Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

False positive tests??

(14 Posts)
Ninar11 Thu 03-Apr-14 13:01:09

Hi I'm looking for a bit of advice pls. I'm 9 days late and I took a first response test at 5 days late followed by 2 cheaper home brand tests which all came back positive. I was shocked and the following morning did a clearblue digital test which was also positive with 1-2 weeks. I've just had results back from my doctor and it's come back negative! In panic I've rushed out and bought 2 more home brand tests which now also are negative. Any advice greatly welcomed sad x

squizita Thu 03-Apr-14 13:26:35

2 things:
1) It could be dilution of urine (more water = less line) smile
2) It could be that you were pregnant but sadly this one didn't work out.
sad

Wait 48hr and test with first thing in the morning urine.

RaRa1988 Thu 03-Apr-14 13:33:36

Sounds like it could well be a chemical pregnancy ie the egg was fertilised but the pregnancy ended very early. Have you had any bleeding?

As Squizita says, it could just be the dilution of urine as well, which is why testing with FMU is the best way. I know it's going to be hard to wait until tomorrow now, but you have to. Ideally, don't drink too much through the night so you don't have to pee until the morning - that way, it will be nice and concentrated.

Ninar11 Thu 03-Apr-14 13:38:35

Thank you and no I've had no bleeding yet. Fingers crossed I get another positive in the morning x

squizita Thu 03-Apr-14 14:05:44

Sounds like it could well be a chemical pregnancy ie the egg was fertilised but the pregnancy ended very early. Have you had any bleeding?

Just to clarify - if there was a line then a loss, it's a very early miscarriage NOT a chemical pregnancy, because it would have implanted for 24hr. sad Only women who have failed IVF know for sure if they have a chemical.

This is important to know in case there's the (very low - under 1%) risk of a recurrent miscarriage. They might ask (my own diagnosis is how I know- one of my losses was 4 1/2 weeks, still fit with my symptoms).

Also, it's important that any feelings of loss or sadness aren't written off.

Hope it is good news tomorrow OP!

Ninar11 Thu 03-Apr-14 15:14:42

Thanks, I'm trying to not get my hopes up just incase now x

silverine Thu 03-Apr-14 17:43:47

I had the same thing. Period 7 days late and GP test came negative.
But the bastards they said it was chemical pregnancy rather than MC, which I thought was unfair, given that I had had 2 prev MCs...

qazxc Thu 03-Apr-14 19:29:26

It could be different things.
The fact that your urine was more diluted in some of the tests. In wich case as time goes on, your hormone levels will rise and all tests will be positive.
An early miscarriage.
There are no false positive pregnancy test.

qazxc Thu 03-Apr-14 19:33:13

by the way I am now 28 weeks pregnant and it took a couple of weeks past due for all tests to come back positive.

alita7 Thu 03-Apr-14 21:18:59

op I hope all is well and you get a bfp tomorrow morning! Big hugs.

squizz that is interesting as I still don't know if my 3 day late and atrociously painful and clotty period in early December was an early mc or not... I didn't test as I unsure of cycle length as I came off the pill in September so was waiting for it to be a week late, and when I was bleeding I was too scared to find out. But I felt emotionally like it was one and I haven't had a period like it before or since (though only had 2 more periods before this pregnancy). I guess I'll never know but have never mentioned it to health care professionals so maybe I should as if I were to loose this one (crosses fingers I dont) then that would be 3 losses instead of 2.

Tranquilitybaby Thu 03-Apr-14 22:37:25

Hopefully the doctors test isn't as sensitive as your home ones. Have you tested at home again? X

Ninar11 Fri 04-Apr-14 08:25:06

Hi all just an update from yesterday, lots of heavy bleeding last night so I'm not bothering with a test now. It's clear to see this one just wasn't meant to be. Thanks for all your advice anyway x

qazxc Fri 04-Apr-14 08:28:33

So sorry to hear that. Look after yourself OP.

RaRa1988 Fri 04-Apr-14 10:57:58

Oh dear, sorry to hear that. OP. Take care of yourself flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now