Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

When do I phone the hospital

(20 Posts)
K8eee Wed 02-Apr-14 02:38:26

Having mild contractions but when do I phone the hospital?

fuckwitteryhasform Wed 02-Apr-14 03:04:27

3-4 mins apart, cant talk through them, feel like you need to go to hospital NOW! Good luck! If they are mild enough to mumsnet try lying down and relaxing inbetween or having a bath.

Jaynebxl Wed 02-Apr-14 03:06:50

Phone any time. The mw qho answers the phone will be able to tell you when you need to go in and cam reeassure you if it is too early. I rang with my dd just to check and she told me to come straight away cos she could tell the contractions were more frequently and stronger than ibwas admitting to myself.

K8eee Wed 02-Apr-14 03:20:30

I'm just keeping times of them on the stopwatch on my phone shall keep doing this for at least an hour I think so I have a good idea of how often and how long they are so I can tell them when I phone. We live at least 20-25 minutes from the hospital so I want to make sure I get there in good time

AlwaysDancing1234 Wed 02-Apr-14 04:04:32

Good luck K8eee not long now til you meet your little one! Make sure you write down times and length of contractions if your phone doesn't store them, easier to show the midwife when you do get to hospital. Don't hesitate to ring them if you are not sure when to go in, they can chat to you and advise you. In the meantime try and rest a bit if you can. Don't forget to take your hospital bag and notes with you and some food and drink for you and your birthing partner. Today might be your babies birthday!

K8eee Wed 02-Apr-14 04:06:32

Thanks always dancing smile i'm so tired and every time I do go to rest a contraction starts envy oh also I should add my waters went yesterday so.im wondering do I just wait until my time that im booked into the labour ward or should I phone my mlu

Wurstwitch Wed 02-Apr-14 04:11:49

So you spoke to the ward when your waters broke, and they have you booked in some time today?

I usually waited until regularly at 3-4 mins and went in. Sometimes that went on for hours. On one occasion after 12 hours of 3 mins they sent me home again. <sigh>

Good luck!

K8eee Wed 02-Apr-14 04:16:52

my waters broke yesterday morning at 6 am and have been leaking since. I think now I've lost the last of them, but I phoned they told me to go in a d examined me. everything is fine with baby and me, but if I don't go into labour within 24 hours of them breaking I am to take myself to the labour ward this morning.

seems as though they're easing off angry I feel so bloody tired too

K8eee Wed 02-Apr-14 04:18:25

Maybe they're not actually...Every 7 minutes or so now

AlwaysDancing1234 Wed 02-Apr-14 05:00:00

I know it's frustrating when the contractions won't settle in to a proper pattern but sounds like you are on your way, especially as waters have broken. Keep monitoring for another hour or two and ring midwife again if you need advice. I know the idea of 'resting' is easier said than done. If you can't sleep (I know I couldn't when at your stage) try walking about or bouncing on a ball if you have one to get things moving a bit. Good luck!

Trapper Wed 02-Apr-14 05:07:45

I guess you need to head in now if you are Almost 24 hours since waters broke. They will treat you as being at higher risk of infection and will not send you home again. Plus you will avoid peak rush hour traffic. Our first pregnancy was the same - no complications - just a very long slog! If you are not too far gone when you arrive, some pethadine (sp) may help you get a few hours rest - my wife was a big fan smile

K8eee Wed 02-Apr-14 07:16:16

trapper my thoughts exactly! at least I know I won't get turned away. I really didn't want to be induced and was hoping for a water birth sad maybe next time!

AlwaysDancing1234 Wed 02-Apr-14 07:35:46

Different areas have different rules on when they induce you following your waters going, some are 24 hours and done 48 hours I've found. But if your waters have gone more than 24 hours ago and you are having contractions it's probably time to head in now. Hope you are doing ok and not too tired.

Jaynebxl Wed 02-Apr-14 07:38:40

Hope you're on your way in and that things go well :-)

K8eee Sat 05-Apr-14 06:42:39

Thanks jayne. lg born on 3.4.14 at 6.06am weighing 7lb 8 grin

Jaynebxl Sat 05-Apr-14 07:48:47

Congratulations!

TestingTestingWonTooFree Sat 05-Apr-14 08:49:21

Hurrah! Hope you're both doing well!

CrispyFB Sat 05-Apr-14 12:57:21

Congratulations!! :-)

Me23 Sat 05-Apr-14 15:20:15

Congratulations

AlwaysDancing1234 Sat 05-Apr-14 21:27:13

K8eee thanks for coming back and updating.
Huge congratulations on your new arrival! Look after yourselves and enjoy lots of cuddles. flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now