Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Second pregnancy - need to tell someone

(15 Posts)
LilP Tue 25-Mar-14 18:11:04

Thanks all - it's so good to hear that other people are in the same boat. Found myself today doing that trick that soap actresses have to when they're pregnant but their character isn't - bags strategically placed on lap etc! I think I have decided that I will try and wait a couple more weeks and then tell my family although my tummy and insatiable thirst and hunger might give the game away at work before then. I'm abit superstitious about joining the Nov birth thread till after the scan, but if all is good I will. Thanks so much ladies for replying ladies.

Reb3cca Tue 25-Mar-14 16:19:53

Congratulations! I am also pregnant with no 2 and I totally agree I felt like I was showing by about 9 weeks!! I am now 15 weeks and definitely have a much bigger bump than what I did at 20 weeks with DD. If you are interested I have started a pregnancy video update; you can watch it here smile Enjoy your pregnancy and I hope the weeks fly by until you can share your exciting news!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3bLjGSHMZE&index=3&list=UU-DxGKz7B0xh_zSDzgnL2cw

WhatAHooHa Tue 25-Mar-14 11:25:02

Oh yeah, I know what you mean about the bump this time - I keep saying to DH that I must have eaten something that's made me really bloated but I don't know who I'm trying to kid!

Northernexile Tue 25-Mar-14 11:23:57

Congratulations! I'm 5+3 at the minute and hate it being a secret! Have you joined us on the November thread yet? If not, do, because you can do all your venting with us!

WhatAHooHa Tue 25-Mar-14 11:20:47

Congratulations! Second time here as well, 6 Weeks in and we've told both sets of parents. Struggling with friends as all of them have birthdays between Feb - May so trying to find excuses not to attend birthday nights out is.proving tricky!

I don't feel quite as pregnant this time... Think I'm just too busy to have time to think about it as much! After ds's health issues last time (he was discovered to have a heart defect at our 20wk scan) I don't think I'll really relax and enjoy this one until/unless we get the all-clear in the anomaly scan. That's a long time to wait!

mopsytop Tue 25-Mar-14 10:40:22

Congrats! It sounds like you are close to your family, so why not tell them? It would make things a bit less stressful for you it seems?

flipflopsonfifthavenue Tue 25-Mar-14 08:23:11

Im 7+wks pg with DC2 and I feel very different about this one. Feel I want to tell everyone right away! DC1 I didn't tell work til 20wks, and only told close family at 12wks. I certainly won't be able to hide it from work for 5 months this time - I echo what everyone else has said about second time around bump! Where did THIS come from??

I think that with so many changes coming up, it will be comforting and a great help for your immediate family to know what you're going through.

We told our parents yesterday, and now it feels real smile The way we saw it, if something happened to the pregancy we'd tell our parents anyway, so it was ok to tell them this soon. Not telling anyone else til 12wk scan though.

Congratualtions!

ikeaismylocal Mon 24-Mar-14 20:34:57

The second baby bump really shocked me, we actually went for an early scan just to make sure there was only 1 in there as I looked about 6 months pregnant at 6 weeks blush

Congratulations to you too hartmel, how lovely to have children so close in age smile

LilP Mon 24-Mar-14 20:30:05

Lol - I could still barely entertain the thought of doing the deed when dd was less than 6mths old! Good for you! I can already feel my waistbands rolling underneath my bloated tummy!
I am really thinking it would be sensible to tell my family - if all progresses well then we will definitely need help packing up and cleaning the house - they offered to anyway, but at least they'll know I'm not just being lazy if I refuse to do heavy lifting!

hartmel Mon 24-Mar-14 20:18:34

Congratulations.. I'm also pregnant with DC2. But my first one is 6 1/2 month old. The first 7 weeks I felt so sick, which I didn't with no 1 and worse with this one is headaches.
I'm now 10 weeks can hardly wait for my 12 week scan. smile
I told both sides of parents. And my work as I won't return from mat leave.

Oh and I'm wearing maternity clothing already. I have bump that my husband is scared that there is more then one in there

When are you due?

LilP Mon 24-Mar-14 19:37:51

Congratulations are due for you too then! smile

ikeaismylocal Mon 24-Mar-14 18:35:30

I think 2nd pregnancies can be really different, I'm 9 weeks pregnant with dc2 (ds1 is 15 months) I feel so different this time both physically and emotionally, there is just so much more to think about in terms of emotions with a 2nd pregnancy. I have told quite a few people but I'm terrible at secrets

Could you book an early scan? the risk of mc reduces dramatically after you see a heartbeat which you can often se earound 7 weeks smile

LilP Mon 24-Mar-14 18:27:51

Thanks so much for your reply and congratulatory wishes! I'm sure you're right, the weeks will rush by. I will speak to my husband and see if he minds me telling someone. It feels as though we are trying to handle this news the same as first time around, yet our lives are entirely different.

ikeaismylocal Mon 24-Mar-14 17:56:06

Congratulations on your pregnancy thanks It sounds like you have lots on at the moment, hopefully that will keep your mind busy and the time will go really fast and your will be seeing a bouncing baby at your 12 week scan soon.

How would you feel about telling just one or two very close friends/family members? It sounds like you could do with someone to talk to and real life friends always know your situation much better that us online, they might make you feel better.

LilP Mon 24-Mar-14 17:40:13

Hello Mums
Just found out at the weekend that I'm pregnant with number 2. I need somewhere to just let out this secret! My OH and I have agreed not to tell anyone till after the 12wk scan which is what we did last time - luckily I had no morning sickness so it was easy to conceal. However this time I feel like my boobs and tummy have already grown - which I realise sounds ridiculous as I am only 5 weeks gone. We are also in the process of moving house and relocating to a diff area and have my daughters 3rd birthday party in 4 weeks where there will be all our friends and family - I just don't know how I'll be able to hide it for another 2 months! I feel desperate to have a scan so that I can tell people. I am happy about the pregnancy but also majorly daunted by so mainly factors, not least that we'll only just have moved into a new area, feel like this is another ball to juggle right now. And if the pregnancy doesn't work out, how will I cope - The 12wk scan will probably take place the same week that we move house - not sure I could handle both at the same time... I have felt on the edge of tears twice today - probably hormones making it all worse. Sorry - this is a pointless post, just feel I need someone other than my husband to speak to about all this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now