Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Unsure about whether to buy a new mattress, any advice?

(15 Posts)
KiwiBanana Mon 17-Mar-14 09:08:48

We still have the cot mattress we used for DS, it's still in good condition but have read things about it increasing the risk of SIDS. Does anyone know how much of a risk it is?

Money is tight but I obviously don't want to put my baby at risk!

Sweetpea86 Mon 17-Mar-14 09:10:45

I'm not sure of risks but would get a new one, I got one from ikea and it was a good price.

Every time I've seen this question on mn all people have advised to get a new one smile x

Sanch1 Mon 17-Mar-14 09:20:22

Get a new one. I wouldn't take any risk no matter how small.

Casmama Mon 17-Mar-14 09:31:21

Not sure anyone could give you a definitive risk and even if they could that wouldn't remove the worry that your baby could be the 1. I would buy a new one.

KatAndKit Mon 17-Mar-14 09:37:12

I would say it depends how old your son is and how the mattress has been stored (up in the loft for 3 years would be a no for me). The main risk is getting a second hand mattress from a new house. In my case I will not be buying new as DS will vacate the cot and DD will go straight into it.

KatAndKit Mon 17-Mar-14 09:38:05

From a different household was what I meant to say.

I reused mine, but there was only 18 months between my DDs so it hadn't been in the loft or anything. If you are a low risk for SIDS anyway then I would just reuse it. By low risk I mean non-smoker, full term baby etc.

KiwiBanana Mon 17-Mar-14 14:10:13

Eek I just don't know! Would be interesting to actually see the research but I can't seem to find a link to it.

DS is 4 now and used it for 2.5 years, has just been sat in the spare room since then.

TheOnlySeven Mon 17-Mar-14 16:01:06

I'd buy a new one. You can buy a basic foam one from Mothercare for around £30.

nc060 Mon 17-Mar-14 16:30:19

Kiwibanana... I kind of totally agree with you, I cant really see that a mattress that has been used could cause SIDS and I saw the stats on here recently, cant remember where they had came from and they were TINY. HOWEVER, if, god forbid, the worst did happen I would always be questioning whether it was because I didn't spend that extra £40/£50 on a new mattress.

KiwiBanana Mon 17-Mar-14 16:43:16

I think I will just find the money and get one. Even if it's a small risk it's still better not to take that chance.

If anyone does have a link to the research though then the geeky side of me would love to see it!

Kellyjdancer Mon 17-Mar-14 16:45:59

The NHS has said if a waterproof cover was used on the mattress, it is safe to reuse. They recommend this between siblings and not taking a stranger's word for it.

there is a very small increased risk but especially if the mattress was used by another family rather than a sibling - less risk when used in the same family.

I reused dd's mattress for ds as it had a removable washable cover and the mattress itself was fully waterproof and could be washed down.

The Lullabytrust (used to be sids.org) says this:

We have been given a cot and mattress second-hand. Is it safe to use with our new baby?

Generally we would advise it is safest to have a new mattress for each baby, though we know this is not always possible. There is some evidence to suggest that bringing in a mattress from another home might increase the risk of sudden infant death very slightly.

When using your own mattress for a second (or more) time, ensure it is still firm and flat with no tears or holes, and is not sagging in places. Thoroughly clean the waterproof layer and ensure the mattress is clean and dry before making it up with fresh bed clothes

TheOnlySeven Mon 17-Mar-14 18:17:16

The risk is to do with mould spores inside the mattress that you can't see, I don't know how big the risk is though or if they'd get inside a completely waterproof one in the first place

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now