Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Measuring 2 weeks ahead, any advice?

(8 Posts)
KiwiBanana Tue 25-Mar-14 21:59:07

At the midwife today she said I am measuring 2 weeks further along than my dates, has anyone else had this? I'm really worried about having a huge baby now!

BooksbyBelles Tue 25-Mar-14 22:08:28

This is completely normal;my sisters best friend and and my cousin had the same experience very recently. It doesn't mean that you will have a huge baby but your date may be pushed forward. If anything this is a great thing and you'll be holding your bundle of joy sooner than you thought! smile

CarlyKins Tue 25-Mar-14 23:32:35

I feel your worries! Lol, had a lot of growth scans and all said he's above average and weighed over 7lb at the 36 week scan. Am also measuring 2 weeks ahead which scares life out of me thinking he's going to be huge. They give u 3cm out on each side so they see measuring 2 weeks early or ahead as normal, it's when it goes more than 3cm out that they have concern. Although this doesn't stop the worry :-( I'm due 2 weeks today and am hoping he will come a week or so early but if not am going to ask about being induced near to 40 weeks because if their estimates are right then he's going to be huge if I go over 2 weeks. So my advice to u is to try not to worry too much and just go with the flow, if your baby is not here by 40w let them know how you're feeling and see what they can do. Hopefully they are wrong and our babies won't be huge lol all the best x

williwonti Wed 26-Mar-14 01:53:59

Really don't worry. These measurements are clinical, only scans give a (slightly) better indication. I was measuring above top line on all mine and scans show me on top line and delivered second 10lb baby last week. All fine.

schmalex Wed 26-Mar-14 02:11:51

Don't panic OP! I was measuring 5 weeks ahead at one point of this pregnancy, although it slowed down to 2 weeks ahead towards the end. I had growth scans and they said I had quite a bit of fluid and a slightly large baby.

DS was born last week at 38+5 and was 7lbs 6.

weebairn Wed 26-Mar-14 07:11:36

I think up to 3cm either way is considered normal. I was 35cm at term and no one was very worried and baby was pretty normal-sized (6 lb 14)

KiwiBanana Wed 26-Mar-14 09:26:34

Ok so I don't need to panic yet, phew! My last baby was 8lb 6 so I wasn't expecting this one to be tiny, just wasn't sure how much to worry.
I won't be seeing a midwife again until a month from now when I will be 34 weeks so hopefully baby will have slowed down by then.

Inglori0us Wed 26-Mar-14 11:41:47

It's not an exact science. I've measured up to 6 weeks over and my consultant isn't bothered. A lot of it is down to the baby's position too.
Don't panic!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now