Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

I am 40 days late now, negative pregnancy test

(22 Posts)
VeryWorried92 Tue 25-Mar-14 16:21:22

Hello,

I am 40 days late as of today and its been 66 days since my last period.
I have taken around 10 home pregnancy tests and they all came back negative.
I have missed 2 periods now, I have seen a doctor but they wont do anything as they're saying home pregnancy tests are not wrong.
I swear my tummy is getting bigger and harder, I am pregnant.
I had nausea, headaches, sore breasts, I have been very tired lately.
My doctor thinks Im going crazy and it is impossible for me to be pregnant as it would show up on a home pregnancy test.
I am 21 years old, I have never had irregular period. I have been on contraceptive implant for 3 years and had it removed 5 months ago.
All my periods were regular.
The doctor want to give me pills to induct period but I am refusing to take them in case Im pregnant.
I dont know what to think, I am very confused and irritated.
Could I be pregnant or is there something wrong with me?

anotherplace Tue 25-Mar-14 16:26:45

I know of a number of women who had negative pregnancy tests up until 5/6 months. I'd insist on a scan.

SqutterNutBaush Tue 25-Mar-14 16:30:23

It could be a phantom pregnancy, i've heard of that when people stop taking hormonal contraception.

No way to tell without a scan though.

2sugarsmeans3 Tue 25-Mar-14 16:37:35

Can you get an appointment with another GP at your surgery who will take your concerns seriously and send you for a scan?

MummaSmurf1 Tue 25-Mar-14 17:01:58

Won't they give you a blood test? I'd be worried about their relaxed attitude. If you're not pregnant than surely they should look into the unusual patterns etc in case it's something else.

bakingtins Tue 25-Mar-14 17:07:08

I think you are justified in asking for a scan - if you are not pregnant then they should be looking for ovarian cysts etc that can interrupt your cycle.

JokersGiggle Tue 25-Mar-14 17:27:11

Poor you x

anotherplace Tue 25-Mar-14 17:40:08

You have to have a scan. Phantom pregnancies are rare in young women but 40 days late is not normal.

Clargo55 Tue 25-Mar-14 17:50:20

If they will not give you a scan, are you in a position to pay for one privately? They cost around £59 here.

babymouse Tue 25-Mar-14 18:17:15

Have you tried your local Sexual Health Clinic or Walk-in Centre? They may be more sympathetic than your GP.

Something is off, they need to find out what is going on.

gunwalloe Tue 25-Mar-14 18:33:20

OP apart from your current stress with the late period are you under any other stress?
On the run up to my wedding I didn't get periods for 6 months also if I diet my period stops. I don't know if others get this to?

willitbe Tue 25-Mar-14 18:51:38

It is possible you could be pregnant - if you have not used contraception and had unprotected sex.

Did the doctor feel your stomach to check to see if your uterus was enlarged? If not then this is the first thing to ask for. They will generally not send you for a scan unless you have other indications of pregnancy, namely an enlarged uterus (other symptoms of tiredness, nausea etc do not count).

My sister had a pregnancy that had negative tests, she was eventually sent for a scan at 4 months, and she was 4 months pregnant, having never had a positive test. It can happen. But her uterus was clearly enlarged and the doctor assumed it was a huge ovarian cyst.

However, it is actually more likely that it is just an annovulatory cycle, and the doctor is correct that the pill might just kick start your cycle again for you. Your tummy would not be feeling larger and harder at 66 days since last period. It would only feel bloated.

The likelihood is that the doctor is correct, but you can go and get a second opinion (especially if they did not feel your stomach to see if the uterus was enlarged), at 84 days since your last period, you would be 12 weeks, and thus if you were pregnant that is when the uterus would be up to the top of the pelvis, so if you could wait another couple of weeks it would make the situation clearer for the doctor.

I hope you get reassurance soon.

Sareva Wed 26-Mar-14 06:11:47

Hi VeryWorried,

Last year I started skipping periods every other month, I would take a pregnancy test it would come back negative and the following month I would get my period, twice as heavy and painful. after this happened twice I went to my doctor who said women can skip periods up to 6 months in a 12 month period but if it happened again to come back and he would refer me for gynaecology tests.
I was convinced that I was going through the early menopause (thanks google) but the next time it happened it turned out that on that occasion I was pregnant (currently 28 weeks).
Please try and get a second opinion, if you think you could be pregnant then do you have a self referral early pregnancy unit? I have one near me that takes walk-ins 6 days a week in the mornings.
I hope you get answers soon.

ToAvoidConversation Wed 26-Mar-14 06:34:04

It's only been five months since you came off the implant, it could easily be an anovulatary cycle.

MovingGal Wed 26-Mar-14 07:31:09

I've had four pregnancies and not one positive home pregnancy test. Each time I had to get a blood test due to low hormone levels in the early stages.
Maybe you could get a blood test ? Might be cheaper than a scan?

Could you afford a private blood test or scan OP? Your GP sounds very unreasonable, has he/she at least felt your abdomen to see if they can feel the womb?

I would be demanding a scan or blood test or finding out how much it would be for a private one. thanks

monim1 Wed 26-Mar-14 08:10:10

Normally 40 years is too late for having baby. You can consult wit doctor. Don't be worry. Everything will be fine.You will get help from this forum www.mumsnet.com/

bakingtins Wed 26-Mar-14 11:31:07

monim OP is 21 and is posting on mumsnet confused

SqutterNutBaush Wed 26-Mar-14 11:34:33

and there are quite a lot if pregnant ladies in their 40's too :/

KitKat1985 Wed 26-Mar-14 12:14:18

I would say the most likely scenario is that your body has gone a bit haywire from having your implant out 5 months ago, and the change in hormone levels is what is stopping your period. When I first started trying and came off the pill for example my first period off the pill was 2 weeks late. Prior to that my periods had been regular for years. Coming off the pill made me nauseous, tired and hormonal, so I assumed I might be pregnant (as I say, we were actively trying). I think it just happens because of all the hormonal changes. There were quite a few people I knew on the 'trying to conceive' threads that didn't have a period for 2-6 months after coming off the pill / implants, and often had weird hormone related 'symptoms'. As others have said it is possible to get negative pregnancy tests and still be pregnant, but it's rare. Have you actually had unprotected sex since coming off your implant? If not I'd give it another few weeks and see what happens.

KitKat1985 Wed 26-Mar-14 12:15:42

monim the poster is saying that her period is 40 days late, not that she is 40 years old! x

notaflamingclue Wed 26-Mar-14 12:32:32

monim1 thankfully I haven't taken your advice and am pregnant for the second time in my forties angry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now