Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Any advice re bleeding at nearly 12 weeks?

(11 Posts)
Tigerstar123 Thu 13-Mar-14 20:40:16

Hi ladies.

I'll be 12 weeks on Sat, all appearing to be fine. Had midwife appt etc this week and booked for scan next week. However, I came home from work tonight, went for a wee and had blood when I wiped. Just a pinky colour but everytime I wiped was enough for me to panic. I rang maternity at local hospital- midwife said I could ring them anytime. They said they can't refer me to early preg unit, and I have to 'wait and see'. Husband thinks this is a good sign that they didn't say 'come in immediately'. Yet I'm worried. She did say if it get worse or i have acute pains go to A and E. If not, book appt with Drs in morning.

So, what would you do? This is my first pregnancy so I am worried about everything. Anyone had this but all been ok? Think I just need some reassurance. I do have little pains, but think this is down to stressing.

Thanks in advance. Xxx

outtheothersidefinally Thu 13-Mar-14 20:45:54

I bled around the time my period would have been due for the first 4 months. There are lots of places potentially for the blood to come from and not be related to mc. Very very common.

I know you'll still worry! Go in if it will set your mind at rest, maybe after trying to get a good night's sleep. Take care!

Tigerstar123 Thu 13-Mar-14 20:55:49

Thanks for the reply.

Crikey, that would have freaked me out! I never even had any implantation bleeding, so find it very odd I'm bleeding now, so instinctively I think it could be a mc.

I think I'm going to take your advice and try and get a good night's sleep. The bleeding might calm down on it's own hopefully...

Xxx

StarsInTheNightSky Thu 13-Mar-14 21:12:07

I had bleeding at 14 weeks, ironically the day after our scan hmm.

I phoned our hospital in a panic at 6am and got told the same thing (and was told that we only had a scan the day before so what was I worried about hmm), so I waited until the EPU opened and phoned them directly. I demanded that they see me and wouldn't take no for an answer and wouldn't be fobbed off. I said I'd come and sit in their waiting room and refuse to leave until I was seen if I had to. After about ten minutes of arguing with them they (albeit begrudgingly) agreed to scan me that day.

When DH and I got to the EPU, the matron who I'd spoken to on the phone said that they'd only agreed as she realised I was not going to back down. I hate being pushy, but sometimes you have to.

Everything was absolutely fine and it was just unexplained bleeding. It was scary as hell but I'm now 28+4 and our little chap is currently booting the heck out of me.

If I were you I'd phone your EPU directly first thing tomorrow (their number should be on your hospitals website) and insist on being seen. The chances are that everything is absolutely fine, and pains are very normal at around 12 weeks, but it's nice to get checked out for peace of mind.

Hope that helps and hope you're ok xx.

StarsInTheNightSky Thu 13-Mar-14 21:14:29

I should have also said that our consultant said that the vast majority of the time bleeding in pregnancy, particularly by the time you get to twelve weeks is just one of those terrifying but harmless things.

Tigerstar123 Thu 13-Mar-14 21:58:05

Thanks for the reassurance Starsinthenightsky. I've tried to quell any excitement until after the scan, so it just feels panicky to think I could be mc just a week before scan date.
I'm sometimes not pushy enough- esp when faced with those who are 'meant to know best'. If things don't improve I will be ringing back.

Glad that you were ok. Hope the little fella not booting you too hard!

I just sometimes wonder if the 'people who know best' sometimes don't know, hence why they say it's unexplained bleeding- they just don't know!

Xxx

StarsInTheNightSky Thu 13-Mar-14 22:16:03

Tigerstar you're welcome, glad I could help. I know the panicky feeling, it's really,truly horrible sad.

It is difficult as you trust these people to look after you, and I know NHS services are stretched, but I think that being able to get reassurance is really important. As you say, sometimes they just don't know, and in my experience until you can get seen by the maternity assesment unit (in my hospital care switches from EPU to MAU at 16 weeks) it can be difficult to get them to see you.

If you don't feel comfortable getting pushy, one of my friends had the same thing when she was 13 weeks, and she phoned the EPU directly and said that her midwife had referred her but had asked her to call them directly and make the appointment rather than the midwife calling. It was a lie, but it got her seen. I would never normally agree with lying, but I know how desperate I felt when I started bleeding, so I can understand 100% why she did it.

Thank you, it often feels like he's wrestling an anaconda in there, but after three hospital stays for reduced movements, numerous scares of him arriving prematurely and other complications, however much it can hurt when he kicks (particularly when he aims it right) it's just a relief to feel him moving.

I really hope you're ok, and I hope the bleeding goes away quickly, hang in there. If it makes you feel any better, I didn't bleed at all the times I miscarried after 8 weeks, and the times I miscarried I just knew something was wrong, I had a gut feeling about it. The fact that you say all appears to be fine sounds like a very positive sign to me xx.

Tigerstar123 Fri 14-Mar-14 16:38:07

Ladies, thanks again for the responses.

Just an update. I was sent to the EPU today, but not good news. I have had a delayed mc.

Good luck to you in the future with your ickle ones. Xxx

Gingerandcocoa Fri 14-Mar-14 16:44:03

I'm so sorry for your loss sad

Tigerstar123 Fri 14-Mar-14 17:08:51

Thank you gingerandcocoa.

outtheothersidefinally Mon 17-Mar-14 20:49:52

So sorry to hear that. Mind yourself well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now