Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Let's talk about nappies!

(18 Posts)
Hobby2014 Sat 22-Mar-14 09:19:01

Do I need to buy newborn nappies with the cord cut out? If so, what sizes? Size 0, 1, 2? How many of each? If baby is born a size 1, will they still be a size 1 when the cord comes off? so then will the size 2 pack be wasted or can I use the cord cut out ones when the baby gets big enough even though there's no cord?
Are these nappies just a way of making mums buy stuff? Do I just get normal nappies in different sizes? Ahhhhhh! Help!

Iwillorderthefood Sat 22-Mar-14 09:24:19

Check out the weights shown on the packs, there is crossover between the two. Start off with size 1s get quite a few, but don't stockpile hundreds as the baby will grow quickly. You will probably go onto size 2 quite quickly.

Yes you can use them with the cord cut out after it has fallen off with no problems.

KatAndKit Sat 22-Mar-14 09:42:46

For most babies size 1 is best at first. Although size 2 say from 6 pounds, the leg openings can be too big at first and size 1 are better When you still have the cord stump. My DS was 8lb at birth and we used 3 packs of size 1 and moved up to size 2 by 2 weeks.

Peacenquiet2 Sat 22-Mar-14 09:50:28

My ds born last week was 9,4 and went straight into first size nappies and i just folded fron down the till umbelicol cord dropped off.
No need Buy special cut out nappies etc, i just got aldi ones and they do sthe job fine. None of my 3 dc had special nappies and they have all been fine.

lighteningmcmama Sat 22-Mar-14 11:10:23

Yes yes to just buying normal nappies and folding down the top.

Christelle2207 Sat 22-Mar-14 11:22:29

Size ones fine just fold over the front. Don't get loads as they grow quickly!

slightlyinsane Sat 22-Mar-14 11:30:32

Don't worry about getting too many of the wrong size, supermarkets are always happy to change them for the next size up.

Possiblyorange Sat 22-Mar-14 11:49:46

I didn't know cord cutout ones even existed till reading this thread! We have just folded down normal ones then moved onto cloth nappies once stump was healed.

YouAreMyRain Sat 22-Mar-14 12:14:19

Another vote for folding the top down on a normal nappy. Good luck xx

yellowsnownoteatwillyou Sat 22-Mar-14 12:23:49

I never knew about cord cut out nappies, I was a folder. Aldi nappies are brilliant, had them at the beginning went to asda little angels for a bit due to them being delivered, but back to aldi now. Ds 8 months.
Shops don't mind swapping nappies for different sizes if they aren't opened.

Beanymonster Sat 22-Mar-14 12:35:53

Just keep hold of the receipts, although asda have always been amazing in exchanging several packs for the next size up without a receipt for me...!

Hobby2014 Sat 22-Mar-14 13:09:53

Thanks all. Going to have a nosey in the super market now, will stay away from cord cut outs!

Hobby2014 Sat 22-Mar-14 13:12:26

Thanks all. Going to have a nosey in the super market now, to look at weights etc and will not bother wasting money with the cut out ones. Thanks again.

Hobby2014 Sat 22-Mar-14 13:12:57

Ahh technology.

AuditAngel Sat 22-Mar-14 22:07:41

I have 3 DC and have never bought nappies with a cord bit?

DD2 was born at 36+1 and wore size 0 nappies for a while. Dd1 was 8lb11oz and wore size 1 at first.

I did use cord cut nappies at first but didnt realise they were special haha.
DS1 born 7lb 9oz in size one
Ds2 born 5lb 4oz in micro nappies

PenguinsEatSpinach Sun 23-Mar-14 16:10:24

I would just say don't stock up too much. A lot of brands gavr my two rashes, so I would have wasted a lot if I had masses. or different shaped babies leak in different brands. There is definitely some trial and error.smile

FrankelandFilly Sun 23-Mar-14 16:16:40

DD1 (13 days old) is in Size 1 nappies, she was 8lb15oz at birth. As others have said just told the top down until the cord comes off.

Also buy several different brands of nappy to see what works for you. We bought 2 packs each of Pampers, Tesco own brand, Asda own brand and Aldi own brand.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now