Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Is pregnancy weight gain confined to your bump?

(23 Posts)
AngP2585 Wed 09-Apr-14 23:13:59

I am 27 weeks pregnant and normally slim. I tried on a pair of my normal jeans that are usually big on me before I became pregnant. Obviously there was no way I could get them zipped or buttoned It's just when I tried putting them on they seemed a bit tighter around the legs and thighs. Just worried I have been eating too much and put on weight that's nothing to do with the pregnancy?

Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Wed 09-Apr-14 23:16:17

You can put weight on anywhere. I went up a shoe size when presumably my joints stretched a bit in pregnancy. Then I stayed there!

OccamsRaiser Thu 10-Apr-14 02:45:36

Your body will not just be putting weight on the bump but also preparing fat stores for you to be able to breastfeed and nourish your child after it's born (evolutionary thinking at its best!) So you're likely to put on a bit more weight around thighs/hips and upper arms as well - I wouldn't worry that it's a question of eating too much, though if my addiction to M&Ms doesn't tail off, it could be in my case grin

Sid77 Thu 10-Apr-14 03:34:44

Don't worry about putting on weight on your bum and thighs. As PP says, it's not just about growing the baby and therefore bump... Your body needs fat stores for when the baby comes, to recover itself and to prepare for breastfeeding. Consequently weight will go on all over. Restricting your eating whilst pregnant can be dangerous, so just make sure you're eating healthily and not having too much junk and you'll be fine. Congratulations on your pregnancy!

MinesAPintOfTea Thu 10-Apr-14 04:34:23

Don't forget extra fluid as well. And the fact that your body isn't the same shape (hips etc change) so I wouldn't necessarily expect them to go over your hips/bum even if you hadn't put an ounce on elsewhere.

You can get back into shape after pregnancy, but don't fret about a little bit of extra weight during it, especially if they were snug jeans to start with.

Heatherbell1978 Thu 10-Apr-14 20:21:43

I'm 22 wks and normally pretty slim. I've actually been eating pretty healthily and feel well enough to exercise but regardless I've put on weight on my butt and round my hips as well as my bump. I lost my waist at about 7 wks, it seemed to just widen overnight! Ive found it quite difficult at times watching the scales creep up but I know it's only natural and good for the baby:-)

squizita Thu 10-Apr-14 20:29:05

I've lost weight on arms/hands, gained a bump (quite small at the mo), plus sturdy thighs and bum!

I still have a waist but prior to pregnancy it was a ludicrous 27 inches with curvy hips and boobs (Carry On Film figure lol) so I had a few inches to spare!

Writerwannabe83 Thu 10-Apr-14 20:31:03

Bump, bum, thighs, boobs, face, hands and feet smile

I was just under 9 stone when I fell pregnant and put on over 3 stone.

I had my baby 3 weeks ago and although I still have the typical residual bump the rest of me appears to have returned to normal. My thighs are still probably a bit bigger than I'm used to but I'm confident they will soon shrink too smile

I haven't dared weigh myself yet post-birth as I'm not sure I'm ready to face that just yet smile

Penguinita Fri 11-Apr-14 07:58:14

I found this article really helpful, it breaks down the expected weight gain into all the different components (baby, fluids, etc)

Unfortunately 9lbs is just good old fat laid down for breast feeding. So it has to go on somewhere!

link to article

eurochick Fri 11-Apr-14 08:02:49

My arse is definitely pregnant. My thighs have chunked up too. Hey ho. It'll all come off again soon enough.

BettyFriedansLoveChild Fri 11-Apr-14 09:03:13

I have this too - I think if you're normally slim it makes sense for your body to try to store some reserves for post-pregnancy, breastfeeding etc. If its any comfort, this happened to me last time as well, and disappeared when I was able to start running / cycling etc again.

PenguinsEatSpinach Fri 11-Apr-14 09:08:41

Some people only put on 'bump', but most people put on weight everywhere. It is perfectly normal and not a sign of overeating. It is extra fluid, plus fat stores for when the baby comes.

My arse and thighs are definitely pregnant!

hubbahubster Fri 11-Apr-14 10:33:32

I blew up everywhere with fluid when pregnant with DC1, bigger boobs, bigger thighs… fat fingers, fat feet…

This time I'm all bump so far, thighs haven't increased at all. I feel it's my payback smile

ThefutureMrsTatum Fri 11-Apr-14 10:36:20

Oh no you get pregnant everywhere! I have lost most of my baby weight,DS is 17 weeks, however my fingers are still up the duff, can't get my wedding ring back on at all!

Mummyk1982 Sat 12-Apr-14 18:36:29

I put on about 2.5 stone when pregnant- was 10 stone before and around 12 at 8 or 9 about a week before delivery. Am now 11 days post partum and weigh 11 stone. So jut a stone heavier. My boobs feel heavy though (presumably the milk) and I can see I marrying a little extra weight on my legs, face and tummy. I would say I feel fairly confident I'll have lost another 4-5 lbs over te next week :-) be reassured it's all accounted for in pregnancy related aspects (uterus weight, fluid, blood volume, fat stores for breast feeding, baby!) :-)

Pobblewhohasnotoes Sat 12-Apr-14 22:19:18

Mine is all bump. I look like I've stuck a football up my jumper. The rest of me is the same!

moanymiserablemum Sat 12-Apr-14 23:03:49

I looked like it was all bump but I'm a size 8 normally so i could notice it on my legs & bum. Though people constantly commented on how small i was.

I was back to my pre pregnancy weight 2 weeks after dd birth. She's 9 weeks now.

SignoraStronza Sat 12-Apr-14 23:15:49

Which bump op? The extra saddlebag ones that seem to be developing on my thighs, the bracelets of granny-like flab that have emerged on the cankles or the uber bum/p that used to be my derriere? I suffer from lymph problems and fluid retention at the best of times and absolutely loathe being pregnant. Thankfully my last one - and then will be dieting, bf and marching round the village to get down to as skinny as possible, which realistically is the only way to get rid of the excess water and fat that accumulates each time.

Am so envious of the nicely and neatly bumped. I tend to wear maxi dresses and skirts, resembling a galleon in full sail!

Foxeym Sun 13-Apr-14 09:48:11

Whenever I'm pregnant my bum and thighs just explode for some reason, I'm normally quite slim, size 10 but my body goes into overdrive when pregnant. By the time I had DC3 I had put on 3.5 stone and my hips were 6 inches bigger and thighs 2 inches. DC3 is now 5 months and I'm back to pre-pregnancy size (this week my skinny jeans finally fitted yay) through sensible eating and walking with the pushchair

Shukran Sun 13-Apr-14 19:40:40

My ribs got bigger I'm sure, I weigh the same as pre pregnancy but I'm up a back size.

Cariad007 Mon 14-Apr-14 03:16:14

I was all bump but it never got massive, and I put on 5 kilos in total. Nearly 4 of that was DS and I was back in my pre-pregnancy clothes within a week. He's now nearly 8 weeks and EBFing means I can scoff cakes and still keep the weight off!

flymo79 Mon 14-Apr-14 16:41:12

I'm ignoring the scales, I know my face, bum, thighs and arms are fatter, but I also know it will all come off when I stop needing to eat for england.
Honest.

TransatlanticCityGirl Tue 15-Apr-14 23:04:43

Really depends on the person. I never gained anywhere apart from bump, ribcage, breasts, and in 2nd pregnancy waistline became a bit wider (although I went down a jean size). Towards the end of my first pregnancy I gained a fair bit of fluid all over however and in pictures I appear to be plumper than usual. In any case, it all goes rather quickly, especially if breastfeeding.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now