Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Hugely bloated and painful stomach

(8 Posts)
Rosebud29 Mon 17-Mar-14 20:51:26

Hi.
I'm 19+2. Whenever I eat my stomach balloons and is really painful. It feels like my stomach is sitting just below my ribs. Right now it feels like I'm going to burst. I even worry my poor little Alien is being squashed because of my enormous stomach!
I was very prone to severe bloatedness before I was pregnant and it seems so much worse now. I'm almost sure I've got an intollerance for some type of food, or even mild IBS.
I'm guessing this is all par for the course. Should Gaviscon be my new friend?

Inbl00m Mon 17-Mar-14 20:56:44

I'm having the same thing. Scary how fast it happens isnt't it. Only 13+5 but look 6 months after eating. Fraid I can't offer any advice but hoping somebody else can! smile

Suzietwo Mon 17-Mar-14 21:12:48

Prune juice. I've got awful wind/constipation and the only thing which helps is a good swig of prune juice morning and night.

It has been the most painful part of this pregnancy and makes you so grumpy!

Boogles91 Mon 17-Mar-14 22:33:41

Ive had chronic ibs for years and no your pain lol ive found that eating little and often works smile although its hard not to over eat as i was sick the other day as i scoffed my sunday roast and forgot, it couldnt go down so ended coming back up :/ also try chewing your food right down, and eating slowly smile your food goes cold after a while, but its worth not feeling like your gonna explode! Also try going for a long walk, i did that today, and it helped it shift smile xx

HeavenK76 Tue 18-Mar-14 18:01:16

I'm nearly 21 weeks and have suffered bloating since start of pg. I admit it's awful. I also get out of breath when I'm bloated which makes me dizzy. Rennie helps a but, Gaviscon didn't do much for me. Having bad spd doesn't allow me to walk but it's something I would do if I could.
Peppermint tea gives a bit of relief too.
I'm scared to be honest for growing bump coz ribs are already painful. sad

Rosebud29 Wed 19-Mar-14 11:33:25

Thanks everyone. Will definitely give the prune juice and Rennies and peppermint tea a try.

The eating little and often is difficult as I work full time and have to eat at my given dinner times but I'll try snacking on my short breaks instead. I'm actually finding it hard to eat enough through the day with being on late shifts, I have breakfast around 10am then I tend to skip lunch entirely as I'm commuting at that time, then don't eat till 4pm or 5pm or even 6pm depending on my shift, by which time I'm starving. My first short break is usually only an hour before my dinner break so if I have a snack then I don't feel like a proper meal on my dinner break and therefore end up not eating enough altogether, or eating a full meal when I get home at 10pm or 11pm. It's all a bit of a mess really.

I'm scared of my bump growing too Heaven, it just hurts so much after a meal! I guess I'm prone to the same bloatedness as I got before pregnancy but seems so much worse now as my tummy hasn't got as much room to expand.

Boogles91 Wed 19-Mar-14 13:35:26

Could be also you need to cut your hours? When i worked, my job was very physically demanding and i was on my feet between 10-16hrs a day, so ihad to have my hours cut by half with my first(unfortunatly had mc) so it could be that your baby is telling you to eat at the right times or something :/ your bosses should understand if you need to keep up on energy. Mine didnt so i just dint give a shit and told them straight if they moaned about me eating on shop floor lol or id sneak something snacky to the many toilet trips i did smile you should say your have gestational diabetes, they cant do anyhing then as you HAVE to eat. A little white lie wont hurt smile theres more than one way of gettin around things hahar smile ive been having pure orange juice but it takes a couple of days for it to get through me but it helps soften when i go. I hate the bloated feeling with the heartburn, babys squashing my kidney at mo n its blocked so when my food dunt go down it hurts even more! Hope you find some relief soon, if all else fails try a little milk of magnesia found that helps aswel sometimes. Yesterday i hardly had anything to eat, and it didnt shift until i went bed! I was starving all night i didnt want to cook anything as i dint wanna wake up hubby, he gets very grumpy if i do, although he dunt remember it xx

Rosebud29 Thu 20-Mar-14 17:37:07

Thanks Boogles.
Reducing my hours sounds nice but with me taking a full year mat leave (so only on statutory mat pay for the second 6 months) we need to save every penny we can right now, can't afford a drop in hours sadly. I have a very sedentary job (I sit and type to deaf people all day essentially).
What I'm gonna do, I'll ask my boss whether they can stop giving me my din break just an hour after my first break so I can have a little snack on my first break. And I'll make sure I take something to eat when I arrive at work after my commute. The late shifts are the problem, I'm a night owl and hate early shifts with a passion so always swap them, but will bite the bullet and do earlies, sigh.
I'll try all the things that'll get things moving too. Determined to beat it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now