Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Question about bath in third trimester.

(13 Posts)
seashell81 Tue 25-Mar-14 11:31:44

I've been having baths throughout my pregnancy and am worried that I have had the bath water too hot. The last couple baths i've had baby has really moved around ALOT and i'm worried that it might mean he's in some sort of distress. Does anyone have any info about this? I'm 31 weeks. (
Btw so i am finding that after a peaceful second trimester, the anxieties of the first trimester are returning in the third! Just want the lil dude to be okay!)

greentshirt Tue 25-Mar-14 11:52:22

Just have the water less hot?

I have a lot of hot baths, its pretty much one of the only pleasures left even though now I have to be helped in and out. I did look out for a change in movements in case it was too hot, but they are roughly the same so I assume he is ok with it!

Middleagedmotheroftwo Tue 25-Mar-14 11:53:58

The baby is pretty well insulated from changes in external temperature, so I really wouldn't worry. The more than usual movement might just be due to the fact that you notice it more as you're lying down and relaxing, and you're mind's not on other stuff.

cravingcake Tue 25-Mar-14 14:00:22

Exactly what middleagedmotheroftwo said. Plus i found my bump mostly stuck out of the water anyway - like a little island grin

JollyMarie79 Tue 25-Mar-14 14:15:49

I have hot baths but bump so big now that it sticks out, I don't fill it as deep as I'd usually like to either.

Relax and enjoy your baths mama xxx

Aliama Tue 25-Mar-14 15:52:43

I always found with dd that bathing seemed to wake her up a bit. I think it could have been a combination of light from the nekkidness and the sensation of warmth.

Sometimes too hot a bath can make YOU feel faint, so be cautious particularly when you get out.

Bear in mind that unlike in a sauna or hot tub you're not fully immersed/surrounded, so your body temperature isn't likely to increase much. Also, the bath water will be losing heat all the time, rather than being held steady.

Boogles91 Wed 26-Mar-14 00:35:07

Reading this has relaxed my mind abit smile im only 24wks but too love a hot. Bath and struggle to get tempretures right lol my bump sticks out aswel :D i always watch him making my belly move loads and the water :p x

seashell81 Wed 26-Mar-14 10:51:00

Thanks for your reassuring replies! Its all common sense but sometimes we need others to point out the common sense for us, eh? I've been really calm for the last few months but just lately seem to be freaking out about something every day! Thanks again xx

Middleagedmotheroftwo Wed 26-Mar-14 11:04:26

Remember, that a baby will usually survive at the expense of the mother! There's not a lot you can do that would cause major harm to the baby (obvs things like smoking aside of course).

LondonJen Wed 26-Mar-14 11:26:06

Just to say, I have seen people on here advise others that if baby seems to be moving less (and therefore causing worry) to have a bath. I don't know the logic behind it but the idea being it's likely to get baby moving and calm mum's anxiety about lack of movement so I guess there is something in that?

Boogles91 Wed 26-Mar-14 17:27:46

It is common sense but i think anxiety just takes over our minds wich have already been turned to mush :p and therefor find ourselves panicking about something really stupid lol i was already silly enough before getting pregnant..now im a lot worse 0.o dont know how my hubby shuts off from it all :p ive found that it wakes my lil man up everytime smile but i get the odd occasion where hes been at it all day. My whole pelvic area is in dyer pain and just want to relax in a nice hot bath wich doesnt happen as hes still going for some -.- x

MinnieMouse5678 Wed 26-Mar-14 17:35:06

I used to get really light headed and dizzy if I had a bath too hot, when i mentioned it to my MW she said it just isn't favourable to have a bath too hot in pregnancy. (So not necessarily harmful to baby
She warned me that if I felt unwell in the bath because it made me dizzy it could cause me to slip.
She d

CoilRegret Wed 26-Mar-14 17:37:04

I always found it embarrassing to get out. Not elegant. In any way. Think heffalump in a tea cup.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now