Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Should I see the GP?

(8 Posts)
allisgood1 Thu 03-Apr-14 12:26:44

I'm currently 17 weeks with dc3. About 2.5 weeks ago I came down with this awful sore throat, I can only compare to when I had swine flu only not nearly as bad. I had an accompanying cough and although it sounded dry it was quite productive. My throat was so sore that id wake 6-7 times during the night because it would close up. After a week that started to go but then I started with some congestion. The congestion got worse and worse over 3 days, then finally abated a bit. I'm now 4 days from that and it's back but this time very green and gross. Obviously I can't take anything other than steam and nasal sprays. Do you think I could have an infection which is why it's not shifting? Or will I be wasting my time visiting the GP?

squizita Thu 03-Apr-14 12:38:46

Go see the doc. Some anti biotics are fine with pregnancy, s/he may well be able to help.

crazykat Thu 03-Apr-14 12:52:56

See the GP. I you have an infection you need antibiotics.

I've had antibiotics for ear infections, throat infections ad a chest infection while pregnant and my DCs are fine. The only reason most medicines say to consult a doctor using is because it isn't ethical to test them in clinical trials with pregnant women.

CoolCat2014 Thu 03-Apr-14 13:05:30

Exactly what the others said, see your GP, it's not wasting time.

allisgood1 Thu 03-Apr-14 13:31:27

Thanks for your replies.

squiz how you doing lady??

I will see if I can get an appointment today (I am visiting in the US so will need to see someone here). I feel right back to where I felt a few days ago, it doesn't make any sense!!

amy246 Thu 03-Apr-14 14:00:52

Strep throat is going around at the moment which often needs antibiotics to clear it up.

squizita Thu 03-Apr-14 14:08:19

As far along as you. Doppler appointment tomorrow... nervous!

allisgood1 Fri 04-Apr-14 03:33:42

Aw, you'll be fine, I know it! I have a doppler though and check religiously every day...dont know what I'd do without it!

Verdict in...sinus infection sad I have high dose antibiotics and have been told I can take some sudafed "sparingly" to get some relief. My left nose is like concrete and I now have all the corresponding sinus pain with it. Joy. Off to attempt to get some sleep...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now