Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Am I in labour?

(93 Posts)
CountdowntoSummer Thu 27-Mar-14 01:35:57

I started leaking water around 9 and more over the past two hours. Clear liquid, no smell or blood. Haven't seen any mucus yet. Haven't called the hospital yet. Should I?I have a midwifed appointment tomorrow afternoon..should I just wait until then?

justmuddlingalong Thu 27-Mar-14 01:38:05

Any discomfort or tightening?

fuckwittery Thu 27-Mar-14 01:38:22

I think you should call the hospital for advice definitely. They may just tell you to sleep until contractions start but there is I think advice to be taken as they may want to see you to confirm it is waters or see you within a certain time of wafers breaking. How exciting, it won't be long.

CountdowntoSummer Thu 27-Mar-14 01:45:23

Thank you for your responses.
Justmuddling- had some tightening and period like pain but not anymore.
Fuckwittery - ring them now or wait until morning?

It's my first baby and a bit clueless.

fuckwittery Thu 27-Mar-14 01:46:30

Ring now. Labour wars is staffed 24/7 it will be a totally normal call to them smile

justmuddlingalong Thu 27-Mar-14 01:47:57

I'd ring them. No harm in getting advice. Then you'll know if you've to go in <how exciting!> or just chill out and relax.

Fasterkillpussycat Thu 27-Mar-14 01:50:28

Same happened to me - I would give them a call as they will probably want to check your waters. They will probably then send you home until labour kicks off in earnest. I was back in within 24 hours and baby was born 24 hours later. Good luck!

caramelwaffle Thu 27-Mar-14 01:54:23

I would say probably, yes: good luck and congratulations.

CountdowntoSummer Thu 27-Mar-14 02:19:13

Rang the triage and have been asked to come in for a check up. On the way to the hospital now.

justmuddlingalong Thu 27-Mar-14 02:24:30

Good luck! Let us know how you get on. smile

CountdowntoSummer Thu 27-Mar-14 03:49:57

Strapped on to a heart monitor. I'm having light contractions..apparently!

GiraffesAndButterflies Thu 27-Mar-14 03:52:04

Good luck! flowers

Sounds like the start of my labour on Friday. Assuming you get sent home until you are in established labour, quickly put your hospital bag out with some towels for the trip back to hospital later. Then go to bed and really try to get some sleep, you will need strength for labour and are likely to have many sleepless nights to come. Good luck!

Mummyk1982 Thu 27-Mar-14 05:55:36

Good luck! :-)

CountdowntoSummer Thu 27-Mar-14 10:43:50

Hi all, just to give an update, baby's heart best was fine. Sent home but asked to come back in 24 hrs ( tonight at 9) for another monitoring. If nothing happens in 48 hours was told will be induced.

Newmummy123 Thu 27-Mar-14 10:46:25

Good luck Hun not long now and your baby will be here, so so jealous smile

CountdowntoSummer Thu 27-Mar-14 10:56:54

I'm a bit worried about being induced as read that it increases the pain and also the chances in intervention increases.

CountdowntoSummer Thu 27-Mar-14 10:58:22

A heartfelt thank you to you all for being there last night. We have no family here so it's just me and my husband. Meant a lot to have some people to talk to!

greentshirt Thu 27-Mar-14 10:58:50

You are already on the way though so hopefully not like a booked induction where your body might not be ready.

Good luck!!

CristaBell Thu 27-Mar-14 12:26:17

Good luck flowers x

CountdowntoSummer Thu 27-Mar-14 12:28:46

But my 'period like' pains have all but gone today morning. I'm not sure what's happening?? As in is this normal? I would really like to progress naturally without any kind of intervention...

Sometimes contractions in early labour can be stop/start I'm afraid. You can try to help things along by staying away from the bath (can slow things down) and by walking, bouncing on a gym ball or walking up and downstairs

Notafoodbabyanymore Thu 27-Mar-14 15:34:58

Try to keep moving (without knackering yourself) and hopefully things will kick off for you. Also, try not to worry about "what ifs". I know it's really hard! Take it as it comes, what will be, will be.

Good luck, so excited for you that you get to meet your baby soon. Brings it all back and makes me want to do it all again!

Notafoodbabyanymore Thu 27-Mar-14 15:36:25

Just realised you last posted a few hours ago OP. Hope that means things have progressed since then!

CountdowntoSummer Thu 27-Mar-14 16:17:40

I'm back from my routine midwife appointment. Baby heart beat fine. My pressure etc fine. She said the baby is 3/5ths engaged. No contractions yet. Just the mild period like pain has come back.
I'm really worried about instrumental/caesarean delivery.

All your responses are helping a lot. Thank you so much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now