Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Wee sample at 16 week appointment?

(12 Posts)
MrsGiraffe12 Mon 24-Mar-14 12:25:33

Simple question, do I need to take a sample? I haven't been told if I need to take one or not. But don't want to carry wee around with me all day :-S

MissSlackPants84 Mon 24-Mar-14 12:27:28

Ive been asked to take one to every midwife appointment so I would think so.

MrsGiraffe12 Mon 24-Mar-14 12:28:52

Fab thanks for the prompt reply x

FrankelandFilly Mon 24-Mar-14 12:29:43

I had to take a sample to every appt too. Just carry an empty pot in your bag and then pee in it just before your appointment, that's what I did.

TheScience Mon 24-Mar-14 12:29:58

They will check your urine at every appointment - if you don't take one with you they will want a sample while you're there.

kally195 Mon 24-Mar-14 13:07:20

I don't take one - I just get given a strip and go pee on that at the start of the appointment.

squizita Mon 24-Mar-14 13:13:06

They give me the wee pot at reception, so I tend to just drink a bottle of water on the way there then pee once there.

amy246 Mon 24-Mar-14 13:24:43

Anyone know if they'll do bloods at the 16 week appointment? I need to prepare myself for the trauma! Lol. They always struggle to find my veins, grrrr!

PenguinsEatSpinach Mon 24-Mar-14 13:24:47

Depends whether you've been given a pot or not! I'm always given one and asked to bring it, but other places don't give you a pot and just ask you to do a sample whilst you are there.

PenguinsEatSpinach Mon 24-Mar-14 13:25:35

Amy - Did you have bloods at booking/12 week scan? If you had one of those then no, the next bloods are at 28 weeks in a low risk pregnancy.

thebestnameshavegone Mon 24-Mar-14 13:45:23

amy I had bloods taken at 16 weeks but that's because my local nhs don't offer nuchal translucency testing and so test for Downs etc by blood only at 16 weeks.
I was worried because its usually very difficult to take my blood because of rubbish veins. but it was actually very straight-forward this time. the midwife said it was because your blood volume increases during pregnancy and so everything was more "plumped up". the midwife got my vein first time!

CoolCat2014 Mon 24-Mar-14 14:05:31

I had 16 wk appt today, they did wee and blood pressure, no needles. Take a sample if you can, if not they will give you a pot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now