Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

First appointment- whys it so early?

(6 Posts)
Cakehan Tue 25-Mar-14 16:17:20

Hi I posted another thread yesterday but this one is completly different topic-
I rung the doctors today because despite what I decide to do with this baby I can't deny it's there (about 6 weeks I think)
But anyway I thought they would book me in with my gp to confirm it but they said the midwife can fit me in on Thursday?
Is this normal? What will happen ?
I still havnt told mt partner / the father yet it's all abit of a shock and I think I should go to this appointment and get more info before I tell him. Or will he be missing out on anything?
Thanks x

MissSlackPants84 Tue 25-Mar-14 16:22:09

Its usually the booking appointment. They will ask you a load of questions about yours, your partners and both sets of families health background. She'll want urine sample and probably bloods too along with your blood pressure, weight and height. Different areas see woman at differnt stages of pregnancy. In my area we are seen at 8 weeks.

Cakehan Tue 25-Mar-14 16:23:47

They didn't even ask how far gone I was on the phone - should I ring back and explain? Or will they prosume I've not rung so early? Xx

SqutterNutBaush Tue 25-Mar-14 16:25:55

In our area we get the booking appointment as sin as we find out.

MissSlackPants84 Tue 25-Mar-14 16:31:44

It may just be that they see you asap in your area smile

JustDanni Tue 25-Mar-14 18:16:36

It will ve a booking appointment to confirm your pregancy and set up your first scan in about 6 weeks time.
They will also discuss family history and health, alcohol and drugs etc.
You will probably recieve your pregancy notes and they will likely take a blood sample to find your blood type and check sugar, iron and hormone levels.
Totally normal. You wont have a scan for a number of weeks and won't see your midwives for quite some time after this appointment.
It is just to get the ball rolling for appointments throughout your pregancy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now