Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Suddenly I'm mad for chlorine....

(15 Posts)
RaRa1988 Thu 27-Mar-14 09:04:31

Anyone else getting non-food cravings? Suddenly I'm mad for chlorine: I love arriving at the gym because I can smell the pool, and I like to park next to the air vents so it's extra strong, I can't resist drinking a bit of the pool while I'm in there (I know, I know, yak), and I have an almost unresistable urge to drink the water the liquid from the sink when I'm cleaning the bathroom with bleach. It's honestly getting ridiculous! Anyone else like this?

DrewsWife Thu 27-Mar-14 09:14:50

And very dangerous. In the pool it is at least monitored for chlorine levels. At home. No measuring is done. It's a serious risk and you should speak to your midwife.

greentshirt Thu 27-Mar-14 09:17:06

Ewwww, thats a weird one! You are going to have to stop yourself though!

My weirdest one is damp. I could suffocate myself sniffing freshly washed wet towels and I like to stand in the bathroom while my DH is showering, cant get enough of that wet smell!

Blueuggboots Thu 27-Mar-14 09:22:21

A friend of mine went bonkers for vosene shampoo. grin

ruth1104 Thu 27-Mar-14 09:27:49

Don't really know much about it but my book says non food cravings (pica) can be a sign of a genuine deficiency (I think iron, not sure) so as pp said, get to your mw!

RaRa1988 Thu 27-Mar-14 10:50:02

That's what I was thinking - I'm sure some of them are indicative of a deficiency, but I've no idea what a chlorine craving could indicate as surely being low on bleach is a good thing?!

ningthemerciless Thu 27-Mar-14 12:24:36

With my first I couldn't get enough of the smell of Lush (amongst other really strong smells). Used to walk past it really slowly for about a half hour just sniffing, it was so so so, I dunno, fulfilling!

I did ask my MW about it at the time and she said that it was a bit weird but that it was harmless. Do ask your MW next time you see her and let us know what she says - interested now!

But yes - please don't drink bleach!

MummyLuce Thu 27-Mar-14 13:35:14

Rubber, petrol, chlorine, crunching ice cubes, wet towels... They all make my mouth water! I sat and sucked my DPs swim shorts when he got back from the pool (after he has taken them off, obviously) x

rachyconks Thu 27-Mar-14 13:48:19

Ice is mine. I'm currently getting through a 2kg bag every other day. I can't stop myself - I eat so much I feel sick and then 1/2 hour later I'm munching again. I've even taken to getting up in the night to get some. I spoke to my midwife and my iron etc is fine, it's just one of those weird pregnancy things.

I get the chlorine thing, petrol also does it for me - but def speak to your midwife to be on the safe side!

pinkpompomispretty Thu 27-Mar-14 18:38:45

I craved the smell of bleach when pregnant with dd1. I used to sniff sanitizer and used to love bleaching everything, kitchen worktops, sinks, toilet everything, my hubby thought I was crazy haha I didn't speak to midwife about it to be honest, but never ingested anything -as much as I wanted to- my iron levels were high so defo wasn't that.

Tomkat79 Thu 27-Mar-14 20:02:58

grin at mummyluce short sucking!

greentshirt Thu 27-Mar-14 20:07:14

Oooh just reading this back has me running to the washing machine, wheres all my lovely towels at!!!!!!

Oh yeah to the ice.

There's no room in the freezer for my 'prepared meals for the first week' because it's stuffed full of ice and Calippos.

ItsBritneyBitch Fri 28-Mar-14 00:50:41

Mmm damp sponges! Especially when I was in the bath I would wash with it and chew/suck on it after with a little bit if soap still on it (rank I know!) I used to have one in the side of my car door to chew on arrrgghhh it was never enough! And Milton. Damn I love that smell smile

RaRa1988 Fri 28-Mar-14 09:27:47

I nearly bought a sponge when in Superdrug yesterday - only stopped myself when I thought "Hang on, RaRa, buying a sponge JUST to drink out of is a little bit much, no?" hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now