Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Pregnancy following miscarriage

(11 Posts)
Slg1234 Thu 27-Mar-14 11:32:41

I would just like some advice and support to get me through the next few weeks. I am 5 weeks and 3 days pregnant and am just so worried! I had a miscarriage last year in the early stages and I am just so petrified this will happen again! I do feel differently this time, how do I get through the next 7 weeks waiting for the all important 12 week stage?

squizita Thu 27-Mar-14 11:43:10

There is a thread on here with lots of us in the same boat, loads of support.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/pregnancy/2018815-The-even-newer-posifrickentivity-thread-for-ladies-pregnant-after-miscarriage-Spring-2-welcome?

Lots and lots of advice and support.

It's bloody tough to start with and after that though. Look after yourself and hopefully it's reassuring to hear that over 80% of women who have a loss only have 1, after that they succeed. smile

LondonJen Thu 27-Mar-14 11:56:46

Congratulations! I know how hard it is and the thread Squiz mentioned is the only thing that's saved my sanity. I will be 12 weeks pg tomorrow (after mmc at 10 weeks in Oct last year) and the early weeks are very hard but these ladies have all been there and will hold your hand. There are also ladies on the thread who have recently reached the end of their pregnancy's and shared news of their new bundles of joy with us, which gives everyone hope. Have a read through and I'm sure you'll find people saying just how you feel. If nothing else it makes you feel less alone.

JBrd Thu 27-Mar-14 12:17:39

Congratulations!
Come and join us in the thread mentioned above!
I'm currently 12 weeks pg, following 3 miscarriages, and I would not have kept my sanity without the lovely ladies on that thread! Everyone will hold your hand, as we all know exactly how you feel.

Deep breaths, and one day at a time. Set yourself little milestones to distract from the 'big' 12 and everything comes with it. The mantra is 'Today I am pregnant' smile

jaidie1988 Fri 28-Mar-14 01:17:56

Congratulations smile I am currently 13 weeks & 5 days along. I have a 6 year old daughter then had 3 miscarriages in a row (last one was a missed miscarriage) I almost gave up all hope off ever having another child but here I am, baby doing just fine so it can be done. Try not to worry as stress doesn't help. Relax, enjoy being pregnant & take things easy. Let people fuss over u etc. Good luck I hope everything goes very well for you x

MrsGiraffe12 Fri 28-Mar-14 05:36:25

Hi and welcome.
I echo what squitz london jen and jbird have all said about joining us all on the pregnant after miscarriage thread.

We have, unfortunately, all been there (and some of us more than once) so can really sympathise and help each other at what is a really difficult and emotional time.
I myself went through periods if sheer joy that I was pregnant again and then periods of terror that I would have my 12 weeks scan and be told id had a missed miscarriage again.

It does get a little bit easier after the 12 week scan, but not completely. You will find many of us then stressing about bump size, no moments, not hearing heartbeat ect whilst we wait for 20 week scan.

Basically it's nice to know (in a bitter sweet way) that you are not alone and that we are all as batshit crazy as each other. Remember - today you are pregnant (our mantra for then the going gets tough) xx

squizita Fri 28-Mar-14 08:31:33

Try not to worry as stress doesn't help

Stress does not contribute or affect miscarriage. smile You can/will be incredibly worried but this will not harm your pregnancy. There are women with severe clinical anxiety who carry to term (routinely - they aren't high risk).

Read Lesley Regan's book or Jon Cohen's 'Coming to Term' for the science on this.

It can affect conception but experts are aware that warnings about it actually just create a vicious cycle.

Slg1234 Sat 29-Mar-14 07:11:36

Thank you all, it has helped me, particularly just thinking that 'today I am pregnant'! Still do worry put I suppose this is natural, has any of you gone for earlier scans, either NHS or private to ease your worries?

plokett1 Sat 29-Mar-14 08:03:10

Hi slg.....i'm now 38 wks pg after 2 mc's and completely understand how u feel, it does get easier! I had a private early scan at 8 weeks as the nhs didnt feel it neccessary! It really helped put my mind at ease and helped with the constant worrying! We saw a heartbeat which was a huge leap forward for us and made the few weeks leading up to our nhs scan much more bearable! If it helps with ur peace of mind and sanity i would definately advise! Good luck and hope this is a sticky one.xx

LondonJen Sat 29-Mar-14 17:41:07

I didn't have any early scans. My first will be on Weds at 12+5. I have been very fortunate and not had any early bleeding to investigate. I know others on the thread mentioned above have, it might be worth reading the earlier posts on there/posting on there. Glad you are finding the today I am pregnant mantra helpful smile

cookielove Sat 29-Mar-14 17:57:45

Hello, I had a mmc last year and found myself pregnant in January this year which was a huge surprise. I agree the hardest part was waiting for the 12 week scan but I agree telling yourself each day you are pregnant really helps.

I did pay for a private scan at 7 weeks in which we saw a little fluttering heartbeat. smile

Good luck smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now