Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Has anyone bought a non-maternity maxi dress that can be worn over a bump?

(21 Posts)
HerGraciousMajTheBeardedPotato Wed 19-Mar-14 08:31:53

If you can find an unstructured dress that has been cut on the bias, it will accommodate your bump even better than a jersey dress.

Spaghettinetti Wed 19-Mar-14 08:26:45

Hello! I'm 5ft10, normally a size 14/16, depending on the shop and 33 weeks pregnant. I've just tried on a load of maxi dresses in monsoon and was spoilt for choice. I came away with a navy blue Angelina Jolie Style maxi dress in a size 18. I'm not sure that it's suitable as a bridesmaid dress (I guess it would depend on the wedding), but it's lovely and comfortable and very flattering. Good Luck!

GiveMeVegemite Tue 18-Mar-14 14:43:16

Phase eight have lots of gorgeous stretchy maxi dresses that aren't maternity ones.

JellyCurls Tue 18-Mar-14 06:31:12

Mine was floaty but we were in middle of a heat wave and on holiday in Spain so is couldn't have coped with anything structured or fitted. I put a belt round it to draw it in a bit round my bump

babygro Mon 17-Mar-14 21:24:08

Thanks again everyone. Those of you that are tall and bought normal dresses in bigger sizes, we're they jersey material or more structured?

littleducks Mon 17-Mar-14 20:54:57

I wore normal maxi dresses from gap at the end of my pregnancy last summer as it was so hot, just sized up. the one I got from monsoon shrunk lengthwise which after washing and looked awful (I too am tall)

jentree Mon 17-Mar-14 07:02:06

I wore one from peacocks throughout my last pregnancy. im normaly a size 10/12 so just bought a size 14/16. it was a bit at first but it was nice as the dreaded boob ache lasted quiet a few months. in 5'11 too and its down to my ankles :-)

JellyCurls Mon 17-Mar-14 06:42:44

I wore Sainsburys maxi dress at 8 months pregnant, just bought the size up. Am 5'11" and it was long enough even over my massive bump

babygro Sun 16-Mar-14 21:31:24

Thank you so much for all of the suggestions. I have been looking into them all and they are great.
Really appreciate everyones help, I was beginning to think that I would have little choice but to look pretty rubbish, but you've reinspired me.

Shroomboom Sun 16-Mar-14 20:33:48

PS mine was from Monsoon, and was plenty long enough - I am 5"8...

CurlsLDN Sun 16-Mar-14 20:23:35

Have a look at 'two birds' - they are dresses made of high quality luxe jersey, that can be wrapped all sorts of different ways to adapt to different figures. They're quite pricey, but you can find similair on etsy. A friend of mine had them as bridesmaid dresses and they looked lovely, very glam!

Shroomboom Sun 16-Mar-14 20:20:40

I wore a normal maxi dress to a wedding at almost 8 months pregnant. It's a dress with a satiny underlayer and chiffon on the top, and I got a seamstress to put an extra panel into the underlayer. I was thrilled with how it worked out, and the bonus is that if/when I want to wear it again I can just remove the panel.
Can you look for dresses like that, so that yours could be altered to fit you?

Kasey12 Sun 16-Mar-14 19:15:14

I got a nice maxi dress at tk maxx for a Christmas party. It was an empire cut, stretchy material. I wore it at 6 and a half months pregnant. It didn't cost the earth either. It did take a bit of trying lots of different dresses to find the right one, but it was worth it in the end, as it was such a pretty dress.

Kels13 Sun 16-Mar-14 17:17:33

I had an 8 month pregnant bridesmaid at my wedding last year and found a gorgeous maxi dress on a website called misguided. It was really floaty and light so she was really comfy and looked lovely. Was also really long on her and she's quite tall so we got it altered but could be good for you.

ToriaPumpkin Sun 16-Mar-14 15:28:39

I got a gorgeous one from Monsoon when I had a wedding last time, it was empire line which made the fit easier but I would definitely recommend getting a bigger size and having it taken in if need be as boobs/ribs can change dramatically!

Heatherbell1978 Sun 16-Mar-14 10:35:18

I'm a bridesmaid in 2 months time when I'll be 6 months pregnant. I'm normally a size 8/10 but we just ordered me a 14 in the dress she wants us all to wear. One of the girls is a 14 normally so I tried that on with a 'bump' under it and it seemed ok.....I'll be getting it altered a few weeks before the wedding so I'm hoping I'm not huge by then!! x

Kellyjdancer Sat 15-Mar-14 20:57:15

I have two Rachel Pally maxi dresses that fit great and I'm 37 weeks pregnant. They are not maternity dresses but just are cut great and have lots of fabric. Her designs could work well for bridesmaids.

Kt1991 Sat 15-Mar-14 19:28:53

My best friend was 7months pregnant at my wedding last year, but I ordered her a larger size which was fine smile it was very similar to a maxi dress and she said it felt very comfortable too smile

Roseandmabelshouse Sat 15-Mar-14 19:27:01

Just get a bigger size and have altered as the above poster mentioned. You can't tell how much your boobs will grow or your ribs will expand, so it's much easier to take a dress in. Plus you will need extra length as you have already discovered.

tertle Sat 15-Mar-14 19:24:08

Maybe you could get your dress in a bigger size and have it altered to fit properly by a dressmaker nearer to the wedding? That way, it should have enough material to fit over your bump...?

babygro Sat 15-Mar-14 18:59:09

I'm bridesmaid at a friends wedding and I've just told her that I am going to be 7 months pregnant! Thankfully she is very understanding.
She is keen that her other bridesmaid and I wear matching maxi dresses. Her other bridesmaid will definitely not be pregnant!
The bride is not worried about what colour we chose, we just all need to like the dress.
To further confound things, I am 5 foot 10, so a lot of the maxi dresses ride up too high when I insert a 'fake bump' can anybody help, I'm desperate!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now