Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Feeling so overwhelmed

(7 Posts)
mssleepyhead Fri 11-Apr-14 08:49:48

We had our twenty week scan this week and all was well and I think with those worries over the reality of what we're doing had just started to hit me. I'm suddenly feeling so overwhelmed. I know it's stupid and I'm getting way too far ahead of myself, but I've even spent this morning looking up schools and panicking over how on earth I juggle working (as a teacher) with school hours and which schools are possibilities and if we should move...! Little boy isn't even here yet! I just can't quite get my head about how much things are about to change and the sense of responsibility I feel about doing the right thing for him. I'm terrified...

ithoughtofitfirst Fri 11-Apr-14 08:57:54

This is going to sound absolute cheese but try and take each day as it comes. Have faith in yourself that you will cope the same way you've coped with everything else life has thrown at you. It will all work itself out. It's good to do a bit of research into schools and nurseries etc but try not to stress. Just think of it as one less thing to do once the baby is born.

You've got through the first trimester and work... mega hats off to you. You will be FINE. X

buildalegohouse Fri 11-Apr-14 10:01:26

I don't have any advice, I'm afraid, but I am feeling exactly the same at 11 weeks. I am dreading maternity leave (i am a teacher too), have no idea what to do for child care and need to find somewhere new to live. I am completely overwhelmed and terrified.

Hopefully there are others out there who have felt like this and came out the otherside positively.

hubbahubster Fri 11-Apr-14 10:30:19

You're a teacher? That's a whole heap of worries about school holiday childcare you don't even have to think about! DC1 is starting pre-school this Sept and I'm now panicking at the thought of what to do with him for the summer holidays etc while I'm at work…

I have a fabulous childminder who will do school pickup/drop off since I have to leave at 8.30 and don't get home until after 6 – you'll be able to find one who does the same during term time. But honestly… you really don't have to think about this now!

jessplussomeonenew Fri 11-Apr-14 10:44:50

MsSleepy, I feel very similar just now - there's something about getting to the halfway point (I'm 20 weeks today) that suddenly makes it all seem a lot more imminent, and there's so much to be done to prepare for a complete life changing event. I'm trying to decide whether to make a list of things that need to be done or whether that would just make me more stressed.

Hormones don't help of course - I nearly had a meltdown last week about where to put the nursing chair that a friend is very kindly giving us, because right now our spare rooms seem far too full of our stuff to have any room for baby stuff!

Still, millions people have done it all before and they've pretty much all seemed to manage somehow, so I'm sure we will manage it too, even if it's hard to imagine how right now!

mssleepyhead Sat 12-Apr-14 15:10:51

thank you everyone for your supportive messages yesterday. maybe it was a hormone thing but the day ended with a crying meltdown about not being a good mum because i'm not enjoying this and feel so worried and overwhelmed, but luckily slept on it and feel much better today : ) still scared, but in a more manageable way. reading your messages today with a clearer mind have really helped.

Mabelandmaude Sat 12-Apr-14 17:06:47

Just look forward to greeting a healthy baby as a first step. Worry about the rest when you need to. Easier said than done I know.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now