.
xx good luck with ur pregnancy x

loubylou8 Fri 11-Apr-14 16:05:09

Thank you all very much! Most helpful.

WeeClype Fri 11-Apr-14 16:20:20

It is probably better if he goes to the 1st midwife booking-in app as you'll get asked loads of medical history questions about you and your DH's family.

Congratulations thanks

loubylou8 Fri 11-Apr-14 18:27:45

He came with me in the end and had to endure 10 minute, graphic description by male doctor of natural childbirth...

And Thank you, WeeClype!

I could also tell Doctor is not in favour of finding out gender. He said "those scans can be wrong'

MrsTonsofbloodykids Fri 11-Apr-14 20:46:14

What an unusual GP!

7 pregnancies & I've never had a gp give a graphic description of childbirth or refer to scans as being 'wtong'.

Glad your appointment went well.

Good luck!

loubylou8 Fri 11-Apr-14 21:24:09

Thanks Mrstonsofbloodykids!

I think it's because I asked whether I would be able to talk to the midwife about birth choices as I wanted to think through the different options ahead of me and he said literally no consultant would ever give me a ECS in my situation, recommended I read a book about hippies giving birth in the woods and then described birth in great details!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now