Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Nhs fee exception card

(10 Posts)
Carsandtrucks Wed 26-Mar-14 12:53:03

When did you get yours? I still have a bit of time left on mine as my little boy is not quite 1 yet but a thought they would have sent me one for my new pregnancy already. I'm 18 weeks

Carsandtrucks Wed 26-Mar-14 12:55:18

Ah I've been online. You have to apply for them now?

Lottiedoubtie Wed 26-Mar-14 12:57:49

Yes, I applied for one by getting the form from the GPs, receptionist tried to tell me I wasn't 'pregnant enough yet' but that's bollocks, as long as pregnancys been confirmed you can get one. It took a couple of weeks to come through though.

Beanymonster Wed 26-Mar-14 13:00:58

It takes a while to come through but they are back dated, so you can still claim maternity exemption even if you don't have a valid card at that time.. Because when it arrives it would be covering you for today iykwim!!

Carsandtrucks Wed 26-Mar-14 13:01:32

Thanks. I'm sure I just got it automatically last time. Another job to add to the list!

meditrina Wed 26-Mar-14 13:06:05

I had to apply by filling in something at the GPs, they lose it and blame HA send it off and the card arrived in the post at second attempt

This was in the 1990s. So it looks as if it may have gone full circle since then in terms of need to apply.

squizita Wed 26-Mar-14 13:11:50

The GP usually does it/gives you the form when you inform them you're pregnant. Mine (it appears) forgot to post mine, so I'm going to ask my MW for one.

magichandles Wed 26-Mar-14 13:17:03

With DCs 1 & 2 my GP did the form when I went for the first time, this time she didn't and I forgot to remind her, so I got it off the MW at my booking appointment.

PenguinsEatSpinach Wed 26-Mar-14 13:33:36

You have to fill in a form, get it signed by GP or midwife and post it off. It doesn't come automatically.

nc060 Wed 26-Mar-14 14:03:42

When I had my 13 week scan the midwife got me to sign the form and it was with me approx 2 weeks later x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now