Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

pregnant = taxi

(17 Posts)
Dazedconfused Fri 21-Mar-14 15:12:31

just that really....angry

sister and BIL just assuming I can run them around wherever and did not even ask....just feeling a bit pissed off and ranty i would say no but my sister doenst live here so i very rarely get to see her . just done a.long week at work and now spending my weekend carting people about.

MissSlackPants84 Fri 21-Mar-14 15:25:31

I've only just passed my test and im expected to run everyone around. I've even got to be the des on my 30th birthday for everyone sad

Dazedconfused Fri 21-Mar-14 15:31:16

I feel your pain missslackpants. they have also volunteered to buy DH pints as payment/thanks without realising the irony that it is my car and my petrol(and me doing the f-ing driving)....and all I can drink is water.

flymo79 Fri 21-Mar-14 15:47:21

rude b'stards. If you're fed up with it just say no. I would offer as I'm not tired of it yet, but as soon as people just assume and start saying "flymo will do it" I'll say, ahem, no I won't, jog on pal.

slightlyinsane Fri 21-Mar-14 15:59:03

Completely understand this. We arranged for the kids to stay at gps one night so I could pick dh up from his works leaving do. We'd had a disagreement day before and weren't on the best of terms anyway. He knows I'm beyond tired by 11 and I was expecting him to understand this. 1 am I finally got a text saying he was ready to be picked up. 45 min drive there to be greeted by 3 pissed up people expecting a lift home. I'd never met these additional people before which annoys me at the best of times. I finally got in bed at half 3 for my 4 hrs sleep before having to pick kids up. I'm still waiting for a thank you. Inconsiderate *** **!!!!

squizita Fri 21-Mar-14 16:13:21

angry I told 3 close mates and it was almost like "congratulations... oh by the way you're the driver for the work do next week?" Grrrrrrrrrrr.

flymo79 Fri 21-Mar-14 16:48:47

slightlyinsane - the EXACT same thing happened with me and DP with his work thing. He was all pissed and couldn't understand why I was so angry. He managed to hold up his indignance for another two days and then I went preggo HULK on him and he relented that he had, in fact, been a shit.

cookielove Fri 21-Mar-14 17:01:10

I've been running people around for the last 13 years, so annoying. Dh doesn't drive, but he better by the time this baby is born grrrr and basically most of my friends are crap not confident drivers, or don't have access to a car.

I do prefer to drive though, one of my biggest bug bears is when people live their rubbish in my car!!

buffythebarbieslayer Fri 21-Mar-14 17:33:22

Some of these make me angry

I refuse to be taxi just because I'm pregnant. Made that mistake a couple of times the first time round.

In fact going to a 40th tomorrow night. But as I'm 37 weeks my dh will be driving us home and not drinking either. I'm too tired and uncomfortable to be driving an hour and a half home late at night.

Just refuse

PigletJohn Fri 21-Mar-14 18:05:43

"I don't know anyone who wants to drive you. Do you?"

or

"Try this number for a taxi"

greentshirt Fri 21-Mar-14 18:18:05

I play the tiredness card too. No way am I driving everyone around for them all to forget to even buy me a soft drink!

BlindKitty Sun 23-Mar-14 10:52:50

I have been driving Dh around a lot more but since he taxi'ed me around for the first 8 years of knowing him it's defo my turn to suck it up! grin I won't be preggers forever though...,wink

ohthegoats Sun 23-Mar-14 11:17:22

If you drive, then you make the rules on when you leave. I made the mistake of not doing this last night, and was still watching people drinking whisky at 11.30. By the time I got to bed it was 12.15, and I feel crap today as a result. Next time I'm going home at 10, if you want a lift, that's your Cinderella hour.

Dazedconfused Sun 23-Mar-14 12:52:09

Have survived the weekend but made it clear that just because I'm going to things does not make me the taxi also when I said at 2200 like was tired and going home they looked like I had slapped them....but couldn't say no stay until three am when we won't be coherent or interesting. just said either stick to my timescales or get an actual taxi.

glad to see am not alone thanks mumsnetters xxx

Dazedconfused Sun 23-Mar-14 12:52:55

should say 'I was tired' not like...

I always gave a very early departure time on lifts. "I dont mind taking you but im leaving at ten pm with or without you" and just got up and left at that time.

KitKat1985 Sun 23-Mar-14 21:21:18

I've got a few friends like this. It gets very annoying. I'm the only driver in a few of my close friends and so at the best of times nights out invariably involve me being designated driver, or having to perform 'taxi' services, and being pregnant makes some people think 'oh well, you can't drink anyway, so can you drive'?

MissSlackPants84 I would put your foot down on being a taxi for your 30th birthday. I think that's a bit extra cheeky of your friends to be honest. They should be spoiling you on your birthday, not using you as a free taxi service. xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now