Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

had constant nausea for 23 weeks and worried about shockingly bad diet

(10 Posts)
jollyjellybean Tue 08-Apr-14 23:13:29

I'm 23 weeks and ever since the beginning of pg I've had constant nausea and been off my food so have found it a struggle to eat anything and the very last thing I want to do is eat something healthy

if its a choice between a cream cake or nothing I've had to go with the cake
never in my life have I had a more unhealthy diet - I would very much love to eat healthily and all the right foods but that's just not going to happen as I go from nausea to totally off all food

I'm very worried that the baby is just not getting any nutrients and would appreciate any advice or reassurance from anyone who's been in a similar situation that things have turned out fine

CoilRegret Tue 08-Apr-14 23:15:45

Baby steals all your body's nutrients and will be fine.
I was sick from week 5 to week 40 with them all. They were just fine. I was a bloody mess, but sorted as soon as they were out, & my appetite came right back
A little of what you fancy, or can manage without vomiting everywhere, if what you need. Unless it's a poisonous chemical, in which case just stick to sniffing it had creosote cravings

Cookiepants Tue 08-Apr-14 23:16:51

I had severe sickness all the way through my pg.

I had to choose food based on what it was like to throw upblush.

I survived on red coke, cheese and milkshake.

DS is perfect. I am on a diet grin.

The baby will take what it needs from your body.

chattychattyboomba Tue 08-Apr-14 23:21:11

Hey jollyjellybean, so sorry you are having a rough time. I have also suffered in both my pregnancies (currently 33 weeks with DD2) and I can really sympathise. Please try not to beat yourself up. I survived for the first 7 months of this pregnancy on bananas and chocolate milk. I found it very hard to digest almost everything. I know it might seem hard bit do you think you could manage to swallow a multivitamin a day? I know they are horrible and huge and not nice coming back up but it could give you some reassurance. Try to keep up water intake. Easier said than done I know but if your ketones get too low this can become dangerous. Have you been to your GP? I got a sympathetic one who had also suffered HG and gave me some prescription drugs which really did help take the edge off a little.
I hope it eases off for you soon. Babies are so resilient and take what they need most of the time. Trust me! I threw up so much in first pregnancy I thought DD surely couldn't be getting sufficient nutrients. She came out weighing 10.5lbs!!!! Turns out she was just sucking it all from me! Lol

Only1scoop Tue 08-Apr-14 23:21:29

Op so sorry to hear about the constant nausea....it's truly awful. I had it all the way through and sickness unfortunately.... and my diet was beyond horrific. Was so shocked that dd was so healthy!

Please try not to worry. Baby takes everything they need first.

jollyjellybean Tue 08-Apr-14 23:22:34

thanks for your replies

I've been living off white toast, chocolate and lemonade and that is more or less it for the last 23 weeks apart from occasional sweets and cakes - its shocking as before pg I was a health freak eating fruit and veg like it was going out of fashion but now I would rather run a mile that eat any of that

its reassuring to hear your stories
think my little one will just want sweeties and chocolate and nothing else due to my pg diet!

jollyjellybean Tue 08-Apr-14 23:27:10

I've tried the multivits but find them too large and just the thought of taking them (sorry for TMI) makes me want to hurl - before pg I was on about 10 supplements a day to help with conception so not being able to take one multivit is just too weird for me but the nausea is all consuming

I will try with the water
thanks for all your advice

Chillycamper Tue 08-Apr-14 23:36:44

Hi
Have come out of lurking just to make my first post as sooo identify with the awful nausea. I got really worried on 1st pregnancy as lost weight in first trimester and like you simply could not believe that the baby would be ok. They've all been bouncing babes weighing between 8 and 10lbs.
I ate white baguette with thin dairy lea (never touch the stuff normally), cherries, petit filous, sugar puffs! Squash or flattish pop was easier than water.
I am normally into vegetarian/whole food.
If it's any comfort as soon as that placenta was out I felt more normal.
Good luck!

jollyjellybean Tue 08-Apr-14 23:47:40

thanks chilly - that's really reassuring to hear
sorry to hear you've all had awful nausea too

its comforting to hear that even with bad diets the babies have all been fine and healthy
have been reading my book what to expect and the best odds diet section I had to laugh at - mine can best be described as the worst odds diet - I've so far managed two of the recommended foods both of which are on the list of high fat no nutrient section labelled not to be eaten regularly - made me laugh as this makes up my total diet!

frankiebuns Sun 13-Apr-14 16:44:15

I'm 21 weeks hardly eating and actually lost weight kw said baby was using my reserves I feel awful and only crisps coke and cake are cutting it! Lettuce or anything healthy is a massive nono

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now