Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Weight gain

(19 Posts)
Teddybear33 Sun 16-Mar-14 20:05:27

Hi

How much weight would be 'normal' to gain in first 14-16 weeks? My mum keeps saying it all goes on at the end and am just wondering as have gained c. 4-5lbs already....is this abnormal/too much?

Thanks

Casmama Sun 16-Mar-14 20:09:18

Check this out. Yes most weight gain is often at the end but really normal to put on some all the way through- I'm sure you are absolutely fine.

Teddybear33 Mon 17-Mar-14 08:39:28

Thanks Casmama. I guess I am a couple of lbs ahead then where I should be based on this.

PenguinsEatSpinach Mon 17-Mar-14 08:42:32

There is no 'should be'. Women follow different patterns according to their bodies. Personally I tend to pile it on in the first trimester, gain little if anything in the second and some in the third.

It is very outdated (barring other weight problems or health concerns) to focus on weight gain on a week by week basis. The NHS don't even weigh you now except at booking and possibly at 36 weeks-ish. The key thing is, if nausea etc allow, to try and eat and snack healthy and keep active. If you manage those two, let the weight do what your body wants.

Casmama Mon 17-Mar-14 09:41:18

That link obviously didn't do what I expected it to do. I was hoping what you would see from it was that there is a range of weight gain so not everyone is the same.

I agree with everything penguins says and I would try not to worry about your weight. If your mum is making comments without you raising the issue of weight then I would tell her you don't want to discuss it with her.

RaRa1988 Mon 17-Mar-14 13:06:27

I asked the midwife at 20 weeks what would be 'normal' weight gain, and she said around 9-12 pounds, but that she wouldn't even think of worrying unless I'd put on two stone! ....so I reckon by that logic you're absolutely fine smile.

Kri5ty Mon 17-Mar-14 13:31:44

I really wouldn't worry.

I think it depends on your body before pregnancy.
With my 1st i put a stone on by that point! 3 stone in total pregnancy.

i was 8.5 stone prior to pregnancy 5ft 4. It all went on my thighs and back, as though my body needed it to carry. Baby was 61b11

This time I've only just weighed myself now at 31 weeks and I've worked out i will put on around 3 stone again by the time he is due.

i tend to put loads on at the begining, slow during middle, then balloon the.last 8 weeks xx

Teddybear33 Tue 18-Mar-14 09:17:53

Thanks ladies. Casmama it was a good benchmark and can definitely see how it can vary I guess was a bit disappointed to be ahead of the top range for 15 weeks. That said I did have serious nausea for about 18 hours a day and only carbs helped! Having gone from pretty much a zero carb diet to this, no surprise I've put a fair bit on already. That coupled with having no idea what gym workouts are ok and which aren't.... It's just I'm not very large but I'm not small either and conscious of how hard it is for me to lose weight so trying really hard to be healthy for baby but at the same time be careful not to overdo it. Thanks Casmama, RaRa, Penguins and Kir5sty good advice. Just wish my mum didn't feel the need to raise it every time I see her.

PenguinsEatSpinach Tue 18-Mar-14 09:45:24

If your mum is getting you down then tell her to lay off the comments. Sorry she is making you feel like this.

If that is likely to be difficult, how about a little white lie? Just say that you have spoken to your midwife and she says that, because you had to change your diet a lot for nausea early on the weight gain is totally normal and will level off, but you've been told very strongly not to police what you eat as it's important to listen to your body and what it needs. It's amazing how mothers (or others!) who are sure that they are right can sometimes be silenced by being 'overruled' by someone medical wink

vichill Tue 18-Mar-14 09:56:30

older women were told a stone was ample in days gone by. I put on 3.5 stone and it was all gone after 6 months I'm now 7 lbs under pre pregnancy weight. breastfeeding helped me lose, especially after 4 months.

I know it's easier said than done but don't worry. I used to weigh myself daily and obsess too.

Teddybear33 Thu 20-Mar-14 17:48:42

Thanks Penguins and Vic. I'm sure my mum means no harm and I'm probably being a bit sensitive. Just want to what's right by baby xx

PenguinsEatSpinach Thu 20-Mar-14 18:08:15

I am sure she doesn't. But that is where a tactful white lie can help you both.wink

Teddybear33 Thu 20-Mar-14 19:55:11

Too true penguins!

babybear2468 Fri 21-Mar-14 11:26:45

I have put on 1.5 stone already and am 30 weeks. I heard that 1lb per week in the last trimester is normal, so im looking at a total of 31 lbs / 2st 3lbs. I am hoping we have a great summer and the opportunity for regular walks, bbqs and if breastfeeding goes well it should drop off in no time. My mother is very similar to yours from the sounds of things, obsessed with weight, so she was shocked when she found that midwives dont regularly check it any longer grin

babybear2468 Fri 21-Mar-14 11:28:34

p.s. Think I put on 5-6 lbs by 14 wks.

moomin35 Fri 21-Mar-14 18:14:08

Sorry PenguinsEatSpinach I have to disagree - I've been weighed at every single appointment so far (I'm 30 weeks)...

moomin35 Fri 21-Mar-14 18:17:37

If it makes you feel better babybear I've put on 2 stone already and I'm 30 weeks too! To me it looks like its all on my bump but maybe I'm in denial!!!

PenguinsEatSpinach Fri 21-Mar-14 19:06:55

That's really unusual Moomin and not standard English protocol AFAIK. Unless there are concerns with your weight anyway or other complications? I should have said in my previous comment that the normal approach doesn't necessarily apply then.

mlbear Fri 21-Mar-14 20:56:50

I never weigh myself & only judge my body by how my clothes fit so have no idea what my pre pregnant weight was.
I was weighed at my first MW appointment can't find it in my notes tho, I'm 37 wk now, not been weighed since.
MW said she would weigh me at 36, but didn't.
Everyone has an opinion about how big/small you are, it's the first thing ppl say to me, before hello!
If MW is concerned they'll tell you, that's the only person you need to take note of, as long as you're measuring ok, then I wouldn't worry smile
& I tell ppl, my MW isn't concerned so don't you be.
(One week I measured small a cm, but that week everyone said I was massive!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now