Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Stairs

(8 Posts)
Hobby2014 Sat 08-Mar-14 20:06:12

Does anybody live up a few flights of stairs? How do you get pushchair up and down?
I live on 3rd floor. I'm planning to put baby in a carrier on me and then bump or carry the pram up/down. I haven't got anywhere to store the pushchair downstairs and the stairwell is open to the elements, it's not enclosed. How does anyone else do it? Is it a pain? Do you get used to it?
Also can anyone recommend a good carrier / sling if that's the way forward. Thanks!

stargirl1701 Sat 08-Mar-14 20:12:16

No stairs but a stretchy wrap like a Moby is good to start with. Or, a Close Caboo if you struggle with tying. A Connecta or Ergo carrier would be good after 6 months.

Maybe rely on the sling until 6 months and just get an umbrella fold stroller rather than a pram?

You could repost in Slings and carriers and Pushchairs - very knowledgeable MNetters in both. Look under Products.

PenguinsEatSpinach Sat 08-Mar-14 20:33:51

I assume you don't have a car? My friend has this, and her buggy just lives in the boot.

Other than that, you might find that you want to use slings until you get past the stage where you need a pram type buggy, as an umbrella fold type will be much easier to get up and down stairs.

PeanutPatty Sat 08-Mar-14 20:37:49

Close Caboo. Simple and comfy.

Hobby2014 Sun 09-Mar-14 19:14:08

That's for your help.
We have got a car, but my husband will be using it for work in the week so can't do that. That would have been handy though. Will look into those slings, thanks!

PenguinsEatSpinach Sun 09-Mar-14 19:21:51

If you have a car, and therefore will be buying a car seat, another thought would be the type of chassis that can clip a car seat. When I had DD1 (though this was 5 years ago, so do look into it on the pushchairs board) I had a Quinny Zapp. Itself it isn't suitable from birth because it doesn't recline, but you can clip a car seat onto it. The frame then folds very small. You could carry the car seat upstairs and leave it tucked in the stairwell and then go back for it when the baby was somewhere safe?

Not great for long periods because babies shouldn't be in car seats for long periods, but might be a useful pram option for the first few months, with the benefit that it is a small and easily carried pushchair for later too?

PenguinsEatSpinach Sun 09-Mar-14 19:23:02

Sorry, that wasn't clear. The 'it' you leave tucked in the stairwell is obviously the buggy frame, not the car seat and baby!!

chattychattyboomba Sun 09-Mar-14 19:25:26

My friend lives in a basement flat with steep stairs and bought a city select. Folds really easily and can be carried with one hand.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now