Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Hosiptal bag - dryers and straighteners??

(30 Posts)

Ok this is my 3rd baby and its been 13 years since my last...... My hosiptal photos with my first were horrendous! And with my second I was out within 6 hours - this time I'm anticipating ill be in a bit longer as I really want support with breast feeding.
Now is this being vain but can i take my dryer and straighteners?? Are u allowed them on the ward etc - I just really want to look and feel human again after the birth and actually have some nice hospital pics this time around
Silly question I know - I should ask my midwife on Tuesday but I feel like I'm bring really vain lol

5madthings Mon 24-Mar-14 11:23:02

I don't think you will be able to use them as they have rules 're electrical equipment and it having to be safety tested?

I think you're not supposed to use non-tested electricals in the hospital so you may not get the opportunity to use them, having said that, I have no idea if there is a socket point within the bathrooms themselves and nobody would be any the wiser if there is. I'm pretty sure you won't be allowed them by your bedside.

KenDoddsDadsDog Mon 24-Mar-14 11:24:01

I took mine and was ok to use. Depends where you are I guess.

Locketjuice Mon 24-Mar-14 11:25:23

I took mine and used them.. Just plugged them in by my bed and nothing was mentioned smile

Beccadugs Mon 24-Mar-14 11:26:13

I used mine on the ward while I was being induced (apologised to everybody else first) I checked with the midwives and they were fine about it.
I was in for 5 days post c-section and had a private room and never had time to use them!
(Three weeks on I've managed to blow dry and straighten my hair three times, the rest I just let it air dry!!)

WipsGlitter Mon 24-Mar-14 11:33:01

I brought a hairdryer and used it. I had a private room though.

Inglori0us Mon 24-Mar-14 11:56:37

I took and used mini straighteners and nothing was said. You can use phone chargers, laptops etc so I think it's fine as long as you're not disturbing other people with noise.

Ok, never thought about the electrical testing etc i don't expect to be getting glammed up just a quick straighten and blow dry would help make me feel semi human lol
Thanks for the info x

TheScience Mon 24-Mar-14 11:59:24

In my experience there weren't enough staff around to tell you not to anyway! So long as you don't disturb people I think you'll be fine.

BikeRunSki Mon 24-Mar-14 12:01:12

I bought some foundation to look ok in hospital photos of dc2. She's 2.5 now and the foundation is untouched

MrRected Mon 24-Mar-14 12:06:19

I am in awe that you will have the time to consider them - and I am not being sarcastic!

I didn't wash my hair for at least 3 or 4 days after any of my children's births. I can't find time to dry and straighten now and they are 12.9&6!

ChocolateBiscuitCake Mon 24-Mar-14 12:20:02

When you first go into labour, shower, blow dry and make up!

Hopefully all will last by the time you hold the baby in your arms!!

I was thinking I'd run to the shower while hubby visits so I know baby will be fine - will do that chocolatebiscuitcake!
Hope you all don't think it's a vanity thing is just about being comfortable and hopefully having a few pics that don't entirely make me cringe lol
But I suppose baby will dictate how all this goes - I was pretty lucky with my previous 2 they were very content so I'm hoping hub can hold the fort for a few mins while I make myself human lol

MrsGiraffe12 Mon 24-Mar-14 12:31:38

I was wondering the same so thanks for asking this question x

SandwichBag Mon 24-Mar-14 13:51:15

Glad you posted this as I will definately be taking my straighteners with me! I'm sure you will find time to spend 10 mins on yourself smile

Littlebean13 Mon 24-Mar-14 14:23:06

I had to stay in hospital for 8 days after ds1 was born & my hospital had their own hairdryer for patients to use. Not sure about straightners I never asked. They didn't have plug sockets in the bathrooms and I daren't use it on the ward incase I woke up any sleeping babies or mums so I just let it air dry. Suppose it would be fine if you had a private room.

PretzelPrincess Mon 24-Mar-14 14:30:01

Think it depends on the hospital. I asked my DH to bring it in and then he took it home with him. Tbh I don't mind my hair when it's air dried and have a couple of styles that look near but natural. I also took some makeup with me and my contacts instead of my glasses. And I had the time and energy to get dressed properly each morning. I was in for 6 days after DS was born and about 6 before he was born.
I totally get you want to feel yourself especially when people come to visit etc. Not vain at all!

Annasdjebrouni Mon 24-Mar-14 14:37:22

My hospital (north London) were quite strict on the day shifts, not so strict onthe night shift!! I had my phone charger. Can't even remember if I took a hair dryer! DD is 20 months now. It was almost 30 degrees outside for the 3 days I was in due to feeding issues so I just let it air dry and it dried in no time!! I anticipate being in this time aswell due to a prolapse (sorry if tmi) but I'm not bothered about straighteners. I'm not a makeup/hair kind of person.

But I don't think it's vanity. I think it's totally fair to want to look good. It's whatever makes you feel comfortable and feminine at a difficult time.

PenguinsEatSpinach Mon 24-Mar-14 14:43:02

Mine would not in a million years let you plug anything like that in. You might sneak a phone charger at a push.

purplebaubles Mon 24-Mar-14 14:50:16

I'm just taking dry shampoo. I really can't see that straighteners are allowed - massive fire hazard apart from anything else!!

PenguinsEatSpinach Mon 24-Mar-14 14:53:16

Not just a fire hazard, serious risk of burns to other people from straighteners. There's that horrific stat about burns to children from straighteners in the home.

Thanks ladies for all the replies think ill just take the straighteners if allowed - doubt ill get my own room so don't want to disturb others whilst blow drying my hair!
Just waiting a waiting game now! X

*just a waiting game now*

mrsmugoo Mon 24-Mar-14 16:14:57

Crikey I barely could be bothered to plug my phone in let alone straighteners!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now