Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

what does deep vein thrombosis feel like in pregnancy?

(10 Posts)
miki123 Sat 05-Apr-14 09:18:20

I am getting a constant ache in my left thigh at night which is not helping my already incessant insomnia. I'm pretty sure i'm worrying about nothing however just want to be sure that this couldn't be DVT (I seem to worry about EVERYthing under the sun these days).

My leg hurts mainly at night (i can only feel a very slight ache at times during the day) and it isn't swollen or red.

I am 39 and was taking the pill until just a few months before becoming pregnant, hence my concern. Has anyone had DVT in pregnancy? Can you tell me what it would feel like? Am I right in thinking that if it was DVT it would be a constant pain, day and night??

I have my 32 week scan on Monday AM so is this something they could check then or would that type of scan be done in a different department?

Thank you for any advice!!

Elastigrrrl Sat 05-Apr-14 10:49:35

Hi Miki, I would ask your GP or midwife (whomever you can speak to more easily) about it as soon as you can.

I can't advise what DVT actually feels like, but when I reported a persistent leg cramp (and no other symptoms), they took it very seriously indeed. Eventually I did get a scan (same type as the abdominal ultrasounds, but I don't know if it is the same people who do it at your hospital), and all was fine. But they took no chances, even though all I had was a leg cramp.

miki123 Sat 05-Apr-14 11:02:41

Thanks Elasti. I have actually just called the midwife who completely dismissed it saying it couldn't be anything serious unless it was accompanied by swelling or redness. I think I will ask the scanning people on Monday directly as frankly my GP is rubbish....

miki123 Sat 05-Apr-14 11:03:39

ps Elasti, was your leg pain constant day and night or only at night?

Boogles91 Sun 06-Apr-14 15:47:34

My friend had dvt before pg, and she said the pain woke her up and her leg went a blaky blue colour swelled right out and went all hard, like f u have a muscle spasm. If you do think this is dvt, dont waste time go to ur nearest a&e as its a serious problem and it only takes a little bit of the clot to get to your heart and kill you.

ohthegoats Sun 06-Apr-14 18:15:19

I've had a DVT in my left leg (not while pregnant). Mine was a bit weird in that it was a 'slow burner' - sort of achey for a few days with a bit of swelling, a doctor told me it was fluid on the knee, then a 2hour period where it swelled up quickly, became bright red then purple and very tight - I noticed when it started happening because I could see/feel stretch marks appearing on my thighs. By the time it had finished swelling it measured 97cm around my thigh, and I couldn't straighten my leg for fear of the skin behind my knee splitting. At this point it was nothing more than achey, apart from the stretch marks sort of stinging a bit. Once I was on heparin and warfarin, and the swelling had started to go down, it was agony. I couldn't 'hang' the leg down for 3 months without being in tears within about 10 seconds.

Go to the doctors if you are worried, it's a scary thing and you need to get it diagnosed either way.

Donkey36 Sun 06-Apr-14 19:49:58

I had DVT in my right thigh at 4 weeks pg with my first, the pain was horrendous much more than an ache, very swollen my right leg was 7 inches bigger than my left, and I was in constant pain, it may just be baby lying on blood vessels and temporarily blocking blood flow ( had lots of this in 2nd pg) and it felt a bit like mild cramp, and aching?? If you are worried mention it to the midwife as they can scan your leg to check all is ok xx

januaryJump Sun 06-Apr-14 20:29:49

I haven't had a DVT though I have a family history of them so I was quite wary of any leg issues whilst pg. I have had thigh pain/ache in pregnancy, with DC1 I got a trapped nerve in my left thigh, it's called meralgia paresthetica I think; if I slept on my left I would wake up at some point in the night with my thigh feeling like it was on fire, it was awful! During the day there would be a dull ache, and when I moved to sleeping on my right it would just ache instead of pain, but the ache was more noticeable at night, perhaps from resting at the end of the day. It would also ache more if I walked a lot, which I do often so it happened often.

Afaik with a DVT there would be a feeling of pressure, swelling, heat - at least that's what my relatives have told me that they felt with DVTs.

Just a possible alternative explanation. Unfortunately if that is the case there's nothing for it, it goes away at some point within 6mo or 12mo after birth as it's caused by the extra pressure from the bump. I found mine gradually started to diminish after birth, and was completely gone around 3-6mo pp.

mamalovesmojitos Sun 06-Apr-14 20:53:37

Mine was diagnosed with an ultrasound scan so surely they'll be able to check there. But if you're worried just go to doc immediately, even tonight, I don't know how that midwife can be so confident without seeing it. Doctors & nurses do a great job but I have been misdiagnosed a few times - they are certainly not infallible. Always go with your gut & don't be fobbed off.

I had experienced cramps & tightness in my leg but hadn't noticed any swelling until doc measured it. My leg wasn't particularly red either. But the doctors said it was big & they were very very concerned. I was hospitalised immediately. It was all a bit scary, luckily I was treated well & my daughter & I were fine through the rest of the pregnancy and child birth. Very lucky! I would always say better safe than sorry.

Sareva Sun 06-Apr-14 21:03:44

Like January, Im also suffering from meralgia paresthetica, symptoms for me are - pain occurs at night, in my left thigh only, when it's very acute it feels like your leg is on fire, when the pain subsides I'm left with a dull ache. There is no remedy, but since about 14 weeks (now 30 weeks) I have been lying more or less upright in the (corner) sofa, with lots of cushions to prop me up and this has alleviated my symptoms. One night I fell asleep in Dd2's bed whilst reading her a story and the pain woke me up - it is truly awful. However, please get it checked out. Coincidently I'm on heparin due to family history of thrombophilia.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now