Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Hypnosis CDs for child birth

(20 Posts)
SweetPea86 Mon 10-Mar-14 20:04:25

Went to see my midwife today, I'm really freaking out about childbirth even to the point I can't go to an antenatal class because I feel it will make me worse.

My midwife was so lovely and has even arranged to meet me through the week to show me around the maternity ward. She was so lovely and said to try hypnosis for child birth.

I'm a very anxouis person to the point I spend all day worrying about child birth it's taking the excitement away from having a baby.

Has any one else used the CDs were they helpful. She said they were about £80 but really helpful

Neeko Mon 10-Mar-14 20:08:08

I used natal hypnotherapy for my second birth. Ended up with a water birth that was one of the best experiences of my life. Seriously. I've never ver felt more empowered.
I have loaned the cd to quite a few friends and they have all found it useful.
It would give you something else to focus on rather than panicking...
Whatever you do, good luck and enjoy being a mum when the time comes.

SweetPea86 Mon 10-Mar-14 20:14:52

Thanks neeko will look in to getting CDs smile nice to hear it empowered you :D

Thatsnotmyfigure Mon 10-Mar-14 23:28:51

Yes the Natal Hypnotherapy kept me calm and positive in the run up. I didn't buy the post birth/ feeding etc. you should be able to get it on eBay or amazon around £10-15 quid I guess. Cannot recommend highly enough it's fantastic!

GingerMaman Mon 10-Mar-14 23:34:40

I bought it off ebay for £10 I think. It did help me be more positive about the birth

lucy101 Tue 11-Mar-14 03:17:35

I found natal hypnotherapy amazing, very anxious here too and I have no doubt it got me through a very difficult birth. Am going to do the CS one now. Acupressure was the other revelation, take a look at Debra Bretts' site.

SweetPea86 Tue 11-Mar-14 08:38:42

Thanks ladies I'll have a look on ebay I didn't think of that. Save me a few bob smile

GingerMaman Tue 11-Mar-14 09:10:14

If you can afford it, go for a doula.

Snowlet Tue 11-Mar-14 09:46:44

This book is changing everything for me, I HIGHLY recommend it for anyone afraid of the birthing experience: www.amazon.co.uk/Hypnobirthing-Natural-Approach-Comfortable-Birthing/dp/0757302661

I'm not trying to push natural birth on you, this book will be helpful even if you plan the full whack of pain relief or a CS or whatever, it's still empowering.

SweetPea86 Tue 11-Mar-14 09:56:09

Thanks you

cakegoblin Tue 11-Mar-14 21:02:09

Another vote for natal hypnotherapy, I listened to the normal delivery one a few times before the birth and listened to the music one during labour, was so relaxed and found the whole experience really positive (despite not being 100% straightforward birth), had a huge hormone high for days which I am convinced was due to being free of fear thanks to the CDs. You don't need to "believe" in hypnotherapy for it to be useful.

solitaire89 Fri 14-Mar-14 20:25:51

Yet another vote for Natal Hypnotherapy here!

I was just like you, I sat in my Dr's surgery and bawled my eyes out I was so scared of labour and birth - and that was BEFORE we even started TTC. The NHS's "solution" was an early epidural, but they seemed to be missing the point. It wasn't the just pain I was afraid of, it was the whole process - the loss of control, the loss of dignity, the inability to cope, all topped off with a cherry of pain. Through my degree in animal behaviour I came to realise that humans are the only animal who routinely have pain relief drugs and who routinely need intervention. And from this I started to look into a different route for my birth. I came across hypnosis for birth - both the HypnoBirthing and the Natal Hypnotherapy, and again, before even TTC I bought both books. (I suppose in hindsight, the fear I felt was stopping me from wanting to become pregnant.) I really didn't like the "tone" of the HypnoBirthing programme, but the Natal Hypnotherapy offered a wide range of cds for different plans. I loved the fact that they did a hospital birth prep cd as well as a c section birth prep cd and a home birth prep cd. It made me feel that whatever birth I planned I wasn't going to be considered a failure in the Natal Hypnotherapy's eyes. I read the Natal Hypnotherapy "Effective Birth Preparation" and then on becoming pregnant realised that my mindset had already altered. I went from thinking I would most probably be accepting the epi as soon as I needed it, to actively planning a home birth. At my booking appt at 9 weeks I told the MW that I didn't want to rule out a home birth and it was written onto my notes there and then. I bought the 4 cd programme tailored to home birth, and set about listening to them - pregnancy relaxation 2 or 3 times a week and the birth prep one every day from 32 weeks. I never had any problems during pregnancy, sleeping through the night every night (no hundreds of night time trips to the loo), no food aversions and no sickness of note, no aches or pains - nothing! I really put that down to the pregnancy relaxation cd.

I suppose the next logical question to answer though is "does it work on the day?". In short - YES! I had a completely pain free, drug free, FEAR FREE labour and home birth. I worked all day in labour (something else that had terrified me before the Natal Hypnotherapy was the thought of going into labour at work) and then went home, bathed and did my makeup (we were going out that evening!), got fish and chips and ate them, went for a walk, watched a film and then fell asleep on the sofa until my body started pushing! I remained entirely in control through out the whole labour, and was entirely comfortable at EVERY point! I really recommend it!

If you have any more questions, feel free to shout me!

squizita Fri 14-Mar-14 20:52:33

Solitaire have you studied the differences between the human pelvis (walking upright) and other animals? We're not best evolved for giving birth - a pay off for excellent upright balance - and had (back before medicine was so available) a very high maternal fatality rate compared to other animals. Possibly why pain relief was invented and over-embraced at first (because they didn't realise it could slow things down then).
Just putting that out there as, like you, I've found the tone of some CDs to be slightly shaming of those of us who might (or know we will due to pre-existing conditions) need to use medical care. I can hypno all I want ... my blood's still gonna be a risky texture and will need someone checking it regularly.

solitaire89 Sun 16-Mar-14 19:20:03

We looked at human evolution and behaviour, yes. Because of the decrease in pelvis size to allow for bipedal walking, due to the obvious evolutionary drivers, pregnancy became shorter to allow the baby to be born a) before the head got too big to birth (also helps the fact that our heads, relatively are bigger due to big brains ;) ), and b) before the bones in the baby's skull fused, allowing them to flex and pass over each other during birth. That's why human babies are born relatively underdeveloped compared to other species where the offspring are born and then pretty much get up and walk - all humans are born "premature". I'm not saying that humans are all sorted though. That would be naive. Exactly the same as any sheep farmer will tell you that there is always that one ewe that needs some help - it's the difference in the rate of intervention that is interesting.
I think that's what I liked about the Natal Hypnotherapy, there is no judgement there at all. If they were of the opinion that "if you just do what we say you'll have your baby with no issues" then they wouldn't do a cd for prep for a c-section! Squizita, have you looked at the Natal Hypnotherapy? If you know you have the potential for much intervention (and by heck are we ALL glad the medics are there when we do need them!), then it might be of help for you to keep yourself as calm and in control as possible in what could potentially be a very stressful situation - one less thing to worry about??

JuniorMint Sun 16-Mar-14 19:25:56

At 32 weeks, I am just about the start the natal hypnotherapy CDs following a recommendation from a friend who had 2 hour labour the first time and 45 minute labour the second time! Looking forward to listening to it and finding out more about how it all works, as well as hearing others' experiences.

It's this one.

solitaire89 Sun 16-Mar-14 19:28:55

Basically - just turn off the phone, shut yourself away and listen!! Seriously, that's the best prep of all with this programme smile Try to listen at a time that you wouldn't normally be going to sleep if you can. I listened in my lunch hour, and it worked out great timewise - just enough time to listen and then get food!

KiwiBanana Sun 16-Mar-14 19:29:20

Sorry to hijack but can anyone recommend something I can listen to that's available to download from iTunes? I tried searching for the natal hypnotherapy but they don't have it and we don't have a CD player.

squizita Sun 16-Mar-14 19:30:39

Thanks - I will try the Natal one, it sounds good. I'm also going to try some yoga and mindfulness.

The thing is, I'm not stressed so much by the idea that this entire pregnancy is 'medicalised' (my blood condition has a 90%+ loss rate if untreated, and having had the losses before diagnosis I'm enormously relieved and have no regrets) but by the attitude of some books/CDs/people makes me feel like a let-down to womankind. The blithe "your body is designed for this" doesn't wash so well when you know if it wasn't for medicine it wouldn't be.

solitaire89 Sun 16-Mar-14 19:40:20

I agree totally Squizita - the HypnotBirthing made me feel like a failure for considering an epi before birth!
At the end of the day, anything that helps remove stress and fear has to be a good thing, right??

KiwiBanana - NH do their tracks in MP3 format. The instructions are on their website on how to download and then you can import into iTunes. If you get stuck at all, just give them a ring, I know they'll help you smile You can always say that I said I was sure they'd help you ;)

solitaire89 Sun 16-Mar-14 19:46:59

Have just been told - you stick the MP3 into your music library, then scan it in iTunes, and then it will import it and convert it for you. However, I cannot take responsibility for iTunes - I don't own anything Apple!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now