Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

scared, 5mm nuchal fold result please help

(3 Posts)
saralou212 Tue 18-Mar-14 08:37:40

Hi this is my first time posting but I really needed to talk to other people who maybe are or have been in the same situation as me.
We went for what I thought was my 12 week scan, as with all first time parents it was so exciting to see our baby on the screen. Until the sonographer went very quiet. She found I was only just gone ten weeks but the baby had a 5mm nuchal fold.
She has scared the hell out me, we were told by her it was very bad and there was a big problem with our baby, we were ushered into a quiet room and left there for half an hour.
eventually we were asked to come back for a second scan which is this friday.
to
To say im scared is an understatement.
Please has anyone been through anything similar?

Tomkat79 Tue 18-Mar-14 08:56:55

Well first of all your sonographer is bang out of order saying those things. Unless she has a crystal ball she cannot say for sure whether things are 'very bad' or not. A measurement of 5mm at the back of the baby's head can indicate an increase risk of a chromosomal abnormality but if you look through posts on here it doesn't always mean bad news.
Did they take some blood from you also? The combined results will give you a risk factor and if you are high risk they will offer you further tests.
Sorry you are going thru this, can appreciate how scared you must be x

Plateofcrumbs Tue 18-Mar-14 09:24:27

What terrible bedside manner from the sonographer!

A large nuchal fold measurement doesn't mean there is a problem, but it means there's a higher chance of chromosomal abnormalities, including Downs Syndrome. 10 weeks is quite early to be checking this, I think it is normally done between 11 and 13 weeks, which is perhaps why they have asked you to come back for a second scan. As mentioned above blood results will normally be taken to give a combined risk factor.

The second scan will not give you a definitive answer as to whether your baby has any chromosomal abnormalities - to know for sure you'll need either invasive testing (either a CVS or amniocentesis - both of which carry a small risk of miscarriage) or you can pay privately for a Harmony test which is a blood test which will give you similar results but without the miscarriage risk. Or you may decide you simply prefer not to know and accept whatever happens, when it happens.

Big hugs and lots of strength - I know it's a horrible thing to be going through.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now