Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Was at doctors office today and Dr. Tried to listen for heartbeat

(16 Posts)
hartmel Fri 14-Mar-14 22:34:44

Going based on my last menstrual period I'm 8+1 weeks today.
I went to see my doctor today and she started to check my abdominal to see how high the womb is already. Without saying anything she crabbed the heartbeat thing (sorry don't know what it is called) and started to look for the heartbeat. After 3 min not finding it she said she will send me for an early scan as the womb is measuring further along as 8 weeks. She didn't say it but I had somehow the feeling that she wants to check if I might be pregnant with twins because my bump is already noticeable..

Kind of anxious to know If I'm further along and if baby is ok.

Crossing finger that it won't be twins. Nothing against it but than I would have 3 children under 2 years. My boy is 6 month old now. When this is born he will be 12/13 month old..

mousmous Fri 14-Mar-14 22:39:51

try not to worry (I know, impossible) but it is very hard ti find a heartbeat that early. many midwifes even only try to listen much much later in, a it i so unreliable (very is just so very small and there ar lots of other noises around.

good luck with the scan!

2kidsintow Fri 14-Mar-14 22:40:06

I think the dr was wasting their time trying to find the heartbeat. Midwives don't bother trying til about 14 weeks (if I remember, it was a while ago!)

The scan will show what you need to find.

mousmous Fri 14-Mar-14 22:41:08

wrt bump, with babies so clos together, I wouldn't be surprised about an early bump.

elfycat Fri 14-Mar-14 22:44:22

I had a doctor struggle to find a heartbeat when I was 36 weeks pregnant. I pointed out 'bump' had to have one as she was kicking me in the liver. It's all about positioning.

I've never heard of anyone listening for a heartbeat at 8 weeks. I think it would take an ultrasound to find that so I wouldn't worry if otherwise you feel OK. But take the scan date anyway. Early pictures!

kaymondo Fri 14-Mar-14 22:49:38

Agree with other posters that pointless listening for hb at 8 weeks. I was in maternity jeans at 8 weeks with ds2 - ds1 was 18 months when I got pregnant again and bump just popped out straight away so don't worry too much about twins at this stage!

JabberJabberJay Fri 14-Mar-14 22:56:46

Your doctor was silly to try to find a heartbeat at 8 weeks. All but impossible. Most experienced midwives will not even attempt it before 14 weeks.

If this is your second baby, it's not surprising you already have a bit of a bump. Muscles etc are not as tight.

I hope your scan is reassuring but I don't think you have anything to worry about.

hartmel Fri 14-Mar-14 23:05:25

Thanks everyone. When she was trying to find the heartbeat I just thought "good luck finding it, it is way to early" with my first they found it at 12 weeks but after 2 min searching. As my boy was so busy moving around..

I'm happy for the early scan now as she didn't want to at the beginning.

JustDanni Sat 15-Mar-14 04:39:03

Your doc sounds rather unprofessional, causing worry like that.
It is very hard to find a heartbeat at 8 weeks.. Baby is virtually a kidney bean with stumps at this stage.

CbeebiesIsMyLife Sat 15-Mar-14 05:53:34

I fell pregnant when dd1 was 5/6 months, my body instantly went 'ah ha! I know what to do!' and I looked 9 months gone by 12 weeks. The only advantage was that once I was that size the bump didnt get much bigger, baby just filled up the space.

My EPAU wont even scan you for an early scan till 8+ weeks as then there will definitely be a heartbeat and they dont want to panic people for no reason.

Dr was stupid to attempt a doppler at 8 weeks, most midwives will wait till 16 before trying to listen in and even then give a warning first.

Good luck with your scan

It sounds like she was trying to listen for a heartbeat because she thought you were further along than 8 weeks, hence wanting to send you for a dating scan.

I know it's easy to say but try not to worry, you may just find you skipped the first trimester!

Seff Sat 15-Mar-14 07:59:16

With my DD, I didn't find out I was pregnant until 12/13 weeks. When I went for my booking appt, there was a student MW present who asked the MW if she could try and find the heartbeat. MW said she could, but went to great lengths to let me know that it was very likely they wouldn't find it and that not finding it didn't mean anything was wrong, it was just very early. Neither of them found it, but she was in there somewhere!

I'm pregnant with DC2 now, and I'm another one who "popped" almost immediately once pregnant. And that was 3 years after having DD!

MummytoMog Sat 15-Mar-14 09:24:27

I popped out the minute I found out I was pregnant with this one. And the last one (nine months after the first one). Doctor probably just thought you had your dates wrong, I doubt they thought they would find an eight week hr.

BEEwitched Sat 15-Mar-14 12:54:02

In my area they usually don't listen for the heartbeat before 20 weeks and don't worry if they can't find it before that - for some reason they did it from 14 weeks on with me and always found it, but I never really expected them to as it was so early and I'm overweight!

duvetfan Sat 15-Mar-14 21:41:53

My midwife didn't even try until after my 20 week scan. They usually try at 16 but she thought I was too worried about the pregnancy (previous miscarriage) and that it would be detrimental to my emotional well being if she couldn't find it. She said even at 16 weeks it can be hard to find. I was gutten but with hindsight she was right. Sorry I'm rambling, my point is, like others have said, 8 weeks is far too early ime.

Twoplusboys Sun 16-Mar-14 04:08:27

I think the reason she was checking is because she thought OP was further along then 8 weeks as fundus was measuring so. I know you show earlier on 2nd + pregnancies but that is more your muscle tone, your fundus should still measure in accordance with your dates. Although GPs can be wrong.did she say how long you will wait for scan?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now