Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Stick-on blackout blinds. Any good?

(18 Posts)
weebigmamma Fri 14-Mar-14 15:34:29

Like these ones:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Gro-Company-New-Version/dp/B00BKZLWBU/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Seem expensive but possibly worth it? And could take them anywhere which seems like a bonus.

turkeyboots Fri 14-Mar-14 15:36:45

I found them worse than useless as they kept falling off and scaring DD! But others must find them good as I sold mine of eBay for more than I paid.

weebigmamma Fri 14-Mar-14 15:37:58

Were they the same make as the ones above? ('Gro Anywhere' blinds)? Thanks x

LexieSinclair Fri 14-Mar-14 15:38:59

I think they're fab, and have found they don't fall off if you wet the suction cups before you stick them on.

MrsReacher85 Fri 14-Mar-14 15:39:20

I've got one and think its great. It's never fallen off when I use water to stick the things on. I wouldn't use it on a day to day basis as it's a pain to take on and off. We have a roller blackout blind and use this for when we're away/staying with friends etc.

Cotherstone Fri 14-Mar-14 15:40:32

My parents have one of these for when DD stays and haven't complained at all, the exact make you've linked too.

I was about to say they're not as good as a normal fitted blackout blind - but thinking about it, our blackout blinds sometimes need to be bluetak-ed down on a bright afternoon as light creeps in the edges, whereas the travel one at my parents is massive and so they can completely cover the window with it...

hedgehogy Fri 14-Mar-14 15:47:47

We used the Gro one when DD was in our room (she has blackout curtains in her room) and it was great. We didn't have any issue with it falling off.

If you are desperate and absolutely need every bit of light blotted out then damp the glass with a cloth and apply silver foil to the glass. The foil sticks and works as black out. Not great for every day, but pretty good when you need sleep NOW and all of a sudden its ridiculously sunny!

weebigmamma Fri 14-Mar-14 17:01:59

Brilliant, thanks! There are blackout roller blinds in 2 of our rooms but then our Ikea stopped stocking them- boo! Thanks for the tin foil tip! Last baby I resorted to sellotaping cardboard to the windows but it wasn't very successful. If only there had been Mumsnet then, lol!

We are sad because our Gro stick on had finally died a death after 5 years of use at home and we travel alot and it has traveled around the world with us - I have just ordered a new one.

ithoughtofitfirst Fri 14-Mar-14 17:14:45

I used one while we had some curtains with blackout lining made (by my mum).

I found it amazing, espesh cause we moved in to a flat where the bedrooms are facing east. I got a bit sick of waking up at 5.30... stuck one of these bad boys up and he slept til 9am. Result.

theborrower Fri 14-Mar-14 20:28:54

Yes, they are great! We have blackout blinds and curtains in our (south facing) bedrooms and light still creeps in. We finally got a gro blind last year for our daughter's room and I wish we had gotten it earlier! We only need to use it for part of the year, but it really does make the room brilliantly dark. As someone else said, just moisten the suction cups slightly and it doesn't fall off.

rightsaidfred Fri 14-Mar-14 20:57:39

I have 2- one for the kids room when we go away and one for me! Don't have a problem with them falling down if we wet the cups first. We got ours secondhand- about £10 each

TKKW Fri 14-Mar-14 22:02:38

I bought one with DC1, even when I did wet the suction cups, fell off in a couple of places but not a waste of money.

I dont use it at all now, windows are sometimes mouldy/condensation-y so dont like the thought of carry the blind round knowing its been stuck onto a less than fresh window... or maybe im over thinking!?

Peacenquiet2 Fri 14-Mar-14 23:56:18

I bought a meter piece of blackout material from dunhelm mill and a length of sticky velro from craft shop both costing 8 pound together,and they are best thing ive ever used. Tried several expensive blackout blinds previously and none ever do what they say but i cant fault my method. Honest give it a try.

weebigmamma Sun 16-Mar-14 05:22:34

peacenquiet: what did you do with the velcro exactly? i mean, what did you stick the blind to- just the window frame? (sorry, I'm crap with crafty stuff!) Thanks x

We bought them for a summer in Sweden when DD1 was 20 months and I was expecting DD2. It was light soooo early and we all needed our sleep. Worked brilliantly!

leelteloo Sun 16-Mar-14 06:47:55

I have two. I think they are brilliant. I lick the cups before I stick them on window. I have one permanently on ds window & keep the other one for going away.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now