Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Omeprazole vs Ranitidine for heartburn/acid reflux - side effects?

(18 Posts)
Para28 Tue 11-Mar-14 14:53:15

Hi,

I'm ~17 weeks and have been getting really bad reflux/heartburn that has burned my throat raw. I tried some natural remedies for a while, which have helped e.g eating yoghurt, drinking milk, sleeping propped up, but I still feel that the reflux is getting in the way of being able to drink and eat properly. I was put on omeprazole for a week, but it made me feel sick to the stomach, so I'm now wondering about asking the doctor to prescribe ranitidine. What are your experiences of using either of these; did they work and were there any side effects? I trust that these are both safe in pregnancy.

Thanks

Ferreroroche123 Tue 11-Mar-14 15:56:55

I have used both pre-pregnancy. Ranitidine was my favourite as I got way more digestive issues on Omeprazole.

But when got pregnant last time my doctor thought Oneprazole was safer.

This time the doctor (different) thought Ranitidine was safer.

I have managed not to take either yet, but if I had to choose I would take ranitidine.

LJBanana Tue 11-Mar-14 16:00:12

I have been taking ranitidine daily for a good 10 weeks. I was reassured by the doctor, midwife that it was safe to take. It has made a huge difference. I was throwing up all the time and have beenuch more comfortable.

LJBanana Tue 11-Mar-14 16:00:28

*been much

aroha77 Tue 11-Mar-14 16:11:19

I've been taking both for weeks without any side effects. If you look up the NICE evidence website you can read all about the research into their safety in pregnancy.

MyNameIsWinkly Tue 11-Mar-14 16:14:02

My midwife and the NHS website both say ranitidine is fine. I've been taking it as needed for a few weeks now, and haven't noticed any side effects. I didn't get a prescription, just bought the tesco own stuff.

Para28 Tue 11-Mar-14 16:47:53

Thanks all. I've just picked up a prescription for zantac (ranitidine). The curious thing is the dose is 300mg, which seems quite high compared with the OTC dose of ~75. Wondering whether to take half (150mg) to start off with!

Me23 Tue 11-Mar-14 16:55:56

I lived on ranitidine during my last pregnancy and have started to need it again now im 9 weeks no side effects and its safe to take. I know the usual pregnsncy dose is 300mg a day but I stick to 150 once a day.

CrispyFB Tue 11-Mar-14 17:51:08

I felt really sick after taking the omeprazole until I started taking it on an empty stomach and not eating for an hour or so afterwards. Never had any side effects aside from constipation (counteracted by 15ml lactulose daily) after that. I was on it from 7 weeks until delivery - my heartburn disappeared with the ELCS.

vj32 Tue 11-Mar-14 19:17:00

I took Ranitidine last pregnancy, was prescribed it in hospital after very bad indigestion that caused chest pains and my oesophagus to spasm. Actually much scarier and more painful than labour. (and labour didn't go well either...)

This time Ranitidine just didn't do it, I was taking it and still needing way over recommended dose of Gaviscon (yuk) so tried Omeprazole and found it made a huge difference. I don't need any Gaviscon now! I am only on one table a day, I think of 200mg.

I also found last time that eating earlier in the day and cutting out certain trigger foods (fruit juice, tomatoes etc) helped.

SweetPea86 Tue 11-Mar-14 19:51:20

A lady on here told me to try Zantac which you can buy over counter, 75mg twice a day it's the same as Ranitidine I went and bought it as was in agony one night. 5.99 for box and they are really good, don't take more that two in 24 hours, I double checked with midwife and she said fine to take. smile

Gaviscon just wasn't doing it for me any more

SweetPea86 Tue 11-Mar-14 19:52:12

Sorry meant to add I haven't had any side effects with zantac easy to take really small tablets

HannahG315 Tue 11-Mar-14 21:32:19

Tums!!! They are so yummy and the only thing that worked!

miniHovis Tue 11-Mar-14 21:42:11

I have been taking Ranitidine daily foe 2 weeks now and what a differance its made, Only been taking the 150mg dose

Para28 Wed 12-Mar-14 09:00:52

So I took my first dose (150mg - halved the pill!) last night, and I did sleep better - 5 hours woohoo! Needed a glug of Gaviscon too though, before dropping off. Hope we all remain heartburn and reflux -free! x

JustDanni Wed 12-Mar-14 19:22:52

I find that 150mg a day is sufficient for warding mine off. grin

SoonToBeSix Wed 12-Mar-14 20:34:27

I found omeprazole to be a miracle drug but only after a few days and you have to take it every day.

Para28 Sat 15-Mar-14 10:54:02

150mg zantac a day (before i go to bed) seems to be working - I can actually sleep through the night, without waking up coughing/gagging! Side effects seem to be constipation, stomach pain and lack of appetite (I feel like my stomach is emptying slower). Not too bad, and will hopefully wear off in a few days. xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now