Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Growth scans

(7 Posts)
chattychattyboomba Mon 24-Mar-14 19:04:22

If your first baby was 10.5lbs, spontaneous labour 40+4, would you expect a growth scan in second pregnancy?
No history of gestational diabetes. We are both tall and I am quite slim. Have been told her size was just genetics and chances of another heffer are likely- but they don't seem too bothered about the prospect of me birthing vaginally again. And are not allowing me to have a growth scan which would broaden my options as far as birth goes.
Fundal measurements are always normal so irrelevant. I even measured a week under with DD1. Common in naturally slim people.
F.y.i first birth was not a straight forward birth but she did come out.... Eventually.

chattychattyboomba Mon 24-Mar-14 19:18:47

Giant bump wink

pommedeterre Mon 24-Mar-14 19:25:12

Have you asked for one? You can ask your go to be refered to an obstetrician to discuss it?

chattychattyboomba Mon 24-Mar-14 19:33:00

Yes I did. Asked MW at last appointment. Was told no- that it wasn't a 'problem'. I am not sure this is right. 4kg is considered macrosomia. DD was 4.7kg.

chattychattyboomba Mon 24-Mar-14 19:34:35

Pomme- do you mean GP? I might try see if she will give me a referral. She seemed quite understanding at my early appointment.

pommedeterre Mon 24-Mar-14 20:44:54

Yes, sorry gp. They can refer you to a consultant.

chattychattyboomba Mon 24-Mar-14 23:03:34

Thanks pomme- will see how I go with that! Meanwhile- has anyone had experience with this? Or if your 1st was big, were your subsequent births more closely examined? I know it's likely to be circumstantial but I want to know what the common practice is with this. I feel my concerns have been a little fobbed off tbh and if others say they received a growth scan based on previous birth size then I will push for one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now