Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Is this it? Contractions and all?

(12 Posts)
Charingcrossbun Sun 09-Mar-14 07:11:30

So many people told me I would "just know" when labour started but I'm still not sure -
I woke at 1100 with strong period pain. I dosed in and out until 0100 when I thought I'd see if the pain was regular. I had 4 distinct back/period pains over the next hour. The pain then changed to feeling bump move and everything tightening. Eventually I got back to sleep and DP
has woken me this morning all excited because he says he could hear my breathing change every so often and thinks this is it...

Antenatal classes said contractions never last for more than a minute but these pains did...
Could it be?
I'm fully cooked and ready! Anything I should do to help it along?

rubyslippers Sun 09-Mar-14 07:16:42

Could be everything gearing up

Have you had a show? Keep active and mobile and eat whilst you can

You may be in the very early stages of labour which can last a long time so don't be disheartened if you don't go into established labour very quickly

You will know they are contractions as they won't stop
When you change position unlike Braxton hicks

KatharineClover Sun 09-Mar-14 07:55:01

I'm sure I read somewhere that Braxton hicks can last longer than contractions so that might be why they are over a minute...?

Charingcrossbun Sun 09-Mar-14 08:45:22

No show and everything seems to have stopped..... Very annoying! Still it's a sunny day so will get up and at em and see if that helps things along. Might wear my best undies too just to tempt fate.......

Mumof3xx Sun 09-Mar-14 08:47:02

I had this for three days with my dc1 and a week with my dc2 op!

I would take it as a good sign that your body is getting ready

Charingcrossbun Sun 09-Mar-14 10:08:09

Thanks Mumof3 -
3 days seems a long time at the moment but I suppose it's not in the grand scheme of things!!!!grin

Mumof3xx Sun 09-Mar-14 10:10:02

Nope and it will be so worth it when your holding your beautiful baby

evasjenson Sun 09-Mar-14 14:03:16

When you due? X

Charingcrossbun Sun 09-Mar-14 15:24:45

I'm 39+4 so any day!
Baked a groaning cake this afternoon! I doubt this is a good an exercise when you use a food mixer but still, kept me busy! X

rubyslippers Sun 09-Mar-14 19:42:06

a groaning cake - never heard of that!

Charingcrossbun Sun 09-Mar-14 20:18:04

It's a traditional Cornish cake you make end of pg/during labour for something to do, to keep moving and to provide iron etc after birth. DP is meant to take it with him and then offer some to the First people he meets to tell them about the birth. I think DP is meant to be a Cornish tin minor with a flat clap and a knowing smile.
Of course we'll simply eat it but gave me something to do!

rubyslippers Sun 09-Mar-14 21:24:05

that's so lovely smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now