Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anybody have any ideas on how to actually eat healthy?...

(10 Posts)
Boogles91 Wed 02-Apr-14 21:38:16

I know it sounds stupid and shsould just come down to common sense but my diets gone to pot all of a sudden sad for the past few weeks all ive eaten, is beef steaks, beefburgers and chips, sweets, crisps, chuklet and biscuits. I start the day with my cereal wich has doubled in portion 0.0 wich is special k red berries, and a cereal bar about n hour after.....then i get so damn hungry i eat a load of crap and its really getting me down as i can see the fat im outting on sad I do plan to get back on the crosstrainer and wot not afterwards but im only 25wks! I cant eat anything with chiken or pastry as im completly pit off by them and used to love my chiken salads...tonight i had a takeaway sad and afterwards i was still what felt like starving! I still am now sad nothing else seems edible as you could say but crap loli really dont want to end up a walrus when babys here as i was slim before. I also dont do much walking as i used to niw as ive had a few complications and been told to rest more! ^.- just need some advice on how i could possibly tackle it, im normally pretty good at keeping a cool with food and hardly used to eat before preggers aswel.,.

Groovester Wed 02-Apr-14 21:43:01

I'm in similar situation and only 10 weeks. Can't cope with cooking because of my nausea (husband and son coping on stuff from the freezer but I can't look at it.) Seem to be surviving on sandwiches and toast. Bleurghhhh

CoolCat2014 Wed 02-Apr-14 23:09:47

I'm trying to figure that out myself! So easy to reach for ready made stuff, none if which tends to be healthy

Couple of things helping me: porridge, baking some snacks, cheese scones for me, prob not the best but there's very little butter in them, fruit... Can only do apples melon and grapes.

Protein rich foods might help, nuts, cheese, meats, etc. can you cope with red meat at the moment?

hartmel Thu 03-Apr-14 02:51:19

Well I'm lucky with this as I have a 7 month old and he needs his vegetables and fruits and as I don't know yet how much he can eat I usually make to much for him, so I eat the rest. When I'm hungry between meals, I crap a carrot or make myself a salad. My DH loves his salads so our fridge is stocked with vegetables to make a salat.

Or I cook the vegetables..

How about instead of burger and chips you order a burger and a salad. That is what I'm doing. In this pregnancy I love everything that is fast food.

Good luck!

Pinkandwhite Thu 03-Apr-14 03:30:11

Could you buy some healthy convenience foods? Like pre-chopped fruit salad or ready meals that have 1-3 portions of veg in? How about getting some innocent smoothies or some vegetable soups to have with wholemeal bread and butter? You could swap your cereal bar for a dried fruit bar. I like these for example: www.healthysupplies.co.uk/strawberry-bear-yoyos.html

All the supermarkets sell them, they're low in calories and satisfy my sweet tooth. They also count as a fruit portion.

I think coolcat is right about protein. It's worth you getting some snack sized packets of unsalted nuts or even some mini cheeses. Maybe you could have boiled eggs instead of cereal at the weekends?

Convenience food may not be perfect but if you can get the ones that tell you they count as x portions of fruit and veg then it'll be a big step in the right direction and you'll start to feel better.

Don't I've yourself a hard time though. Now isn't the time for a strict diet or calorie counting. Think instead of it being a time to look after yourself really well.

Lozmatoz Thu 03-Apr-14 04:12:17

You have to plan. It's hard but it's the only way. Make a list for each day, get things that are quick and easy but good for you. Have a piece of toast while you're cooking.... Or even batch cook and freeze on the weekend then all you need up go us reheat. Eg chili - mince, onions, garlic, mushrooms, peppers, kidney beans, chillis and cumin. Then all you do is bung a pan of rice on.

I found work the hardest, but took fruit, dried fruit and nuts, stuff like soreen as easy but filling and luckily we have a freezer so I always had crumpets or bread. Water biscuits good too.

KiwiBanana Thu 03-Apr-14 05:48:57

grin @ crapping a carrot when hungry!!

Step away from the Special K for starters. It's shit, full of sugar and you need 3 bowls of the stuff to feel full. You could try swapping it for some shredded wheat or weetabix, can always liven these up with dried fruits, jam, honey etc.

JollyMarie79 Thu 03-Apr-14 10:38:20

Do you have a slow cooker?
Bang in some meat, an array of vege, stock and then 8hrs later a delicious healthy meal.... Little effort.

Boogles91 Fri 04-Apr-14 00:26:27

Thanks for all the replys. smile will try some of ur advice. Is it really? Its supposed to be healthy :s lol i love cereal with fruits :p there so dear for like a punnet of strawberries n stuff. X

flamby Fri 04-Apr-14 01:46:13

I'm 34 weeks and frozen vegetables and fruit have been my lifesaver. They are cheaper, they are pre-cut and you can put in a little bit of each one. Last night I made a super quick soup with chicken stock, frozen kale, spinach, peas, tinned corn, tinned white beans and rice. Pretty much I have been throwing a handful of veg into everything I make (and even takeaways like curry - extra spinach or peas or whatever!).

Having good snacks around helps a lot - I like hummus and pita chips, or I make a salad with a tin of chickpeas, some lemon juice and olive oil and capers (I like sour things and lemon juice!). You can defrost frozen berries with cold water and stir into yoghurt. Peanut butter on toast is really filling, I find. In my 1st and 2nd trimester, all I wanted was jacket potatoes. They are great with baked beans. Basically, a small repertoire of "go-to" snacks was the thing that helped me and I eat a bit, stop for 10 mins and then see if I want any more, rather than eating until I am full.

Having a few things to reach for is much easier than having to think about it all the time!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now