Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anxious about starting our natal hypnotherpay course - any tips on how to get the most out of it?

(5 Posts)
MrsHelenBee Fri 04-Apr-14 22:55:27

Hi everyone,
My husband and I are just about to start part 1 of a 2-day natal hypnotherpay course and I'm getting anxious. Apart from the fact I'm shy and very self-conscious, I guess I'm a little sceptical about how useful it will be, although we both really want to try it out and at least be able to say that we gave it a go.
My husband is desperate for me to have a better birthing experience than this time around, and I want him to feel more relaxed. He's payed a lot for us to go on the course, and I don't want to waste it. I'm sure we'll learn a great deal but I just wondered if anyone has done a similar course, and what tips they'd give regarding getting the most out of it.

Shallishanti Fri 04-Apr-14 22:58:53

Hi I have just observed a similar course and it looked very useful- my tio would be that you need to go away and practice what is taught in the sessions- they are teaching a skill and you will get better by practicing (sounds obvious, but I think you really need to make the effort)

Bugsylugs Fri 04-Apr-14 23:11:28

The cds made me laugh, cringe etc. I never managed to stay awake and listen to them I was not the calm slow moving relaxed mum to be. We did not practice as a couple enough.

However I told them I was doing hypnobirthing, found it most comfortable as suggested to sit in the bath or on the toilet facing the cistern. When contractions (I will use that word) came I wondered off in my head counting. By the time I needed input from others 4 hrs I was 9 cms they were amazed first time mum quiet relaxed etc. I opted for birthing pool and gas it was like champagne.

Only comments. Be open minded and practice. It works. The phraseology is a bit crazy.

Good luck and enjoy

MrsHelenBee Fri 04-Apr-14 23:14:56

Hi Shallishanti, thanks for that.
The cd I've been sent if for use from now onwards, listening to it 3x weekly for the next 3 weeks, then increasing to daily. I've only just received it, so I've yet to give it a go, but I'm intrigued and hope it will help me relax.
I'm ok at mindfulness and observing for breath, but only for a few minuts at time so, with 7 weeks to go, I hope I can get enough practise in to improve on that as I think I may need to stay in 'the zone' for a little while longer than that to see me through labour!!

MrsHelenBee Fri 04-Apr-14 23:23:25

Wow, Bugsylugs, you did so well!!!
I'll be in hospital for the birth as I'm high risk for a few reasons, and I can't use the pool, which is a real disappointment, but I'd made up if I managed to get that far on just G&A. Last time really was tough and very traumatic, so it's really important to me to stay relaxed and more in control this time, if I can.
My husband works very long hours so I hope we can find the time to practise enough. Bit worried the cd might be as you've said with the language etc., but I'll give it a go. Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now