Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Swaddle Blanket, Sleeping Bag or ???

(11 Posts)
SandwichBag Wed 26-Mar-14 11:18:50

I haven't brought anything for baby yet and am only 17 weeks, but thinking I might start buying a few bits and bobs whilst im at work and can afford to splash out a bit... i've been looking at Merino Wool products and love the idea of a swaddle blanket or sleeping bag, but not sure if to get one or both and so would be interested in others opinions. Thanks

urterriblemuriel Wed 26-Mar-14 12:04:09

I think it's completely down to the baby - I swaddled my DD until she was 8 months but then friends children hated being restricted. I think most newborns like swaddling but can soon grow out of it, so perhaps just get sheets you can swaddle with and then buy a bag if needed. I wasted £20 on one that I never used!

In terms of the actual blanket, I think it was a stretchy jersey one from mamas and papas. Once she grew out of it I bought the massive Aden & Anais muslin ones, which were fantastic with loads of different designs.

Hope this helps!

everythinghippie29 Wed 26-Mar-14 12:06:16

I love DS's sleeping bag! Its so much easier than blankets with minimal hassle and no worries about him covering his face. We have 3 that are all 0-6 months. We swaddled him very early on when he was a bit too small for the bag, but he's 13 weeks now so don't anymore as apparently it restricts hip movement and growth as they get bigger.

I swaddled dd for about five months she loved it. I bought a Gro Swaddle, which was very easy to use, but also used giant muslin squares.

She went into a grobag when she moved into her big cot.

Artandco Wed 26-Mar-14 12:14:24

If you can I would by a merino swaddle and x2 sleeping bags. They have def been our best purchases.

The bags are from 2 months - 2 years approx. no need for diff sizes or togs as the merino adapts for climate. We had x2 per child to allow for one in the wash and one to use. After 4 years use and x2 children we sold them on eBay for £20 - 25 each ( paid £50)

The swaddle we also loved as ours startled themselves awake the first few weeks/ months. They were also handy as easy to wrap baby and move them over the eve from our lap/ to Moses basket in living room/ to cot/ or pram if needed and they stayed snug and wrapped ( and asleep!). I have also seen these on eBay recently for as little as £3 so you might find a bargain if you prefer.

SandwichBag Wed 26-Mar-14 13:33:02

Thanks everyone. I think i'll get both. At least with the swaddle blanket if baby doesnt like it I can use it as a normal blanket/throw... also just seen those giant muslin ones so might get those too as guess I could cut up into muslin squares if don't end up using to swaddle smile

Artandco Wed 26-Mar-14 13:35:44

Just so you know the merino swaddle can't be used as a blanket. Well at least the one we had as its shaped so you tuck ther feet in a pre shaped flap and fold both sides over...

Have a look on Cambridge baby though, they often have 10-15% codes off

SandwichBag Wed 26-Mar-14 13:53:43

Thanks - i've been looking at the non-shaped ones x

everythinghippie29 Wed 26-Mar-14 14:16:40

The giant muslins are AMAZING! grin

Artandco Wed 26-Mar-14 14:53:33

Ha we looked at those but dh and I were so confused we just went for the easy option!

Boogles91 Wed 26-Mar-14 17:15:59

I always had a blanket...still got it now :p so im gonna make sure our lil man has the same smile especially if hes anything like me he will love it lol his due date is 6days after my birthday so hes gonna be same starsign lol so will most likely end up like me smile hope you decide weve only spent on a travel system at mo wich was 2nd hand and practically new, real bargain and a couple of friends have bought us cotbed, highchair, steriliser system, bottles , monitors and a cute hooded towel . so we havent got to get any of the big stuff now. Cant wait to get my grant, so i can go out looking for more bargains :p and setting the cot up in bedroom getting it all ready for when lil man makes his arrival :D moneys tight for us at mo as i was sole earner before loosing my job. Will soon get back out there in future though smile x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now