Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

extra scans because of weight

(11 Posts)
MrsMonkeyBear Thu 03-Apr-14 05:18:05

I was wondering if anyone else has been offered extra scans because they are under weight. My midwife has said because my bmi is under 18, 15.5 pre preg and 17 now im 12 weeks, I will get extra growth scans at 28 and 34 weeks. Im very healty but just skinny.

Roshbegosh Thu 03-Apr-14 05:37:00

This is quite normal in these circumstances. Why would you think you are the only low BMI person that would need to have baby's growth monitored?

MrsMonkeyBear Thu 03-Apr-14 05:49:05

I was just wanted to know if it was normal. This is my first and don't really have anyone else to ask.

HaveYouHeardOfGoogle Thu 03-Apr-14 05:52:37

Jeez Rosh she was only asking.

EllaBella220 Thu 03-Apr-14 10:01:21

They say being too skinny or too fat is of concern to how the baby grows so they just want to monitor baby and make sure they are doing ok. Don't worry about it unless the doc says there's something to worry about.

And congrats on your first baby :D x

MrsMonkeyBear Thu 03-Apr-14 11:08:16

Thanks EllaBella.

I'm sure mini mallow will be fine, just growing in a small momma!!

Xxxx

EllaBella220 Thu 03-Apr-14 12:02:39

I'm sure it will. My best friend was underweight and only 5 foot tall yet she had a huge (for her) 9lb something baby. It started out with the docs worried that the baby might be too little but then they realised it was the opposite way around so you just never know!

MammySam Thu 03-Apr-14 12:42:01

Hi

I might have to have extra scans for the opposite reason! BMI too high! the Midwife told me they just like to keep a closer eye to ensure all is OK. they said i could measure correct but if baby was too small they wouldnt know cos i have a flabby tum!! haha! I guess it could be the same but opposite way round for you - they want to check baby isn't too big as you may look much bigger but thats because you are so slim.
My BMI was high with DD and i have a perfect preg and average sized baby (7lb7oz) so there were no probs!
as long as you look afte yourself and eat right you'll be fine smile
(plus you might get extra chances to see your baby that you wouldn;t normally get! smile
x

squizita Thu 03-Apr-14 12:47:26

as Ella says... some tiny women have BIG babies! And most carry with no issues. smile

I have a very., very slim friend who wasn't given extra care and hers (100% OK now) came a wee bit early, which could have been prevented as I understand - so be glad they're keeping an eye. smile

Heatherbell1978 Fri 04-Apr-14 18:54:24

I've got a friend who is teeny (you'd never think she's had 2 kids!) and when she was pregnant with her first, her bump really was just baby and nothing else so they'd bring all the students in to see her cos they could feel everything in there! Oh and she had two 8lb babies:-)

VelvetStrider Fri 04-Apr-14 19:11:47

Yes, I had the extra scans because of low BMI with both of my pregnancies. It's actually quite nice to get to see your baby again without the stresses of something potentially being found to be wrong that you have at the 12 and 20 week scans.

It was a bit farcical with my second, because I had the extra 'low bmi' scans in case the baby was too small, but then I also had to have the glucose tolerance test in case the baby was too big as my first had been 10 and a half pounds!! The scan wasn't that accurate as it happens as it estimated her at around 6lb and she was also over 10lb!!!

The hospital explained the reason for the extra scans as being because healthy, slim women (especially tall slim women as the way bmi is calculated often comes out low) are lumped together, statistically, with less healthy women who are underweight for other reasons - anorexia, bulimia, substance addiction etc. They can't differentiate through any other process so offer the extra scans to everybody based on BMI only.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now